Thunderbolt Mountain/Ral Partha Legacy Ballerina Fairies by Tom Meier

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

They look great, I like how you used different skintones and colours for the clothing.

I do not trust them though, those wandguns look a bit deadly.

Thanks Glitterwolf!  The instinct starts, in order to get them done quickly, was to paint them all the same color, same clothing and skin tones, but then my stubborn side came out and wanted them to have a bit of variety.   Took a lot longer, and like I said above, I gave up with their tutus, because I wanted to finish sooner than later, and to kind of give them some kind of uniform aspect.

I'm sure the wands just shoot pure happiness!

1 hour ago, Mystikant said:

Upeaa työtä! :poke:

I like the colors, the eyes are amazing also.

Are they as small as other minis from Thunderbolt's range?

Kiitoksia, mä olen onnellinen, että sä tykkäät niistä!

Yeah, they are pretty small miniatures.  They are basically child-sized versions of Tom's stuff, even though they might be child-sized against a 30 mm figure and not a 25 mm figure.  I'll have to take another shot with some objects to compare for size reference.  They are pretty petite!

• Like 2

These are absolutely great. I saw these on the legacy site recently and was on the fence about getting them, but I think your paint jobs are pushing me towards putting them in the cart. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, will you be painting the flying unicorns to go with them?

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Mystikant said:

I've got a few of Tom's elves and they are tiny. Even more stunning work on such a small canvas.

A bit odd to see some Finnish here, but mukavaa viikkoa! ::D:

Yeah, the hardest thing with Tom's figures are the eyes, which are often so extremely small!

Maailma on täynnä ihmeitä näin, asuin siellä Suomessa yli 30 vuotta sitten ja kieli on aina ihastuttanut minua!

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

These are absolutely great. I saw these on the legacy site recently and was on the fence about getting them, but I think your paint jobs are pushing me towards putting them in the cart. Thanks!

Just out of curiosity, will you be painting the flying unicorns to go with them?

Don't hesitate, you only live once, put them in your cart!  These pictures are showing up now there for a little bit of color!

I've got both the flying unicorns and am planning on doing them soon.  I'm going to take a small fairy break, paint up a few Parthas, and then am going to come back to them, hopefully in a month or two.

• Like 2

I love those fairy girls. I'm so glad that I was able to get a set of them before Thunderbolt Mountain stopped making them. But I didn't get any of the unicorn pegasus ones.

Part of me kind of hopes that Dark Sword takes them up as a sort of legacy line.

• Like 1
33 minutes ago, odinsgrandson said:

I love those fairy girls. I'm so glad that I was able to get a set of them before Thunderbolt Mountain stopped making them. But I didn't get any of the unicorn pegasus ones.

Part of me kind of hopes that Dark Sword takes them up as a sort of legacy line.

I saw the set you painted and they are really beautiful, you did a wonderful job on them! 

So Dark Sword doesn't have them but Ral Partha Legacy has begun selling them as well as other figures from Thunderbolt Miniatures.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, ferret said:

Yes, a great job.  I especially liked the eyes.  It took a lot of skill to do those eyelids, but they really add a lot to the look of their faces.

Glad you like them! It’s all part of that same process. I figure if the eyes and faces turn out okay, the rest will more or less follow

Edited by 72moonglum
4 hours ago, ferret said:

Yes, a great job.  I especially liked the eyes.  It took a lot of skill to do those eyelids, but they really add a lot to the look of their faces.

Yeah, I've painted these minis before, and those are some extremely tiny faces. They look great.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, odinsgrandson said:

Yeah, I've painted these minis before, and those are some extremely tiny faces. They look great.

Thank you much Odinsgrandson! I have to say that the good thing about these faces, even though they are small, at least they are easy to get to, they don't have weapons in the way obstructing your paint brush or anything like that, so that at least helped.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By 72moonglum
      Good morning Reaperniks!

So I've had this mini painted already about a week, but here in Omaha, it's been mostly kind of cloudy and rainy, so wasn't able to get a decent picture until this morning.

This is Merlyon the Sorcerer, formerly of Thunderbolt Mountain and now being released by Ral Partha Legacy. Pretty fun figure to paint, and it's more akin to that 25 mm of yore:

I still have a few more from this range I want to get around to painting. This one also had the eyeholes poked into the eyes, but they worked out this time pretty simply.
      Eyeholes in the owl too!

Anyhoos, please enjoy responsibly!

• By 72moonglum
      So hello all you Reaperphonics!  

So finished this one recently.  I'd done the other Flying Pink Unicorn, and wanted a slightly different version of pink, so here's what I came up with.  This one, like the other fairy ballerinas, was sculpted by Tom Meier inspired by a design from his daughter with his company Thunderbolt Mountain Miniatures and now sold by Ral Partha Legacy.  Lots of different pictures because it's mini with basically lots angles, not just front and back, hope not too many photos:

They are the last of my ballerina fairies that I had from Ral Partha Legacy, going to have to now move on to something different I guess, maybe some Reaper Bones.....
    • By 72moonglum
      Hello all you Reaperoloques, anxiously waiting for your Kickstarter boxes to arrive at your doors!

I got my notice and hopefully I'll be seeing a big, beautiful box of plastic joy this Wednesday!  But in the meantime, just plugging away painting...

So I just finished these two Thunderbolt Mountain minis, and if you recall last time, I took y last photos with my new iPhone.  I considered doing this again with these two minis, but took photos with my camera and then with the iPhone, and the iPhone photos were too brash or stark, so I'm using the camera photos instead.

First Morgan le Fay:

and then the Lady in Waiting:

Both of these are available again for sale on Ral Partha Legacy's site, and actually they both come in the foot and mounted versions, but way back when, when I bought these, I didn't get the mounted versions, just their standing forms. 

Enjoyed doing both of them very much.  The only odd thing again were they had those eyes with recesses for the irises, which I don't really like, but at least in this case worked out I think okay.  I actually did a base walnut brown cover for the eyes and then when I went over them in white, the recesses remained unpainted and brown, so they turned out okay.  I think for the future though, with more of these recessed eyeballs I'll actually paint the color in that section and then go over them again with white. 

Another thing to mention is these are true 25 mm figures, when that used to mean something, so these are very small.  

Anyhoos, hope you enjoy and these can momentarily distract you whilst you wait for your boxes to arrive!

Happy Independence Day for those gringos that celebrate it, and Happy Sunday for those that don't!

• By 72moonglum
      Hello all you mortals hanging from this Reaper coil!

So tonight is another Tom Meier miniature, from his Arthurian range, which is now once again available at Ral Partha Legacy, the Lady of the Lake.  I'm really starting to get into these figures even with their small sizes and petite little heads. These are true 25 mm figures.  Got a few more kind of schedule to work on in the near future as well:

and a close up of her face, which, with my new iPhone I can apparently get very close up:

and a back view:

The only bummer about this one was I made her what I thought was going to be a nice little base, because she doesn't come on a base.  You can either glue her to a small square metal base or create something.  So I did a base which had "water" at the edge.  After I got it done and it dried though, I tried to get her on it, and her cloak was so long and straight across, I couldn't get it to accommodate itself to the base in a flat way to make it look good.  So I just threw some putty on another base, let it dry, and then just painted if simple blues.

Her color scheme itself is some pretty monotone colors, lots of blues, with just the flowers in her hair to have some bursts of color. 

Anyway, hope you enjoy!

• By 72moonglum
      Good evening Reaper Hoppers and Poppers,

So I just finished this miniature, who is a pretty small one. She's Gwenyvere, from Tom Meier's Arthurian line at Thunderbolt Mountain, currently being produced by Ral Partha Legacy.

I just got a new iPhone, and I took the pictures with it.  I think the pictures came out really nicely, and have done an automatically good job on the exposure and all.  My concern is does the automization of the exposure make it any different than if I would have had to work a little bit with the exposure?

To give a comparison, here is how my camera turned out:

It's a lot darker.

Anyhoos, looking for photographic opinions. 

And to give you an idea of how small this figure it is, here she is in comparison to a US quarter:

• Who's Online   20 Members, 1 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)