The weekend kinda got away from me so I only just played tonight, but tomorrow the first scenario in the Burning Light campaign should be up.

• Like 2
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Excerpt from Ranger Aarn Cral's campaign journal 

After returning from the Shadow Deep we were ready for a rest. Between the many debriefings combined with all the comings and goings at the stronghold itself though rest wasn't in large supply. It was after a not very restful week our next mission appeared at the gate's. Ranger Yanko had rescued a Lorenthian survivor from a pack of Gnolls within the Shadow Deep. On their journey back they stumbled upon a ruin the survivor identified as the Convent of St. Emilia. They reported that the convent looked completely abandoned.  

The Convent was notable not only for the nuns healing prowess but the remarkable healing artifact they were rumored to possess. The silver decanter known as the Decanter of St. Emilia or the Decanter of Burning Light was rumored to have amazing healing abilities. It was said that water poured from the decanter onto a wound would wash it free of infection, poison, or any other corruption. If true that artifact could really help in our fight against the Shadow Deep.

Being the only "rested" party with experience inside the Shadow Deep we were chosen for the recovery mission. Armed with a map provided by ranger Yanko our mission is to search the convent for the artifact and if found return with it. I'm not exactly optimistic about our chances of finding it but we will follow our orders nonetheless. 

Setting out it took us nearly eight days to reach the convent. As reported it does appear abandoned and greatly damaged. A few towers are completely collapsed and the walls have been breached in multiple places. Its not obvious as of yet if the convent was attacked or if something else happened. We cautiously approached...

1.thumb.jpg.0fb3469b33434d78e0265d4a06068cdb.jpg

Starting out there are three choices for entering the convent, either through the gatehouse, courtyard, or ruined chapel. I opted to enter through the gatehouse itself mainly because as of now I intend to search the entire convent. With the scenario becoming more dangerous the longer you search we'll see if I can stick to this plan or not. 

Thanks to the nature of the mission healing is a little different too. After each scenario instead of fully healing all members instead return to half health or regain 3 health, whichever leaves them with a higher total. After healing in this way however figures can still attempt to regain 2 more health by having someone else make a Survival Roll (TN12) on their behalf. Each figure can only do this once however, though it is possible to try multiple Survival Rolls for the same figure it can only ever regain 2 health (or succeed once). You are also able to use potions and herbs as well and the Ranger can even use unused healing spells between games. Even with all that though I believe things can cascade very quickly, especially as you cannot replace any dead party members during the mission.

All scenarios (minus the last) end after turn nine with an Event Card drawn each turn. This is very interesting as each scenario has six specific event cards and then you add two more from a separate event deck that gradually gets more difficult and deadly. This is to represent the Shadow Deep mobilizing against you the longer you explore the convent. 

2.thumb.jpg.635817f15cf02c41845f11b0cb507a7d.jpg

Let's meet those proxies. 

The Orc and Krampus will be filling in for Ogres.

The Stormtroopers will be filling in for Ghouls.

The Skeletons will be filling in for Zombies.

The Lizard Wizard will be filling in for a Vulture.

3.thumb.jpg.53e99cf64fe8eb534f770ed9e2c20ff1.jpg

The Gatehouse consists of three rooms. The left room can only be accessed through a locked door with either a Pick Lock Roll (TN10) or a Strength Roll (TN14). The center room has three points of interest (Markers 2, 3, 4) these are three bodies dangling from long chains. The right room is accessible through a collapsed wall and has a treasure token in the far corner. Thanks to the last game my Ranger also starts the game minus 5 health so he's currently at 13.

4.thumb.jpg.f53c511156000c183c2466cfd4ca0010.jpg

Turn one before the game truly began my Ranger attempted a stealth roll and failed. Instead of the Ogre starting beside the treasure token it starts right in the center of the board. My Ranger then group activated with the Knight and Templar. The Knight and Templar both double moved while my Ranger used a regular move and then cast Heal on himself returning to full health. 

The Ogre moved in attacking my Knight, losing to a natural 20 it was killed outright. Balancing it out the Ghoul attacked my Hound and knocked it out in a single hit. 

Recruit 1 then attacked the Ghoul and lost taking 7 damage and going down to 4 health. My Arcanist then attacked the Ghoul and lost with a natural 1 taking 9 damage, going down to just 2 health. Recruit 2 then tried attacking the Ghoul and tied. Recruit 2 took 1 damage going down to 10 health while the Ghoul took 1 damage and went down to 9 health.   

The Event Deck then spawned a Zombie in the center room. 

5.thumb.jpg.63d21a619b9d97a862c770cc943b9c15.jpg

Turn two my Ranger group activated again with the Knight and Templar with all of them double moving towards the treasure.

The Ghoul then attacked my Arcanist and lost taking 1 damage and going down to 8 health. The Zombie double moved towards the party. 

My Archer moved and then took a shot at the Zombie, hitting it took 1 damage going down to 5 health. Recruit 2 attacked the Ghoul and lost taking 3 damage going down to 7 health. My Arcanist also attacked the Ghoul and killed it. Recruit 1 then double moved.

The Event Deck then spawned another Zombie in the center room. 

6.thumb.jpg.6c8ae30b249655cb22332bba00485725.jpg

Turn Three my Ranger group activated alongside my Knight and Templar with them all double moving towards the treasure. 

The two Zombies double moved towards the party.

My Archer shot the Zombie again and hit doing 2 damage and bringing it down to 3 health. Everyone else used double moves to encircle my Archer in preparation of the Zombies arrival.

The Event Deck then brought about a cloud of small insects. Every hero must make a Will Roll (TN12) or miss its next activation.

7.thumb.jpg.ee02202b88a9e6178ac9d902bd0207ff.jpg

Turn four my Ranger failed his Will Roll and didn't activate.

The Zombies once again double moved towards the party. 

My Knight passed the Will Roll and picked up the treasure. My Templar also passed and moved into combat with the wounded Zombie. Recruit 2 then failed the check and did not activate. My Archer passed and attacked the wounded Zombie losing he took 7 damage going down to 4 health. Recruit 1 passed and also attacked the Zombie killing it. My Arcanist then passed and moved towards my Ranger. 

The Event Deck then spawned a Vulture on the far side of the table. 

8.thumb.jpg.9cb7027f65ab8b4aca380874a76c14d1.jpg

Turn five my Ranger activated alone and moved back towards the main room. Taking a chance he fired at the remaining Zombie and missed. 

The Zombie then double moved into combat. The Vulture also used a double move trying to reach the party. 

My Templar then moved and attacked the Vulture. Losing the fight my Templar took 6 damage going down to 6 health. Recruit 2 attacked the Zombie and also losing took 2 damage going down to 8 health. My Archer then attacked the Zombie hitting for 4 damage bringing it down to 2 health. Recruit 1 also attacked the Zombie killing it.

The Event Deck then brought about an earthquake. All heroes must make a Move Roll (TN 16) or miss their next activation.  

9.thumb.jpg.0054c32e027a63b5a2e6ea6111b6a3b2.jpg

Turn six my Ranger failed the Move Roll and didn't activate.

The Vulture attacked my Templar and lost but took no damage. 

My Knight, Templar, and Arcanist all failed the Move Roll too and did not activate. Recruit 1 passed and started moving towards the locked door. Recruit 2 passed and attacked the Vulture losing he took 7 damage going down to 1 health. My Archer also passed and attacked the Vulture killing it. 

The Event Deck then brought a horrific howl echoing throughout the ruins. Every hero must make a Will Roll (TN10) or take only one action during it's next activation  

10.thumb.jpg.0443aca45a26ac2a4d29446fa5d5819f.jpg

Turn seven my Ranger group activated alongside my Arcanist and Knight. Then to my horror all three failed their Will Roll's. My Ranger and Knight started moving towards the hanging bodies. My Arcanist however reached them first (Marker 4) and found the body of a Lorenthian royal messenger tangled in the chain. Passing a Perception Roll (TN8) he found a sealed message soaked in the messenger's blood.  

Recruit 1 passed the check and moved to the locked door. Try as he might he was unable to pick the lock however. My Templar passed the check and reached one of the hanging bodies (Marker 3). Failing a Survival Roll he found a Zombie. Recruit 2 failed the check and moved into combat with the newly discovered Zombie. My Archer passed the check and made for the final hanging body (Marker 2).

The Event Deck then spawned an Ogre.    

11.thumb.jpg.30f802ec467a5815b80ddba06cddb934.jpg

Turn eight my Ranger group activated with the Arcanist and Knight. My Ranger used a double move to get into combat with the Ogre. My Arcanist double moved through the doorway while my Knight used a double move trying to reach the Zombie.

The Ogre attacked my Ranger hitting for 3 damage taking him down to 15 health. The Zombie attacked Recruit 2 and knocked him out. 

Recruit 1 continued to struggle with the door's lock but couldn't get it open. My Archer reached the last body (Marker 2) but failing a Perception Roll (TN12) only found a body of one of the convent's guards. My Templar attacked the Zombie and hit but did no damage.     

The Event Deck then brought one of the chains to life. Failing a Move Roll (TN20) my Archer was grabbed by the chain and became bound. Each turn my Archer could attempt to escape with a Strength Roll (TN20) with each adjacent figure conferring a +4 to his efforts. 

12.thumb.jpg.16b45839981b4fd0a83a67c3d71f1a48.jpg

Turn nine my Ranger attacked the Ogre and lost taking 7 damage going down to 8 health. 

The Ogre then attacked my Ranger and hit but did no damage. 

My Archer with no surprise failed it's Strength Roll. Recruit 1 failed to pick the lock again. My Knight attacked the Zombie and killed it. Then the game ended with my Templar attacking the Ogre and killing it in one blow thanks to a natural 20. 

All in all not a bad game. The low damage hits I was making at the beginning were really starting to get to me when my luck finally started to change. I honestly didn't expect to take so much damage from this scenario but that's the way it went, oh well. 

After the battle my Arcanist passed a read Runes Roll (TN12) and found that the only legible portion of the note read, "We have buried it in soft earth..." So on the positive side I may have found my first clue as to the location of the decanter.

On the casualty side of things my Hound will make a full recovery but Recruit 2 is badly wounded (-5 health next game). With the way healing works for this particular mission that penalty is applied immediately after the between mission healing meaning there is no way to eliminate the penalty.

As for everyone else my Ranger used a Survival Roll on the Templar and passed bringing him to full health. So at least my Ranger, Templar, and Knight will all start the next game at full health.

My Knight checked Recruit 1 but failed. My Archer checked Recruit 1 and passed (+2 health). Recruit 2 checked the Arcanist and passed (+2 health). 

13.thumb.jpg.102f5f6e470763d9ef75f1690e9ff36f.jpg

This is everyone else's starting health for the next game. 

As for the treasure it turned out to be a health potion so I gave it to my Arcanist to hold. My Ranger also leveled up to level 5. I decided to improve the following skills +2 Leadership (now +4), +2 Swim (now +2), and +1 Survival (now +4). With any luck I'll have a fighting chance the next time I encounter water.  

As for this game's MVP I think I have to take my Knight. One shotting an Ogre turn one, securing a treasure (especially a health potion on this mission), and killing a Zombie on the last turn she truly was my MVP.

• Like 10

The courtyard is about what we expected but that doesn't mean it is not horrifying. Bodies lie everywhere and aside from a few guards they are all nuns. The bodies are torn and hacked and were left where they fell. A fountain sits in the center of the courtyard filled with dark water. As we entered we heard a dry crackle and skeletons rose up from amidst the bodies... 

1.thumb.jpg.9ceabcc708c7901311bfbd636ae1d71a.jpg

I changed up a few of the proxies for this game.

The Skeletons will be actual Skeletons this time.

The two Blair Witch Skeletons along with the Kurgan inspired Skeleton will be filling in for Skeletal Knights. 

The Lizard Wizard will be filling in for a Tortured Soul.

The modern Zombies will be filling in for fantasy Zombies. 

The GW Dwarf will be filling in for a Ghoul Flinger. 

2.thumb.jpg.2748f6dc2c37a9872d877c5a37a8350e.jpg

The Courtyard contains five points of interest. Marker one is a fountain filled with brackish water with a damaged statue. Marker two is a broken cart. Marker three and four are both small shacks. Marker five indicates a hastily scrawled message on the wall. 

3.thumb.jpg.a1f2cf0b020df14477b1c31d4776bd0b.jpg

Turn one my Ranger activated alongside the Knight and Templar. My Ranger moved then attempted to shoot a Skeleton, he hit but did no damage. My Knight and Templar double moved to form a wall with my Ranger. 

The two Skeletal Knights double moved. The first Skeleton moved into combat with my Templar and attacked, losing it was killed. The second Skeleton moved into combat with my Knight and attacked, losing it was also killed. The two remaining Skeletons used double moves to get into combat.

My Archer then shot at a Skeletal Knight but missed. Everyone else used double moves beginning to head towards the points of interest. 

The Event Deck then spawned two Skeletons and a Skeletal Knight.

4.thumb.jpg.eb961b784aaae1cfa8ab7f56e9870948.jpg

Turn two my Ranger group activated again with the Knight and Templar. My Ranger attacked a Skeleton and lost taking 5 damage and going down to 13 health. My Templar attacked a Skeleton and also lost taking 4 damage and going down to 8 health. Last but not least my Knight attacked a Skeleton and killed it. 

The remaining Skeleton attacked my Templar and was killed. The rest of the enemies all double moved but couldn't close the distance into combat. 

My Archer shot a Skeleton and killed it. Recruit 2 moved into combat with a Skeletal Knight. Recruit 1 then moved in and attacked the same Skeletal Knight and managed to kill it. My Arcanist and Hound double moved into combat with a Skeletal Knight.

The Event Deck then filled the enemies with extra strength. All enemies gain +1 Fight next turn. 

5.thumb.jpg.2a22536d39a4a70f1a2612303f3ffeda.jpg

Turn three my Ranger group activated again with the Knight and Templar. My Ranger and Knight moved into combat with the Skeletal Knight. My Ranger attacked the Skeletal Knight and killed it. My Templar opted to move to the fountain where he found a statue of St. Emilia. In one hand the statue held a stone version of the Decanter of Burning Light. Passing a Perception Roll(TN6) he found the statue's other hand lying in the grass along with a small jeweler's hammer. The hammer is so small and dainty that the hand must have been smashed by one of the residents. The hand originally pointed toward the library but now it lies on the ground pointing in the opposite direction, it could be a clue as to the location of the Decanter or perhaps just dumb luck. 

The remaining Skeleton and Skeletal Knight then used double moves to enter into combat with my party. 

My Arcanist attacked the Skeletal Knight and was knocked out. Then my Archer attacked the Skeleton and was also knocked out. Recruit 1 then reached the shack and managed to pick the lock on the door. The shack ended up just containing gardening tools but he did find a sickle that still had a keen edge. 

The Event Deck then spawned three Skeletons, and in the same corner yet again.   

7.thumb.jpg.b632423496afb0951d360375e312f1f2.jpg

Turn four my Ranger used Call to Action to group activate with one additional figure and group activates with the Knight, Templar, and Hound. My Ranger attacks the Skeletal Knight and kills it. My Knight then attacks the Skeleton and hits but causes no damage. 

The Skeleton then attacked my Knight and they both rolled natural 20's. My Knight won however and killed the Skeleton. The other Skeletons all double moved towards the Ranger. 

Recruit 1 and Recruit 2 used double moves trying to reach Marker 5.

The Event Deck then spawned a Ghoul Flinger. Somehow it also spawned in the corner with the wagon. 

8.thumb.jpg.2c5f923abcea97d27eef04d63bc3eb34.jpg

Turn five my Ranger group activated with the Templar and Hound. They all moved into combat with the next group of Skeletons. My Ranger attacked a Skeleton and killed it. My Hound then attacked a Skeleton and was knocked out. 

The Ghoul Flinger then shot my Templar hitting for 7 damage and taking him down to 1 health. A Skeleton attacked my Ranger and hit for 1 damage taking him down to 12 health. The other Skeleton attacked my Templar and knocked him out. 

Recruit 2 then reached Marker 5 and found a line of text scrawled across the wall. It was written in ancient Lorenthian but luckily Recruit 2 could actually read it. It simply said, "It was moved..." My Knight then reached the second shack and after breaking down the door found a large Hound chained to the wall.    

The Event Deck then brought two zombies bursting out from the fountain.

9.thumb.jpg.a2ea21b445991bd7d38f0b6f8ce2791f.jpg

Turn six my Ranger attacked a Skeleton and lost taking 2 damage and going down to 10 health. 

The Ghoul Flinger shot at my Knight but missed. Both Zombies double moved into combat with Recruit 1. The first Skeleton attacked my ranger and hit for 7 damage taking him down to 3 health. The Second Skeleton then attacked my Ranger and knocked him out. 

Recruit 2 and my Knight both fled the table. Recruit 1 with no other options attacked a Zombie and hit but did no damage.   

The Event Deck then spawned a Tortured Soul on the cart. 

10.thumb.jpg.1265a3811dc1427c92df6f345ee1c958.jpg

Turn seven a Zombie attacked Recruit 1 and lost but took no damage. The Second Zombie attacked Recruit 1 hitting for 4 damage and taking him down to 5 health. The Skeletons and Ghoul Flinger all used double moves trying to join the combat. 

Recruit 1 then attacked the Zombie and was knocked out ending the game. 

I certainly wouldn't call this one a win. The dice just would not cooperate and before I knew it most of my party was knocked out. That's not to say I didn't make mistakes, I did, but what really got me this time was bad dice rolls. Skeletons and even Skeletal Knights are not exactly difficult creatures in this system, with only 1 health apiece provided you actually hit them they die easily. I just couldn't hit them when I really needed to. 

On a side note I actually mixed up the two shacks by accident but by the time I realized my mistake it was way to late to rectify it so I kept the game as is. The Hound should have been found by Recruit 1 however while the sickle should have been found by my Knight.

Even though most of my party was knocked out I was very lucky when it came time to roll on the survival table. My Arcanist, Hound, Templar, Ranger, and Recruit 1 will all make a full recovery (as far as the current mission allows). My Archer however died, so I'll be down one party member for the rest of the mission. Not great but it could have been a lot worse. 

After healing this is my party's starting health going into the next game. 

11.thumb.jpg.5036cda456637388589dc7a450af5566.jpg

Naming an MVP for this round was not easy but I chose my Templar. Killing two Skeletons and passing a Perception Roll with an 18 which gave us the biggest clue to date as to the whereabouts of the decanter he earned the title of MVP. 

• Like 7
On 4/21/2021 at 12:01 AM, Great Khan Artist said:

Huzzah! It's nice to see the terrain and miniatures collection growing as you play.

Agreed, playing while working on my Big Terrain project really helped keep me motivated. With so many pieces being rinse and repeat painting seeing the new pieces appear on my gaming table helped combat project fatigue. 

• Like 1

Just a quick update tonight. I did play this week's scenario today so the battle report should be up tomorrow. 

As I've been late with playing and posting the reports lately I've  also decided to change my play schedule. Going forward I'll play any evening of the weekend that's convenient and post the battle report the next day. Not a drastic change I admit but that leeway will make keeping to the schedule easier. 

• Like 3

Pushing through the broken door the gloom of the tower is almost as overpowering as the scents within.  Underneath the more identifiable scents there is a sweet sickly scent that is completely foreign. Our eyes can just make out the numerous cupboards, drying racks, and huge apothecary table in the center of the room. Straining our vision to the limit we can see a monstrous plant in the far corner of the room...  

1.thumb.jpg.cab44d85e2f08f0dac1200af58956ea0.jpg

This scenario will even have new proxies. 

The Large Plant that is typically scatter terrain will be filling in for a Darkroot Plant.

The Small Pine Trees will be filling in for Darkroot Vines.

The GW Dwarves will again be filling in for Giant Flies. 

2.thumb.jpg.b4ab6381cca15c0d94e4a67f1fc40df6.jpg

This scenario has five points of interest. In the center is a large apothecary's table, and along two of the walls are four cupboards (Jersey barriers will be proxying these). The Tower itself is particularly gloomy inside and LOS is only 12". Also before the scenario even began a Darkroot Vine grew up right in front of my Ranger.  

3.thumb.jpg.1e66078e4b5e33f41d04673e8987bdde.jpg

Turn one my Ranger group activated alongside the Knight and Templar. My Knight and Templar moved to surround the Darkroot Vine that had popped up in front of my Ranger. My Ranger attacked the Darkroot Vine and killed it.

The Darkroot Vines all double moved toward the center of the table unable to see the heroes through the gloom.

My Companions all used double moves making their way to the first cupboard (Marker 4). 

The Event Deck then spawned a Darkroot Vine at Marker 2 and 4.   

4.thumb.jpg.1f97f4b0a09ae5f488a20c62b75cb2cc.jpg

Turn two my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar again. They all double moved toward the center of the table hoping to tie up most of the Darkroot Vines in combat. 

The Darkroot Vines all used double moves towards the party. One even makes it into combat with my Ranger but cannot attack. 

My Hound then moved into combat with a Darkroot Vine and attacked. He hit but did no damage. Recruit 1 also moved into combat and attacked. Unfortunately he hit and did no damage as well. Recruit 2 uses a double move to get into combat with the Darkroot Vine. Finally my Arcanist used a double move but cannot reach the fight. 

Then Event Deck then brings about a Will Roll (TN12) on my Arcanist. Passing he experiences a vision of the Decanter of Burning Light and became filled with a renewed sense of strength and purpose. This vision also heals him back to full health.  

5.thumb.jpg.70de7ca2b4c722085fe15ab0ba24c407.jpg

Turn three my Ranger again group activates with the Knight and Templar. My Ranger attacked a Darkroot Vine and lost taking 6 damage and going down to 10 health. My Knight attacked a Darkroot Vine and killed it. Then my Templar attacked another Darkroot Vine killing it as well. 

A Darkroot Vine then attacked my Knight and hit for 5 damage taking her down to 8 health. The other Darkroot Vine then attacked my Templar and was killed. The final Darkroot Vine in combat attacked Recruit 2 and was also killed. The only Darkroot Vine not in combat then used a double move towards the center of the table.    

Recruit 1, Recruit 2, my Hound, and Arcanist all double move towards the first two cupboards (Marker 4 and 5). Recruit 1 even reached the first cupboard (Marker 4).

The Event Deck then spawned another Darkroot Vine directly in front of the apothecary table (Marker 3).  

6.thumb.jpg.5a06e4ecd59cdb0fa87c1214f099b9fc.jpg

Turn four my Ranger yet again group activated with the Knight and Templar. My Templar attacked a Darkroot Vine and hit for 5 damage taking it down to 1 health. My Knight then attacked the injured Darkroot Vine and killed it. Finally out of combat my Ranger cast Heal on himself and went up to 15 health. 

A Darkroot Vine then moved into combat with my Ranger and attacked. Hitting my Ranger took 1 damage and went down to 14 health. The Second Darkroot Vine used a double move to get into combat with my Templar. 

Recruit 1 tried a Pick Lock (TN10) on the first cupboard but failed. The others used double moves to approach the second cupboard (Marker 5). 

The Event Deck then spawned a Darkroot Vine right in front of my Knight. Passing a Move Roll (TN14) it instead spawned 3" back from my Knight. 

7.thumb.jpg.01ec6d0a31a44c3edb8d4d3fcbf099b4.jpg

Turn five my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar. My Ranger attacked a Darkroot Vine and killed it. My Templar attacked a Darkroot Vine and hit for 2 damage taking it down to 4 health. My Knight then attacked a Darkroot Vine and lost taking 3 damage and going down to 5 health. 

The Darkroot Vine attacked my Knight and was killed. The damaged Darkroot Vine then attacked my Templar and hit for 6 damage taking him down to 2 health.

Recruit 1 again tried to pick the cupboard's lock and failed. Recruit 2 found an unlocked cupboard and upon opening it a collection of human bones spilled out. Passing a Perception Roll (TN12) he found faint writing on one of the larger bones that read "Emilia", believing these to be the bones of the Saint he gathered them up in his pack. The Arcanist and Hound both moved toward the remaining two cupboards (Marker 1 and 2). 

The Event Deck then tried to spawn a Darkroot Vine directly in front of my Arcanist. Passing a Move Roll (TN14) it instead popped up 3" away.    

8.thumb.jpg.1a23a576833944fcc9bd4b968afa0621.jpg

Turn six my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar. My Ranger then attacked the Darkroot Vine and killed it. 

A Darkroot Vine moved into combat with my Hound and attacked. With a natural 20 my Hound ended up killing the Darkroot Vine instead. 

Recruit 1 finally picked the cupboard's lock and found a herb pouch. Everyone else used double moved towards the last two cupboards (Marker 1 and 2).  

The Event Deck then spawned two Giant Flies at the entrance. 

9.thumb.jpg.dc6fca2805e7885f7bfcf5da4824d739.jpg

Turn seven my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar. My Ranger reached the apothecary table (Marker 3) and passing a Perception Roll (TN12) he found a treasure token. My Knight and Templar moved to the other side of the apothecary's table. 

The Giant Flies both double moved toward the table's center. 

Recruit 2 reached the third cupboard (Marker 2) and tried to pick the lock. Successfully picking the lock he found a cupboard filled with jars containing dried herbs. Passing a Survival Roll with a 16 he found one dose of haikwheat, one dose of ironbark powder, and one dose of nightnock. My Arcanist reached the final cupboard and found it unlocked. As soon as he opened it however a cloud of poison wafted out. Passing a Health Roll (TN18) he was quick enough to avoid the poison though.

The Event Deck then spawned a Will sapping darkness (All heroes -3 Will for the rest of the scenario). 

10.thumb.jpg.c1a6d49403d53e2cd5e69bfe674964a1.jpg

Turn eight my Ranger group activated with the Templar. The Templar grabbed the treasure and moved. My Ranger moved and then tried to shoot one of the Giant Flies but missed. 

Both Giant Flies used double moves to get into combat with my Ranger. 

My Knight moved into combat with the Giant Flies and attacked. Losing she took 1 damage going down to 4 health. The rest of the party started moving toward the combat. 

The Event Deck then brought about a strange tingling and the monsters seemed to gain a new strength. Enemies gain +2 Fight next turn.

11.thumb.jpg.99b25fccca4150f3be5b7c35500d533d.jpg

Turn nine my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Recruit 1. My Ranger attacked a Giant Fly and lost taking 7 damage and going down to 7 health. My Knight then attacked a Giant Fly and killed it. Not to be outdone Recruit 1 attacked the last Giant Fly and killed it too ending the scenario.

The treasure token turned out to be nothing but gold and jewels (+10XP). Everything else had to be distributed amongst the party though. I gave the herb pouch and dose of haikwheat (gain 2 temporary health for -1 Will) to my Arcanist. The dose of ironbark powder (+1 Amour, -2 Will) went to my Templar. The does of nightnock (cures disease) went to Recruit 1.  

As for the bones of St. Emilia I gave those to my Ranger. This is quite an interesting item as it has absolutely no value unless you manage to get it out of the Shadow Deep. So whoever carries the bones must survive the entire mission to receive either 20 XP or 2 Progression Points. 

My first companion also recached their second Progression Bonus. My Knight received +1 Fight taking her up to +5 Fight. I have a feeling that is going to come in handy.

After healing and the Survival Rolls I present my party's starting health next game.  

12.thumb.jpg.9ca58903f6355c8c9f950b0f4345f438.jpg

Naming an MVP for this round was not easy. Should I choose the most combat efficient, someone who found good loot, or even someone who passed checks they had no business passing? In the end I chose Recruit 2. Killing a Darkroot Vine, finding the bones of St. Emilia, and picking a lock only to pass a Survival Roll (he had no business passing) to find three herbs I think he's earned the title of MVP.

Three games in and I still have absolutely no idea where the decanter is. I know it was moved and that it may have been buried somewhere but aside from that I just don't know. The statue's hand in the courtyard really threw me for a loop but after searching the Herb Store I guess the next logical place would be the Ruined Chapel or the Library. So the next scenario will be the Ruined Chapel.

• Like 5

I know I'm a day late but the weekend was truly an odd one and after multiple plans fell through I ended up attacking a few different maintenance projects instead. The weather also spurred me into action as quite a few had been pushed back over and over again due to rain. So by the end of the each day playing just wasn't going to happen. This "weekend's" game wasn't even played until Monday for those reasons, but it was played. 

The tower that contains the chapel used to be four stories tall. Now only the ground floor and a single ledge of the second story remain. It's almost as if some giant fist punched straight through the tower. The remains of the ground floor are strewn with the rubble of broken statues, pews, prayer books, candles, and pieces of the tower itself. Its clear we are not alone in here...

1.thumb.jpg.ce8613f8fdd0553b072d5ed7f3027758.jpg

Proxies for this scenario are. 

The two Blair Witch Skeletons will be filling in for Shadow Knights. 

The Bat will be filling in for a Wolf. All the funnier as I was working on an actual wolf for this scenario but didn't finish it in time. 

The Lizard Wizard will be filling in for a Ghoul Snake.

The two Ghouls actually are Ghouls. One of the first enemies I've been able to use "properly" from my Ghost Archipelago project. 

The two Kobold Archer/Crossbow will be filling in for Ghoul Flingers.

The regular melee Kobolds will be filling in for Ghoul Fiends.

The Kobold with skull shield will be filling in for a Ghoul Rotter.

2.thumb.jpg.17fc17c821221ea9e15db3c4549c536d.jpg

The scenario is simple enough with four points of interest that may be clues as to the missing decanter's location. Marker 1 indicates a small room, Marker 2 is a pile of rubble, Marker 3 is a ledge (all that remains of the tower's second story, and Marker 4 is a stained glass window. 

3.thumb.jpg.d4807ac5f21768a0104eed03b564addc.jpg

Turn one my Ranger activated with the Knight and Templar. The Knight and Templar double moved forming a wall while my Ranger moved in between them and then cast Heal on himself bringing him up to 16 health. 

The creatures all double moved towards the party. The two Ghouls even made it into combat with my Knight and Templar.

The rest of my party all used double moves. Recruit 1 and Recruit 2 headed towards the ledge (Marker 3). My Arcanist and Hound moved into the two combats with the Ghouls. 

The Event Deck then spawned a Ghoul Snake from underneath the rubble pile. 

4.thumb.jpg.1506187708fce92519ad66c9142f6b63.jpg

Turn two my Ranger again group activated with the Knight and Templar. My Ranger attacked a Ghoul and lost, taking 8 damage going down to 8 health. My Templar attacked the other Ghoul and killed it. My Knight following suite attacked the remaining Ghoul and killed it as well.

The first Ghoul Fiend moved into combat with my Hound and attacked. Losing the fight the Ghoul Fiend took 4 damage going down to 10 health. The other Ghoul Fiend moved and attacked my Ranger. The Ghoul Fiend lost and took 6 damage going down to 8 health. The remaining enemies all double moved towards the large melee. 

My Arcanist then attacked the Ghoul Fiend and lost taking 8 damage going down to 3 health. My Hound faired even worse. It attacked the other Ghoul Fiend and was knocked out. Recruit 1 and Recruit 2 used double moves trying to reach Marker 3.

The Event Deck then caused the tower to collapse even more. Three random heroes took a +0 shooting attack from the falling stones. This ended up knocking out my Arcanist, missing my Knight, and hitting my Templar for 5 damage taking him down to 3 health.  

5.thumb.jpg.7f0462e3e28e204bf741273953ee2256.jpg

Turn three my Ranger activated with the Knight and Templar. My Knight moved into combat with a Ghoul Fiend while my Templar shifted behind my Ranger. My Knight then attacked the Ghoul Fiend and killed it. 

The Ghoul Snake moved into combat with my Knight and attacked. Hitting my Knight took 1 damage going down to 6 health. The last Ghoul Fiend attacked my Ranger and would have knocked him out but I chose to use the Ranger's blocking Armor instead. This negated all the damage but also removed the only charge that the armor had. A Ghoul Flinger then shot at my Arcanist and missed. The second Ghoul Flinger also shot at my Arcanist and hit but did no damage. 

Recruit 1 then reached Marker 1 and found a treasure. My Arcanist attacked the Ghoul Fiend and hit for 7 damage taking it down to 3 health. Recruit 2 then started moving towards the fight. 

The Event Deck then spawned a Wolf.    

6.thumb.jpg.955430486e7e30b40734be52fc81c2a4.jpg

Turn four my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar. My Knight attacked the Ghoul Snake and hit for 6 damage taking it down to 10 health. My Templar attempted to finish the job but lost and was knocked out. My Ranger then attacked and killed the Ghoul Fiend. 

The Ghoul Snake attacked my Knight and was killed for its trouble. A Ghoul Flinger then shot my Knight and hit but did no damage. The last Ghoul Flinger also shot my Knight and hit for 2 damage taking her down to 4 health.

My Arcanist attacked the Wolf and tied for no damage. Recruit 2 moved towards the Ghoul Flinger hoping to tie them up in melee. Recruit 1 with treasure in tow started making his way towards the fight. 

The Event Deck then spawned a Ghoul Rotter right beside my Knight. 

7.thumb.jpg.b9590d5ba3ce97b6e023b5afd96bcc84.jpg

Turn five my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Arcanist. My Knight attacked the Ghoul Rotter and killed it in a single blow. My Arcanist attacked the Wolf and was knocked out. 

The first Ghoul Flinger shot at Recruit 2 and hit but did no damage. The second Ghoul Flinger also shot at Recruit 2 and missed entirely. 

Recruit 2 made it into combat with one of the Ghoul Flingers and attacked. Losing he was knocked out. Recruit 1 finally made it into the thick of the fighting and started moving towards the Ghoul Flingers. 

The Event Deck then spawned a Shadow Knight.

8.thumb.jpg.41e9e6f02c9c889b0a832de54db9b5b0.jpg

Turn six my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Recruit 1. My Knight attacked the Wolf and lost taking 3 damage going down to just 1 health. My ranger then attacked the Wolf and also lost but took no damage. Recruit 1 attacked the Ghoul Flinger and hit but did no damage. 

The Ghoul Flinger attacked Recruit 1, losing to a natural 20 it was killed. The other Ghoul Flinger then shot at Recruit 1 and missed. The Wolf attacked my Knight and lost but took no damage. 

The Event Deck then spawned two Ghouls from a hole beneath the second floor ledge. 

9.thumb.jpg.4ff738ed300b40fb04fbac6ebefcae22.jpg

Turn seven my Ranger group activated with the Knight. My Knight attacked the Wolf and killed it with a natural 20.

The Shadow Knight then moved into combat with Recruit 1 and he saw that it was nothing more than a illusion that immediately disappeared. The Ghoul Flinger shot at Recruit 1 and hit but did no damage. The two Ghouls double moved towards Recruit 1. 

Recruit 1 realizing he was overextended used a double move to retreat towards his companions. 

The Event Deck then spawned a Ghoul Flinger on the ledge. 

Turn eight doesn't have a picture because not a lot happened. My Ranger group activated with the Knight and Recruit 1. All three then double moved off the table through the opening they initially used ending the scenario.

So there's one more game finished and I still have no idea where to look for the Decanter. It'll be pretty anticlimactic if I just have to make a guess as to its location because knowing my luck I'll be wrong. I also doubt the higher ups will be happy if we return with the Saint's bones instead of the useful artifact we were actually sent for.   

That's not to say nothing came from this encounter however. My Ranger received 24 XP and two of my companions leveled up. The Arcanist and Recruit 2 now have +1 Fight bringing them up to +3 Fight. Then the treasure turned out to be a magical item, Gloves of Climbing(5) (basically +5 to a Climb Roll if you choose to use the gloves). Not too bad I guess.  

As for casualties we did pretty well too. My Hound, Templar, and Recruit 2 will all make full recoveries. My Arcanist however took a close call and lost all his nonstandard equipment (Herb Pouch, Potion of Healing (I had planned to use that before the last scenario), and a Dose of Haikwheat). I guess my Arcanist just isn't meant to carry items as this is at least the second time this has happened.

*Thinking on it as I proofread everything this might have actually happened three times now.

10.thumb.jpg.0a641d3ea7e26a6f3d1ace09a79d0f15.jpg

After all the health checks this will be the party's starting health for the next game. With no new clues as to where to look our next stop will be the Library.  

As for naming a MVP I think I have to go with my Knight. Killing a Ghoul, a Ghoul Fiend, a Ghoul Snake, a Ghoul Rotter, and a Wolf she almost killed one of every enemy and for that reason she is this game's MVP. 

• Like 5

Opening the door of the library we found that nearly the entire floor has collapsed. The basement below is completely flooded making two small "islands" and a walkway all that remain of the first floor. The "island" in the far corner even has a surviving bookshelf on it. Loose pages float on the water which starts to ripple with movement...  

1.thumb.jpg.83690c52d7090ff055f97a5aa1869bc8.jpg

Proxies for this scenario are as follows.

The Bats will actually be bats, Blood Bats in this case. 

The GW Dwarves will be filling in for Giant Water Snakes.

The Skeletons will be actual Skeletons.

The Vulture will be filling in for a Wolf (I still haven't finished the wolf model I've been working on). 

This particular scenario is interesting in that it requires two different game boards representing the first and second floor of the library. It's also noteworthy in that the Heroes can deploy a whole 12" from the entry point. This allows you to really cover some ground in your deployment and after playing the scenario I can see why. That "free" foot is vital to reaching the many points of interest on the second floor. 

Before diving in I'd also like to point out that I missed quite a few turn shots in this scenario. The extra board combined with a ton of different checks throughout the game was apparently too much for me and I just forgot to take a lot of the pictures. I also somehow completely forgot to draw an event card toward the end and had to double up two events on one turn (with very mixed results). So with all of that this report will be a bit of a mess and if that's a problem I wouldn't blame you if you just skip to the end to find out what happened. That might actually be the best way to go, but I leave it up to you. 

2.thumb.jpg.e345990a127e10b4b5966d6396abf50e.jpg

As mentioned above the scenario takes place on two levels of the library. The lower level is almost completely flooded leaving only a couple of "islands" and a small walkway along the wall. On the far "island" is a lone bookcase that survived the flood. Again I will be using Jersey barriers as proxies for bookshelves.  

3.thumb.jpg.f347bef8f306a7ea030ec52b3f6e4e67.jpg

The second floor is mostly undisturbed and has multiple points of interest. There are four intact bookcases (though only two have anything of interest), the center of the room has a large writing desk, and there are two small rooms along the back wall.  

Using that "free" foot of deployment allowed my more capable swimmers to reach the small island in the flooded lower floor. My Ranger and his usual Group Activation pals also took advantage of the deployment to setup further down the walkway. 

4.thumb.jpg.fe8b56fba26ee73c9409a83137e3f9f3.jpg5.thumb.jpg.7c68738e4141f78bbd7cb1b5be959860.jpg

Turn one my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar. My Knight and Templar used double moves while my Ranger took a single move before shooting an arrow at a Giant Water Snake. Unfortunately my Ranger's shot missed completely.  

The first Giant Water Snake moved into combat with Recruit 2 and attacked. Recruit 2 however won the fight and even managed to kill the Giant Water Snake. The other Giant Water Snake moved into combat with my Arcanist with the same results. The game barely began and I already used all my luck on two one hit kills. The Blood Bats on the second floor both took random moves. 

My lucky streak continued as my Arcanist, Hound, Recruit 2, and Recruit 1 all passed their Swim Checks and took double moves. 

The Event Deck then spawned two more Blood Bats on the second floor. Not having enough bats I ended up using a modern zombie as a surprise proxy.

6.thumb.jpg.b0d9870fbde7919db5b4881605d43a86.jpg

7.thumb.jpg.f95a6bf863632d25f27a5f093ba60c34.jpg

Turn two my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar. They all double moved toward the stairs.

The Blood Bats on the second floor all took random moves again.

The Swim Checks continued to go my way for the most part. My Arcanist, Hound, and Recruit 2 all passed their Swim Checks with Recruit 2 even getting a natural 20. All three took double moves with the Arcanist and Hound almost reaching the far "island" while Recruit 2 made it to the walkway. Recruit 1 however failed his Swim Check and started drowning taking 2 damage bringing him down to 9 health.

The Event Deck then tried to spawn a Giant Water Snake right on Recruit 1. Passing a Perception Roll (TN12) however the creature spawned 3" away instead.  

8.thumb.jpg.fb5ef379f67fbb85e2e32db70386a0b9.jpg9.thumb.jpg.96656f2c04b7d887b607e58b01d7c303.jpg

Turn three my Ranger group activated again with the Knight and Templar. Using a single move all three made it onto the second floor and surrounded a Blood Bat. My Knight was the first to attack the Blood Bat and killed it. 

The newly spawned Giant Water Snake attacked Recruit 1 and lost taking 6 damage going down to 4 health. The remaining Blood Bats all double moved towards my party.

My Arcanist passed his Swim Check and made it to the bookcase (Marker 1). Passing a Navigation Roll (TN8) my Arcanist found a rare book on Navigation (+2 to Navigation Rolls) that we could either keep or turn into our superiors for 10 XP. We're definitely keeping it by the way. My Hound failing it's Swim Check started drowning taking 1 damage and going down to 3 health. Recruit 1 passed his Swim Check and attacked the Giant Water Snake killing it before moving. Recruit 2 safely out of the water double moved towards the stairs. 

The Event Deck then caused the stairwell to collapse. Now anyone wanting to reach the second floor must pass a Climb Roll (TN10).

10.thumb.jpg.e69c5094e1e37f20ee9ac5b85446bd03.jpg11.thumb.jpg.07773a9fe686cabdd1ae34cad58cf2ef.jpg

Turn four my Ranger again group activated with the Knight and Templar. They all moved into combat with the Blood Bats. My Knight attacked a Blood Bat and lost but took no damage. My Ranger also attacked a Blood Bat and lost but took no damage. My Templar however attacked a Blood Bat and killed it. 

The two reaming Blood Bats both attacked my Knight and even hit but did no damage. 

My Arcanist passed the Swim Check again and slowly started moving towards the walkway. My Hound failed his Swim Check and was knocked out. Recruit 1 passed the Swim Check and made it onto the walkway. Finally Recruit 2 attempted to Climb the broken stairway and failed. 

The Event Deck then filled Recruit 2 with an inner strength allowing him to activate in the Ranger phase next turn with three actions. 

12.thumb.jpg.22eea173130cb89ddb01b840d6e02dcf.jpg13.thumb.jpg.49bbad74b053d3a6195b47e40e36cbd3.jpg

Turn five my Ranger group activated with the Knight, Templar, and Recruit 2. My Templar moved into combat with the remaining Blood Bats, Recruit 2 attempted the Climb Roll and failed but passed on his second attempt. He then moved into combat with the Blood Bats as well. My Knight then attacked a Blood Bat and killed it. My Ranger tried to follow suite but lost taking no damage. My Templar attacked the last Blood Bat and killed it. 

My Arcanist passed the Swim Check again and double moved still trying to reach the walkway. Recruit 1 double moved towards the stairs.

The Event Deck then spawned a huge cloud of ash. For the next two turns all heroes must make a Will Roll (TN12) before activating or receive only one action and Line of Sight is reduced to 8".

Just as things are getting good this is the point where I forgot to take pictures, just too much going on I guess. To make it a little easier to visualize what happened however I'll now be using the original setup picture of the second floor with each turn. 

Turn six my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar. My Ranger and Templar passed the Will Roll and took double moves toward a bookcase (Marker 3). My Knight however failed the Will Roll and only took a single move towards a bookcase (Marker 3).

My Arcanist passing both the Will Roll and Swim Check double moved towards the walkway. Recruit 1 failed the Will Roll but did pass the Climb Roll and made it to the second floor. Recruit 2 passed the Will Roll with his second natural 20 and took a double move towards the writing desk (Marker 2). 

This was also the turn that I completely forgot to draw an Event Card. This certainly impacted the game but I had already completely finished the next turn before noticing so doubling up the Events seemed like the best way to handle it. So next turn will have two Event Cards.

Turn seven my Ranger group activated with the Templar. My Ranger passed the Will Roll and moved to the bookcase (Marker 3). Passing a Lore Roll (TN12) he found a thin dark book he recognized as a rare book of lore about the Shadow Deep. If turned into the higher ups after the mission it is worth 15 XP or 1 Progression Point. My Templar failed the Will Roll and moved towards the bookcase (Marker 4). 

My Knight passed the Will Roll and double moved towards the bookcase (Marker 4). Recruit 2 failed the Will Roll and moved to the writing desk (Marker 2). Once there he found a half finished scroll written in an ancient language. Passing a Read Runes Roll (TN8) with and impressive 13 he was able to make out that they removed the Decanter from "this place" and buried it "in a corner". This also netted us 15 XP. Recruit 1 passed the Will Roll and double moved toward one of the doors (Marker 5). My Arcanist passed the Will Roll and the Swim Check taking a double move towards the walkway.

The first card from the Event Deck spawned two Skeletons beside the stairwell on the second floor. The second card then spawned a trap for my Ranger. Luckily my Ranger noticed a glowing rune and passed a Read Runes Roll (TN10) to avoid the trap gaining 4 XP in the process. 

Turn eight my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar. My Knight and Templar double moved towards the bookcase (Marker 4). My Ranger reached the bookcase (Marker 4) and after touching a book heard a strange whirring noise. Passing a Traps Roll (TN12) he was able to stop the trap from going off and gained 5 XP. Unfortunately he then failed a Read Runes Roll (TN10) and found nothing else.

The two Skeletons then double moved towards Recruit 1. 

Recruit 1 attacked a Skeleton and killed it. Recruit 2 used a double move to reach one of the doors (Marker 5). My Arcanist passed the Swim Check again and finally made it to the walkway but failed the Climb Roll to reach the second floor. 

The Event Deck then spawned a Wolf. Not exactly sure where to spawn the creature as it randomly spawns in the center of a table edge I rolled for both tables. This made it all the funnier when it spawned on the first floor on the edge with the entrance.      

14.thumb.jpg.9af0c00b75e7de0f5ef78d690e324bdb.jpg15.thumb.jpg.0f34ecc57bda1b05aa5066896ce7e19e.jpg

Turn nine my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Templar. They all double moved towards a door (Marker 6). 

The Wolf double moved along the walkway. The last Skeleton attacked Recruit 1 and hit for 7 damage bringing him down to 2 health. 

Recruit 1 attacked the Skeleton and was knocked out. Recruit 2 tried a Pick Lock Roll (TN6) on the door (Marker 5) and succeeded. Inside he found a nearly empty treasure room containing a treasure token and three Blood Bats. There was absolutely no way to secure the treasure but we did receive 5 XP for picking the lock. Last but not least the Arcanist passed the Climb Roll and made it to the second floor.    

16.thumb.jpg.d56c4997b95062b5a8ee3532729b3049.jpg

On the casualty side of things both my Hound and Recruit 1 will make a full recovery. After the missions unique recovery system the Survival Checks went well too. Recruit 2 managed to pass a Check for my Ranger bringing him up to full health. Recruit 1 passed a Check for my Templar and brought him up to 11 health. Last but not least my unused Heal spell brought Recruit 1 back to full health.

The 43 XP gained was also enough for my Ranger to reach level 6. Taking +1 Fight he's now +5 Fight just like my Knight. Hopefully he'll do just as well with this newfound power. 

As for the loot both of the books will be going to my Arcanist. I know he'll put that +2 book of Navigation to good use and hopefully we'll be able to turn in the book of lore after the mission.

Again I haven't really gained any new clues as to the Decanter's whereabouts. Rather than guess I've decided to continue my search of the convent. The next place to search will be the Hospital Ward itself.    

As for naming an MVP I think I have to pick Recruit 2. Killing a Giant Water Snake turn one, passing a Read Runes Roll (he had no business passing) netting 15 XP, and picking a lock for another 5 XP it may not have been the most glamourous showing but he truly was my MVP.   

• Like 7

At one time this hospital was famous throughout Lorenthia and Alladore for its ministrations of the sick and wounded. That's all in the past though, now it is filled with gigantic cobwebs stretching from one side to the other. The beds are far from empty however as a large cocoon rests on each one. We already know what awaits us inside.  

1.thumb.jpg.801bd09573f93b7f3d131bf319c9b4d4.jpg

Looks like there is only one set of proxy enemies in this game.

The Spiders are not proxies this time as they'll be actual Giant Spiders.

The White Knights will be filling in for Gnoll Fighters.

2.thumb.jpg.00938adf5a22077b774e34a169a56b47.jpg

The room's setup is pretty simple for this one. There are eight points of interest, two (Marker 1 & Marker 2) represent closets while the rest represent giant web cocoons sitting on the beds. As I don't have any beds Jersey barriers are yet again my go to proxies. In the two corners beside the entrances are staircases leading to the second floor. Most importantly for this scenario however is that the entire room is covered in sticky webs (counting as rough ground) that halves movement for everyone except the Giant Spiders. 

3.thumb.jpg.67db3f7ed79e6b2bb54ead47d6704634.jpg

Turn one my Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. Both my Knight and Templar double moved while my Ranger used a single move and then shot a Giant Spider. To my surprise the shot hit and killed the Giant Spider outright.

The remaining Giant Spider double moved towards the party in the doorway.

The rest of my party double moved towards two beds beside the entrance.

The Event Deck then spawned two Gnoll Fighters beside a bed (Marker 4).

4.thumb.jpg.13e67a75556eb80b82efaa7a248a1dd8.jpg

Turn two my Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. Again my Templar and Knight double moved while my Ranger used a single move and shot at the Giant Spider. The results weren't so good however as this time my shot missed completely.

The Gnoll Fighters and the Giant Spider all double moved.

Recruit 1, Recruit 2, the Hound, and Arcanist all double moved towards the two beds. 

The Event Deck then destroyed a small section of web in the ceiling and thousands of tiny spiders attacked my party. As you can see this was a pretty devastating attack. My Ranger went down to 16 health, my Templar went down to 4 health, Recruit 1 went down to 10 health, and my Hound was knocked out. They were also poisoned and now only have one action each turn.

After looking over the tiny spiders attack I'm still not sure if I did this right. As stated "This attack does -2 damage but is poisonous" leads me to believe that perhaps the attack should only have done two damage. At the same time however I could also read it as the attack is rolled like normal with an additional two damage. Erring on the side of caution I ran it as the latter which is why this attack was so devastating. 

6.thumb.jpg.96b3575998736c44b4bd9816ba7d08b2.jpg

Turn three my Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. My Knight, being the only one not poisoned, used a double move while my Ranger and Templar used single moves. 

The Giant Spider made it into combat and attacked Recruit. Losing it took 3 damage going down to 1 health. The Gnoll Fighters double moved towards my Ranger's group. 

5.thumb.jpg.3a1343fb803690d2df1b83b125c41eed.jpg

Recruit 2 attacked the Giant Spider and they both rolled natural 20's. Unfortunately in the heat of the moment I ran this as a tie forgetting Recruit 2's +3 Fight. So instead of simply killing the Giant Spider I mistakenly knocked out Recruit 2 as well. I didn't actually discover this mistake until I began writing this report so I've decided to keep all the results from this oversight. As for the rest of the party my Arcanist double moved and Recruit 1 inspected the first cocoon. Passing a Strength Roll (TN8) he found that the cocoon itself was empty but underneath the bed was a large wooden box. Opening the box he found a bow and a quiver full of arrows, passing an Armory Roll (TN8) he noticed that two arrows are magical (+2 damage when they hit).  

The Event Deck then brought forth a cloud of stinging and biting insects forcing my whole party to take a Health Roll (TN14) or suffer disease. I didn't pass a single roll so everyone became diseased.

7.thumb.jpg.afb81b1ee5b3ef3112f52883887e5cb4.jpg

Turn four my Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. My Ranger and Templar single moved into a wall formation. My Knight moved to the door (Marker 2) and tried to open it, but failed the Strength Roll (TN15).

The two Gnoll Fighters double moved but still couldn't make it into combat. 

My Arcanist made it to the second bed, passing a Strength Roll (TN8) he forced open the cocoon. Finding more tiny spiders my Arcanist took 3 damage going down to 5 health. Recruit 1 took a single move towards the Ranger.

The Event Deck then spawned two Giant Spiders in front of (Marker 4 & Marker 6).

8.thumb.jpg.962b10f06ef764b6afef16c427602f91.jpg

Turn five my Ranger again activated with the Templar and Knight. My Ranger moved into combat with a Gnoll Fighter while my Templar retreated. My Knight again tried to force the door and succeeded. Inside the closet was mostly filed with bed linens and towels. Passing a Perception Roll (TN8) however she found a decanter hidden underneath some towels. Unfortunately this was not the fabled Decanter of Burning Light but a simple porcelain one containing a sweet smelling herb. We did gain 10 XP for its discovery though.

The first Gnoll Fighter attacked my Ranger and was killed. The second Gnoll Fighter however attacked my Ranger and hit dealing 5 damage and taking him down to 11 health. A Giant Spider then attacked my Ranger and hit but did no damage. The Remaining Giant Spider double moved towards the melee. 

My Arcanist and Recruit 1 slowly made their way towards the Ranger. 

The Event Deck then spawned a Giant Spider in front of (Marker 3). 

9.thumb.jpg.e01003a8194621771e6c43a023bebcf8.jpg

Turn six my Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. My Templar and Knight moved beside my Ranger and formed a wall. My Knight then attacked the Giant Spider and killed it. My Ranger attacked the Gnoll Fighter hoping for the same results, he hit but did no damage. 

The Gnoll Fighter attacked my Templar and was killed. The Giant Spider then attacked my Templar and knocked him out. The last Giant Spider double moved towards my Arcanist and Recruit 1.  

With no hope of regrouping with the Ranger before the Giant Spider reached them my Arcanist and Recruit 1 formed their own wall formation.

The Event Deck then forced my party to make a Strength Roll (TN12) or become tangled in the webs and lose their next activation. My Ranger and Knight passed the check but my Arcanist and Recruit 1 failed (looks like they formed their defensive position just in time).

10.thumb.jpg.48d3281768ae0e7d4143af67cfc8b22c.jpg

Turn seven my Ranger group activated with the Knight. My Knight attacked the Giant Spider and killed it. 

The last Giant Spider attacked my Arcanist and was killed. 

Having lost their activations my Arcanist and Recruit 1 did nothing.

The Event Deck then spawned two Giant Spiders in front of the beds by the entrance.

11.thumb.jpg.3647f5c9930cfdb9f434b1f07c43631c.jpg

Turn eight my Ranger group activated with the Knight and they both moved towards their companions.

The first Giant Spider attacked my Arcanist and lost taking 2 damage going down to 2 health. The second Giant Spider also attacked my Arcanist and was killed. 

Recruit 1 moved beside my Arcanist to reform their defensive wall. My Arcanist then attacked the remaining Giant Spider and was knocked out. 

The Event Deck then forced my party to make a Strength Roll (TN12) or become tangled in the webs and lose their next activation yet again. This time my Knight and Recruit 1 passed while my Ranger failed.

12.thumb.jpg.6a8075111b866277b25f1ec699c7b608.jpg

Turn nine started with the creature phase. The Giant Spider attacked Recruit 1 and they tied. Recruit 1 took 3 damage going down to 5 health while the Giant Spider was killed. With my party unable to reach any more points of interest in their limited movement I ended the game there without running their last turn.  

The Survival Rolls this time were a bit all over the place. My Hound was killed, Recruit 2 took a permanent injury (Smashed Leg -1 Move), my Templar made a full recovery, and my Arcanist had a close call (survives but loses all nonstandard equipment (Book of Navigation +2 Navigation, Rare Book of Lore on the Shadow Deep +15 XP if turned in after the mission)). The loss of my Hound certainly weakens the party but as it is only the third fatality in the campaign I'd say we're doing alright.

Another companion also leveled up after this game. Recruit 1 now has +1 Fight bringing him up to +3 Fight.

After the missions regular healing the surviving members of the party did pretty well on the survival checks as well. Recruit 1 passed the check on the Templar and my Knight passed the check on my Ranger. My Ranger also cast Heal on the Templar and brought him to full health. Minus the loss of a party member they're actually looking pretty good on health for the next scenario.   

13.thumb.jpg.f653e3ad99815d27b9883d25814f02e4.jpg

As for naming an MVP I think I have to go with my Knight. Passing a Strength Roll to open the closet, passing a Perception Roll to find the porcelain decanter (gaining 10 XP), and killing two Giant Spiders she truly was my MVP.

As usual I came away from this game still no closer to the decanter's location. With only two more places to search for clues and the Shadow Deep presenting more deadly challenges I may have to try and guess the decanter's location. That being said if the Abbess' Quarters doesn't provide further clues my plan is to just guess.      

• Like 6

So a bit of good news, bad news for the campaign. Good news I'll be playing for awhile as I bought all the supplements. 

20210517_210846.thumb.jpg.b285da8d30ae151f794de7074e7e37c8.jpg

Bad news is I probably won't be playing this week. 

• Like 8

Looks like this weekend is shaping up to be as busy as last weekend. Seeing as I'd like to find out what happens just as much as everyone else I went ahead and just played the next scenario tonight instead of painting. So tomorrow this week's game should be up.

• Like 2

I guess you could say I was right, the weekend did end up being very busy. So instead of writing up Thursday night's game the next night as usual here it is a couple days late.

Reaching the top of the staircase we found a simple room covered in a damp carpet. The roof has a sizeable hole in it exposing the room to the elements. In the corner sits a desk with a dead body slumped over it, it  may even be the abbess herself. Before we can investigate however a familiar buzzing fills the air... 

1.thumb.jpg.e38274dfe70df23cbb8d597ff75f8dc7.jpg

Just a couple of proxies this time, though there may be a couple surprise proxies dropping in as well. 

The Giant Spiders are actual Giant Spiders this time.

The GW Dwarves will be filling in for Giant Flies.

The Kobolds will be filling in for Gnoll Archers. 

2.thumb.jpg.37bcb1cdf5227c40edb0e5804706d2cd.jpg

The Abbess's Quarters are fairly spartan with the main room consisting solely of a desk and two bookshelves (represented by a stone altar and two Jersey barriers). There are also two doors presumably leading to her private chambers. Last but not least there is a huge hole in the roof leaving the room open to the elements and creatures. 

3.thumb.jpg.35c2a8166f28e53d3116cc1fb4e6a0bd.jpg

Turn one my Ranger group activates with the Templar and Knight. The Templar and Knight both double move. My Ranger uses a single move then shoots at a Giant Fly. Hitting the Giant Fly it is killed outright.

The two remaining Giant Flies double moved towards the party. 

The Arcanist, Recruit 1, and Recruit 2 also double moved hoping to stick close to the Ranger and the "Group Activation Friends".

The Event Deck then brought forth a bolt of lightning. The lightning counted as a +5 elemental magic shooting attack against a random hero. The unlucky recipient of this attack was Recruit 1 who rolled a Nat 1 while trying to avoid the bolt and took 4 damage going down to 6 health.   

4.thumb.jpg.2d73c342250fafedf40a588399659d2f.jpg

Turn two my Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. The Templar double moved while my Ranger and Knight took single moves. This actually brought all three into combat with the nearest Giant Fly. My Ranger attacked the Giant Fly but lost (to a Nat 20) and took 7 damage going down to 9 health. My Knight then attacked the Giant Fly and killed it. 

The final Giant Fly double moved towards the party but couldn't make it into combat. 

The Arcanist and Recruit 2 took double moves staying close to the rest of the party. Recruit 1 used a single move to get into combat with the last Giant Fly and attacking managed to kill it.

The Event Deck then spawned a Red Mist. This would have given a random Giant Fly +2 Fight for the remainder of the scenario but as there were no Giant Flies left alive it instead attacked a random hero. The figure, this time my Arcanist, must make a Will Roll (TN12) or suffer 3 points of damage. Luckily my Arcanist passed the check and took no damage.  

5.thumb.jpg.d1208f877684900b939e6be878afc480.jpg

Turn three my Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. My Templar and Knight both double moved towards the desk. My Ranger however took a single move and then cast Heal on himself (+5 health) bringing him up to 14 health.

The remaining party members double moved towards the desk, though they moved towards the right of it in preparation of their next move towards the far bookcase and door (Marker 2 and Marker 4). 

The Event Deck then spawned two Giant Flies in the center of the room courtesy of the hole in the roof. 

6.thumb.jpg.7f52a28091e3a44cb59dd34ea43775e4.jpg

Turn four my Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. My Ranger and Knight single moved away from the desk making their way towards the corner of the room. My Templar reached the desk and discovered the Old Nun wasn't just a corpse. It suddenly sat up and vomited a cloud of insects making a +0 attack which missed my Templar. My Ranger then tried to shoot a Giant Fly but missed. 

The Old Nun (proxied with a Ghoul which it also uses the stats of) attacked my Templar and hit with a Nat 20 doing 10 damage and taking him down to 2 health. Both Giant Flies double moved into combat with my Ranger.

Recruit 1 attacked a Giant Fly and killed it. Recruit 2 attacked the remaining Giant Fly but lost and was knocked out. My Arcanist then attacked the Giant Fly but also lost taking 1 damage and going down to 5 health.

The Event Deck then spawned two more Giant Flies in the center of the room. 

7.thumb.jpg.1ae1f4aee28a453d161d9d6f579de1b6.jpg

Turn five my Ranger group activated with the Knight and Recruit 1. My Knight double moved into combat with the Old Nun while Recruit 1 single moved into combat with the nearest Giant Fly. My Ranger then attacked the Giant Fly and killed it.

The Old Nun attacked the Templar and lost (with a Nat 1) and took 9 damage going down to 1 health. The two Giant Flies double moved into combat with Recruit 1.

The Arcanist attacked a Giant Fly and killed it. The Templar then attacked the Old Nun which provoked another attack from the insects. He managed to survive the insects but lost the fight with the Old Nun and was knocked out. 

Then Event Deck then spawned a Giant Spider from the lower floor. It appeared through a hole and grabbed a Giant Fly before disappearing back through the hole. 

8.thumb.jpg.02db1da3c250b2980493dcf9449fcbaf.jpg

Turn six my Ranger group activated with the Arcanist and Recruit 1. The Arcanist and Recruit 1 double moved towards the corner of the room. My Ranger moved to the Old Nun and attacked finally killing it. 

The Knight double moved making sure to stay near the Ranger.

The Event Deck then spawned two Giant Flies coming up the staircase. 

9.thumb.jpg.77da97b5e5669ec7ee269cf2a8270042.jpg

Turn seven my Ranger group activated with the Knight and they both double moved towards the center of the room. 

The Giant Flies double moved towards the Ranger. 

My Arcanist reached the far bookcase (Marker 2) but failing a Perception Roll (TN12) he found nothing of interest. Recruit 1 made it to the far door (Marker 4) and found it unlocked. Inside was a small bed with a large white grub (proxied by a Viking-esque figure) slowly writhing on top of it.

The Event Deck then spawned a black cloud of disease. Everyone had to make a Health Roll (TN12) or be diseased but luckily everyone passed.  

10.thumb.jpg.de1c451e9edc5ba07c7bf3f5af906dbe.jpg

Turn eight my Ranger group activated with the Knight and again they both took double moves. 

The Giant Flies double moved towards my Ranger.

Recruit 1 moved into the bedroom and killed the Giant Grub. Driving his blade into the creature though he felt something hard and decided to investigate. Tearing the creature open he found a silver chalice (+10 XP) but he also had to make a Health Roll (TN18) or become diseased. He failed the roll and became diseased. My Arcanist double moved towards the Ranger. 

The Event Deck then spawned two Gnoll Archers in the unopened room. 

11.thumb.jpg.62b67285a960c43d801019ffe52d36cf.jpg

Turn nine my Ranger again group activated with the Knight. They both used single moves to get into combat with the Giant Flies. My Ranger attacked first and killed one. Not to be outdone my Knight killed her Giant Fly as well. 

The Gnoll Archers needed a double move just to get out of the room so the game ended there. 

Like last time the survival rolls were a bit all over the place. Recruit 2 was badly wounded and will start the next game -5 health. My Templar had a close call and lost all his nonstandard equipment (Ironbark Powder +1 Armor, -2 Will).

On the plus side my Templar did level up however and now has +1 health. It may not sound like much but every little bit helps in this game. Case in point if he had had just 1 more point of health going into this scenario he would have survived the hit that knocked him out, that's just how close his final fight was. 

After the regular healing my party did pretty well on the survival checks yet again. My Arcanist passed the check for my Templar while Recruit 1 passed the check for Recruit 2 with a Nat 20 no less. With only one exception this will be the party's starting health for the next game. After the checks I forgot to subtract 5 health from Recruit 2 due to his wound so he'll actually be starting the game with only 3 health. 

12.thumb.jpg.fb174cfa7112981d5bd27d6d1d86ee6f.jpg

As for naming an MVP I think it has to go to my Ranger. Killing three Giant Flies (one of them turn one no less), and killing the Old Nun may not make this the most impressive performance we've seen but its enough to name him MVP of this game.   

I think this was the last place we were going to find any clues but rather than trying to guess the location of the Decanter I've decided to try the final room instead. So next week I'll see if the Dormitory has any clues that can point me in the right direction. Otherwise it'll be exactly what I feared I'll just have to guess. 

• Like 6