• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well 2020 is over and even though the year wasn't so great I did get my dragon goal of 12 dragons completed (actually completed 15 !) So with the new year I'm looking to try it again.   The

Final pics before I go to the show off thread. I think the whole thing came out pretty amazing!  At the last I added a small interloper who may or may not be permanent... He sort of snuck in and

Started on the dragon body.  No real surprise here, going for a bright reddish orange.  I think I want the wings in blue or green just to add to the contrast.  Thd belly will will be a reddish ivory w

Posted Images

@Glitterwolf @LarsM @Kuroneko Thanks for the encouragement! Right now I am waiting for the clear resin to harden.  At its current rate I will be able to take it out of the mold on Monday.  Magic water makes a lovely clear long lasting clear water that takes color well but it does take forever to harden!

once the resin hardens, the next phase is final assembly and touchup on the various miniatures: this is the original kit from Ral Partha and the material is a very soft lead and I have to be carful or I can wear off the detail just by holding the piece.  Even a stiff nylon brush will remove material from the sculpt so you need to be really careful when handling these. my concern with the project, as a whole, is that it will droop or sag from the weight of the metal but I have added pinning and supports to try and prevent that.

Thanks again and next update will probably be Monday!

• Like 5

Results of the pour are in

20210219_203331.jpg.43dea356030a955d98179e0ecf3e245c.jpg20210219_203420.jpg.2e4a3527d70a1f3008af3d93b144954e.jpg

20210219_203402.jpg.71c8d37d58eb2ad3ac9c2b9852d14e11.jpg

20210219_203435.jpg.7f47ecfc898f9b3b80fe89d7eaaeefe7.jpg

There's a little ridge at the edge of the pour but I don't know if I'm willing to risk the shiny surface to get the surface flat.

I'll do the touch ups and formal pictures soon!

• Like 11

Final pics before I go to the show off thread. I think the whole thing came out pretty amazing!  At the last I added a small interloper who may or may not be permanent...20210222_220145.thumb.jpg.d7e62e938186b7c8d3cd19405dde9d76.jpg

He sort of snuck in and found a home when noome was looking 

20210222_220145.jpg.ed013cdd1e5412f5ab7d6c402105b497.jpg

20210222_220054.thumb.jpg.40f9337e909256784b3694fe56541934.jpg

20210222_220129.thumb.jpg.4fbc3815ea246f43639ac74d8cc9e28b.jpg20210222_220217.thumb.jpg.a3a5d5f7e95d355eebd51451f6ddbc13.jpg

Anyone have any final words of advixe/you missed something comments?

• Like 16

@Samedi I was considering wave ripples but the material I am trying to duplicate is a heavy hot mineral lake similar to the sulphur springs in Yellowstone national Park.  When I was there many many years ago they would let you sample some of the water on the tour the stuff had the viscosity of glycerin even when it was near boiling and the pool was stinking hot and completely still even on the breezy autumn day we visited.  It was both amazing and a little scary.  Nothing living got within 10 feet of the pools and the atmosphere was almost choking on the Sulphur 

@Kuroneko thanks for that the water came out pretty well in my opinion.  Beautiful and with only stones for contrast, am implication of deadly.  I considered some bones in the shallows but I didn't know how clear it would wind up. Maybe next time I will hide the bodies ::D:

Thanks to both of you for the input, I really like how this came out.  Any thoughts about using some of the bos.art?

• Like 5

Okay, if no one has any more suggestions (including whether or not the little pseudo dragon should continue to hide under the little cave) I will be taking some more photos against other backgrounds and see what works to post in the show off thread and maybe add her to the other miniatures contest.  I am still debating ripples.  the initial art has them but it would mess up the beautiful finish on the current surface and possibly wreck that deep blue that seems to add so much depth.

thanks everyone!

• Like 6

This is absolutely awsome! I remember looking at this set as a kid through a shop window ..absolutely amazed. And this piece gives it life. 

I like the calm blue water, like an underground lake in a huge  cave.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Evilhalfling
      So when I unpacked this Big Boi in 2017  I thought he would look really cool without wings.  but I'm it will be a lot of careful work to carve off the joins and resculpt him,  I just don't think I'm ready.  In February I did the scales for my verocthulu conversion, and thought "I could have done that better."
      So this is better.  

This Dragon will be the colors or earth.   Burnt Umber base, and a hide scattered with Burnt Sienna, Tusk Ivory, and Leather Brown with ochre and NNM gold colors on the belly. 
      perhaps some cool gray or blue washes in the shadows.   The scales will be individually shaded, and the hide below staying the color of brown liner, or umber in the well lit areas. 

So far its been about 4 hrs of work in sculpting, cleaning, gluing and mold line removal.
      it took 45 min just to cover him in brown liner.  He is a really big dragon, and I have no idea how long this is going to take. 

but im getting a little obesessed - I don't want to schedule a meeting or go grocery shopping, I want to add more paint... 
      this feels like how I ended up with a dragon named Insomnia - who was painted almost entirely between 10pm and 7 am.   I kept waking up with new color ideas. 
      Or the DDS2 dragon who I spent 2-4 hours a day painting for a solid week, and another hour a night for the week after.  

The last picture is my inspiration for the scale colors - the eyes will be much simpler than this. 

• By 72moonglum
      Good afternoon all you reaperfiles! 

So I haven't painted anything by Sandra Garrity for the longest of times, so I'm glad I started this little figure up, Ellana Dragonmistress, a female druid she sculpted long ago for Ral Partha. Beautiful little figure with her traditionally petite eyes.  The hardest part on this one, besides the eyes, was deciding on what colors I'd use.  As I listen to a lot of Anne Forester's Twitch channel over lunch and she talks so much about color theory, I always wonder if my colors match or not, but ultimately, without a color wheel to whip out, I end up guessing and hope it all ends up matching more or less. One day I'd like to figure out what colors totally clash 1000% and paint with those, but that is for some future miniature surely.

So here she is:

One thing I really like about her is that besides her staff, she carries no weapons, which makes her a reasonably simple miniature to paint, but also gives you that feeling that she knows she's so bada$$ that she just doesn't need any weapons. I also really like her cowboy boots.  Why a blue dragon head?  No idea, it's what arrived to my brain.

So anyhoos, enjoy!

• By Iridil
      It only took me 35+ years to paint these....

Somewhere, in a box, are the tiny goblins which are the riders to these wolves. Paint job inspired by 72moonglum (mine are a rather poor second to the original I am afraid). https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/64325-ral-partha-goblin-imp-wolf-riders-kind-of-pic-heavy/
      I iincluded a shot with the Reaper Warg to give you an idea how small these fellows are. More wolves for the forest! And I finally painted them - wow

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all you Reapervellians,

So I had these figures sitting around and primed for probably about two or three years, and then while trying to start up another project, I ended up grabbing these.

These are four new figures, sculpted by Dave Summers, famous for his Darksword anthropomorphic miniatures as well as decades of other finely sculpted figures, that he sculpted for Ral Partha's Chaos Wars game in 2016, associated with a Kickstarter if I recall correctly, and then a rather old figure, the female dwarf, who was sculpted by Dennis Mize back in I think 1977-1978.

Nowadays of course, figures are a lot larger, but Dave Summers sculpted these four new dwarves to that old school 25 millimeter scale, which means they are pretty petite. If I remember afterwards I'll snap some kind of comparison photo with some common item. I always forget to do that for some reason.

Anyhoos, here they are:

and here's the lady dwarf. I separated her out because I actually have an older version that I did of her years ago as a gift for somebody, and wanted to show it as a comparison.

Here's the one I just painted:

and here she is probably already five or six years earlier:

I had her on a much larger base in the original version.

Anyhow, that's all for today folks, enjoy at your leisure!

• By Cicciopiu
      Hello forum Family, gonna show you my version of D'Vandra Lukesia, the metal one. I had hard time with her (but this is part of the fun, isn't?), so many tiny details and her face is sooo tiny 
      In any case I managed to paint her and I'm happy of she came out! 
      About the palette I chose the colors on the fly, started with the yellow skirt and simply add colors at the moment I needed to paint a detail, like the amaranth scarf, or the blue bag, the green vial, and so on.
      I hope you like her too :)

Hi-res pics

• Who's Online   7 Members, 0 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)