26 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Hi all.  Apparently I have been gifted with a resin printer.  I have not had a chance to take it out if the box but I think it's a small Mars unit and some miscellaneous resin.  Apparently my friends friends wife told his friend 'it stinks,, get rid of it and he already had one he wasn't using.  So... starting recommended primers without going through a million hours of video?  I prefer reading instructions to video...

HI Rob, I have a lot of experience with printers. I'll send you email direct. I'm in your roll20 group

• Like 1
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/4/2021 at 6:12 AM, Kangaroorex said:

Hi all.  Apparently I have been gifted with a resin printer.  I have not had a chance to take it out if the box but I think it's a small Mars unit and some miscellaneous resin.  Apparently my friends friends wife told his friend 'it stinks,, get rid of it and he already had one he wasn't using.  So... starting recommended primers without going through a million hours of video?  I prefer reading instructions to video...

Primers, as in what to prime printed resin minis with?

After washing/Curing I had great results using Reaper Brown Liner or Vallejo Brush on Primer. For the latter I prefer the Israeli Sands Grey 61-73 Surface Primer.

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Primers, as in what to prime printed resin minis with?

After washing/Curing I had great results using Reaper Brown Liner or Vallejo Brush on Primer. For the latter I prefer the Israeli Sands Grey 61-73 Surface Primer.

Primers as in written guides to how to do something, not a base painting material ::D:

Call me a bohemian but I dislike youtube education.  most youtubers fee that they have to provide 30 minutes of personal discourse for every minute of actual useful information and of course they have to plug their website, and their other posts.  I dont blame them, but its not my style.  I just want a list of do this, this, and that for the following result in a step by step format with no commentary or anecdotes, which makes for very little entertainment value but i dont want entertainment, i want a solution.

OTOH this whole part of the project is on hold... my friend forgot to bring the transformer portion of the power cable so until i get that, nothing is going to happen! :blink:

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

Primers as in written guides to how to do something, not a base painting material ::D:

Call me a bohemian but I dislike youtube education.  most youtubers fee that they have to provide 30 minutes of personal discourse for every minute of actual useful information and of course they have to plug their website, and their other posts.  I dont blame them, but its not my style.  I just want a list of do this, this, and that for the following result in a step by step format with no commentary or anecdotes, which makes for very little entertainment value but i dont want entertainment, i want a solution.

OTOH this whole part of the project is on hold... my friend forgot to bring the transformer portion of the power cable so until i get that, nothing is going to happen! :blink:

Resin Printing Basics?

• Wear a mask and gloves when handling resin ( liquid) and wear gloves when handling uncured minis.
  • Fill the VAT with resin, no more than twothird of the VAT or it might spill over.
  • I used Kapton Tape to protect the edges of the LCD screen in case resin should spill over ( you can see that in my Printing Adventure's Thread.
  • Setup a print file on the USB stick and insert, choose Print and go.
  • Do not disturb the printer, be careful not to bump into it etc...
  • When done, lift the lid, ( wear gloves and mask).
  • Scrape the model from the build plate using a PLASTIC scraper.
  • Dunk it in IPA or methylated alcohol.
  • Dunk it in warm ( not boiling!) water scrub it carefully with an old toothbrush if you like, be careful with tiny/flimsy parts, in that case don't use the toothbrush.
  • Use a paper towel, moisten it a little with IPA/Methylated Alcohol and clean that buildplate rightaway!
  • Put the buildplate back and close the lid.
  • Now ( while wearing gloves) remove the supports on the mini.
  • Because they were dunked in warm water they will be softer, use a hobbyknife, the sidecutters that came with the printer ( or buy a good one if you didn't get one) and the old toothbrush to remove the supports.
  • You can always file/sand a little when needed.
  • You WILL break off parts the fisrt few times till you get the hang of it. It can be glued together again with superglue.
  • Now put the model under an UV light ( Naildryer)/ in the Sun or use a wash and cure station.
  • Don't forget to clean your tools you used and wear gloves while doing so.
  • Let the resin cure ( become harder, it will get a little darker and you won't smell it much anymore.
  • When cured you can handle it without gloves and prime/paint etc.
  • When sanding/filing DO wear a mask, resin dust is something you want to keep out of your lungs.

Enjoy, hope this helped.

Another thing, some people love presupported minis, I tend to discard those or just use them as a basic.

Never trust them, always add or tinker supports because you will have failures if you don't check for islands and repair where needed.

Also by placing supports yourself and angling the mini like you want it ( in Chitubox or Lychee) you can save resin and reduce printing time.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thank you @Glitterwolf thats helpful.  gives me areas i can ask specific questions of later once I get started.  People learn in different ways and to me most of the videos (a number of which that I have run into would take 2 hours to say what you just did) are maddening to me when it comes to actually doing something.  the worst part is when they will spend 20 minutes on a task I find obvious and then skip over something else in 10 seconds that is causing my problems.

I appreciate you and Jay taking the time with me.  Its not a high priority project on my part, i have a lot of other things to do and this is just one of them but it may help to get me to clean out some stuff in the garage.  Hopefully i will get the power cord this week and i can give something simple a try!

• Like 1
On 4/4/2021 at 6:12 AM, Kangaroorex said:

I still recommend 3dprintingpro videos. Short, to the point and you can learn a lot about placing supports etc. Ask and I will try to help where I can

Edited by Glitterwolf

Here are the latest of my Tiny Tanks. It's been a while since I've had a failure, so I think (fingers crossed) that I might have the hang of support placement, for this sort of thing at least.

2021-04-03-LeFH-18aufGW-B2.jpg

2021-04-06-CharB1Flammpanzer.jpg

They're both Beutepanzer — captured French tanks pressed into service by the Germans in WWII. The original vehicle was the Char B1(bis) heavy tank; the camouflaged one was converted into a 105mm self-propelled gun, and the grey one was a flamethrower tank. Both are 1:100 scale models, from designs by M.Bergman.

• Like 3

The Char B1 was a brute, and driven by an experienced crew they made mincemeat of the German II and IIIs they came across. One of these took out a whole company of tanks alone, thanks to the heavy armor and the two guns, while taking hits on the turret and front armor.   

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbZiFgLgaeU

It's one of my brother's favorite tanks on WoT... 

All you need now is a couple of 'Female'(machine gun turret) Renault FTs parked in concrete reinfored dugouts to act as armored machine gun emplacements.  (The turret had all-round 22mm armor, good enough to withstand most handheld firearms)   

• Like 1

2021-04-20-WinterWarSovietInfantry-WiP.j

I bought this set of STLs for 3d printing 15mm Soviet infantry in the 1936-40 uniform, suitable for the Winter War period. They were designed by a guy who goes by the moniker "just some miniatures" on wargaming3d.com.

I've always been interested in the Winter War between Finland and the Soviet Union in 1939-40, because it was a real David vs. Goliath affair, and one in which Goliath ( the Soviets) got their arses royally kicked until their numbers, and international apathy and obstructionism about supporting the Finns, began to make a difference. The Soviets won in the end, after taking horrendous casualties.

My sympathies in that fight were unequivocally with the Finns, who were bullied by the Soviets and shafted by everyone else in Europe (except, as it happens, the Nazis, so it's not that surprising they ended up on their side later on). However, by fielding the Soviets, I get to play with the ridiculous T-35 and T-28 land dreadnoughts, and even the SMK in the Experimental Heavy Tank Company.

The colours of the Soviet uniforms at this period were slightly different to the more familiar post-1940 changes, and about half of the figures are wearing the budenovka, the pointed felt hat worn by the Russians ever since WW1 (and maybe before, I'm not 100% sure). The helmets they're wearing are also of an earlier type, with a crest and much more pronouncedly flared brim.

I've printed these guys on my Mars Pro of course, and I've glued them to 12.5mm (½") steel washers, both to provide some bottom-weight, and also so I can use them with magnetised sabot bases to ease moving the vast numbers of infantry I'll be needing.

• Like 2

To go along with the T-35s, T-28s, and the SMK for my Winter War Soviets, I need some smaller, more useful tanks. I have some Zvezda T-26s, but they're a much later model with a snazzy drop-forged turret — the same turret, I think, as was used on the BT-7.

2017-11-12-Zvezda15mmT26-003.jpg

So I fired up Blender and whipped up this very early version of the T-26, from 1933. It was of all-riveted construction, and the turret-basket was a little tacked-on affair.

2021-04-23_T26B-early_WiP-06.jpg

By 1940 it had been superseded by newer models, with more welded construction and a turret with an integrated basket.

I discovered, after I was well into the process, that Bergman has already done a 1:100 scale model of this very tank. Oh well, not to worry.

The test-print went well enough, and the model is printable. There are a couple of areas of distortion, but those are due to inadequate supports, not the model's geometry.

2021-04-25-T26B_1933.jpg

I may add some clutter — some tools and the like — but for all intents and purposes, the model is done and I can move on to something else.

• Like 3

I've added a couple of versions of the later (much more common) drop-forged turret. In truth, this type of turret would be much more appropriate for my Winter War force.

2021-04-23_T26B-early_WiP-08.jpg

From memory, I think only about one in ten tanks carried a radio, and troop control was carried out via signal flags. That ratio improved markedly later in WWII, but to begin with the Soviets lagged far behind pretty much every other belligerent nation in that respect.

As of writing, I haven't yet printed these turrets. I suspect that aerial will require quite a delicate touch with the supports.

• Like 2

2021-04-29-T26B-1933.jpg

And now those turrets are printed as well. The 15mm Soviet infantry is also 3d printed.

Now I'm ready to print as many as I need for the illegal and bullying invasion of Finland. I'm sure there will be no problems at all driving them all the way across those completely flat, open frozen lakes with gloomy bunker-concealing forests on all sides.

• Like 3

On the suggestion of Richard Humble, over at the Facebook 3d Printing For Historical Wargames page, I modified my T-26 model to make this flamethrower variant, the OT-130 (or XT-130, or KhT-130, depending on who you read).

It's a very straightforward conversion. There are a bunch of little details to be modified, but the only major structural change was moving the turret over from the port to the starboard side of the hull.

2021-05-02-OT130.jpg

• Like 3

2021-05-07-OT-130.jpg

I got the OT-130 painted.  I was originally planning to do it in winter white, but apparently the Soviets didn't bother with camouflage when they steamrollered into Finland in 1939.

• Like 2