Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
An old friend from college is finally getting married so in addition to their more traditional wedding gift my wife and I decided to make them something as well. While my wife opted for a nice cross stitch wall hanger, I went my usual route of miniatures. As luck would have it I even pulled the perfect miniature from the last round of the Box of Goodwill.
Since I first met him my friend has always been a fan of Fallout, way more than I ever got into it. As a fan he owns all the games, has some Fallout wall art throughout his house, and even owns a large bucket filled with bottle caps; like I said he's a fan. So as a bonus wedding present I decided to paint up Astro Girl as the Nuka Cola girl.
This being a present I even attempted some simple eyes, a step I usually ignore.
I think he'll get a kick out of it and who knows my handiwork may even get a spot on the mantelpiece right next to his bottle of Nuka Cola Quantum.
A pair of speed painted 3d printed robots I completed during my 4th of July Paint Binge. I found the GW Contrast paints to be very good at covering large smooth surfaces easily. The red one was from a KS project by EC3D. (and yes, it's missing an arm) I am not sure where my husband found the other one, but maybe Thingaverse.
This is my first time sharing my miniatures step by step, and excited to do so. Hopefully I can learn some things and everyone else who views the thread will learn a bit too.
I have been looking forward to the Starcadia board game and especially painting the minis that come with it. So first up is the Weeble alien monster. I picked it for 2 reasons, 1 because it was a simple model and I wanted to try my hand at the big eye. There are 4 total Weeble models and it took about 4-5 hours to get to the point in the last photo. I decided to mimic the illustration that came on the Weeble card in the game, so I am using a similar color scheme.
First step was prepping the model, and removing the mold lines. 2 of the 4 models had 2 bad areas on their left fin that left gaps and a rough spot. To fix it, I tried a new method, I put a little varnish on each area. If you haven't tried it, I definitely recommend it for small gaps or trouble areas that need filled or smoothed. I put a small dab on, let it dry and done, no need to pull out the putty.
2nd step was priming. I don't like the spray can so I use gesso. It might take a little longer, but no noxious fumes and extra space needed, just brush it on and let it dry. I just spread it thin and quick most of the time, hence the streaking in the picture. The streaking never shows on a finished mini from what I have experienced.
3 is where the fun began for me, choosing the colors and beginning to paint. My most recent elven minis, I started experimenting with different ways to do base coating and time around I am trying a colored base that is different that the final paint layer. I'm trying this out to see if I can reduce a step in my process and still get results I like. After examining the illustration, I settled on a blue-green for the body of the Weeble, and yellow for the eye. I plan on keeping with the warm yellow highlight in the front and the cold blue / purple shadow in the back. Once I decided that, I chose my basing colors, of a dark yellow brown for the front and dark blue purple for the back.
4 with the base shadows on the model, I started working from dark to light. I mixed up a glaze of a medium green and medium purple blue. I gradually worked up the colors with multiple layers making sure to blend the colors together where the transition occurred between them. I left the eye alone, because the dark yellow brown was perfect for the yellow eye.
5 once I was happy with the dark colors, I moved on to my mid-tones. I mixed up glazes of yellow green for the warm light and a blue green for the cold light. I took my time on this step again applying the glazes in layers to build up the color. I decided to try reflected / bounce lighting on the model, so I applied the blue green more on top of the model and the yellow green more on the bottom. I imagine the lighting being blue white (like a daylight bulb) which results a warmer reflected light in the areas not directly hit by the blue light.
6 after a while I moved on to the eye. I continued with painting dark to light, so I chose an orange brown for the light area and the same yellow brown and dark blue purple for the shadowed area. Again I gradually applied the glazes and blended them together.
Overall I am pleased with the direction it is going, and it is still far from done. I having gotten to the brightest highlights or even attempted the mouth yet. After that will be the finishing touches, the green slime, and scaly lumps. In the illustration the lumps are black but I don't think black will look good, any suggestions? I was also thinking of doing a slime trail, or more drool I've not done something like that before does anyone have any suggestions in the direction? Or should I not do a slime trail or more drool?
I backed the Modiphius kickstarter for quite a few of these. The rules books are lovely with lots of illustrations that, I think, really have the feel of the books. The figures are very good quality resin and glued together and painted nicely. The only quibble I have is that the pose of Dejah Thoris is a bit bland, while John Carter himself looks distinctly silly, hopping about on one foot...
Anyway, spoilered for the large number of pictures:
Vending Machine Tech (Grade C) Dave thought he'd sneak off to Deck 17 for a quick cig.
Dave can rest in peace knowing the rest of his crew will be dead in 11 hours, the Hyperion mining colony slaughtered by Monday and Earth's population wiped out by July.
(I cannot believe I primed, based, shaded/highlighted the parasite only to end up plastering it in Vallejo Red and B4TBG)
Who's Online 18 Members, 1 Anonymous, 38 Guests (See full list)