I thought I had already posted this but it turns out I hadn't. 

I didn't play this past weekend as I've been dealing with household projects instead. With the little bit of downtime I've had I chose to spend it painting instead of playing. Though I love playing games with others (and find it a better stress reliever than painting at times) solo gaming is a different story. By a huge margin I find painting the better stress reliever to solo gaming so that's what I've been doing instead. 

Barring anything else happening I'll play the dormitory scenario this upcoming weekend and hopefully get back to playing on a regular night again. 

• Like 4
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite a bit behind with this week's game but the battle report should be up sometime tonight. This scenario won't take too long to write up, ominous vagueness very much intentional. 

• Like 1

I had hoped to post this report last night but I simply didn't get a chance to write it up. As some of you may already know my hobby time is usually limited to a few hours in the evening after the rest of the family has gone to bed. Those couple of hours are when I play, paint, or write up battle reports just as I intended to last night. The kid was having a particularly rough night however and writing up a battle report naturally went by the wayside. So even later than expected here is my report of the last game and my final chance to find clues leading to the decanter.

Excerpt from Ranger Aarn Cral's campaign journal 

With the staircase leading up from the hospital partially collapsed it wasn't easy reaching the top. Towards the end we even had to climb up the wall itself. Some of the party struggled with this more than the others. Looking around the destruction is even greater than it appeared from below. Three large holes nearly cut the room in half and just like the hospital there are webs everywhere. Spiders have truly taken over this section of the convent.  

1.thumb.jpg.95e656fdd7cfb4c9bd74d0a232093ce9.jpg

As per usual its time to introduce this game's proxies.

The Spider will be an actual Giant Spider.

The Orc will be filling in for a Gnoll Sergeant.

The White Knight will be filling in for a Gnoll Fighter.

The Kobold will be filling in for a Gnoll Archer.

The GW Dwarf will be filling in for a Giant Fly.

The Skeleton will be filling in for a Tortured Soul.

The Kurgan inspired Skeleton will be filling in for a Shadow Knight.

2.thumb.jpg.c0d10d3889e97196b25cc5bc90ffa8a1.jpg

This scenario does contain a few special rules worth going over as well. First all heroes must make a Climb Roll (TN8) to reach the room on the first turn otherwise they show up on turn two. Secondly the room has three narrow walkways between three rather large holes in the floor (represented here by torn up shop towels). These walkways being rather narrow and weak come with some added problems. Any figure that makes a second move during it's activation and ends it within 2" of a hole, or that loses a combat while within 2" of a hole must make either a Move Roll (TN12) or an Acrobatics Roll (TN8) or fall through the hole. Thankfully the webs below will cushion the figure's fall and it won't be hurt but it will be out of the scenario. Giant Spiders and any figures with the flying ability will not have to roll to avoid falling into the holes however. Last but not least the heroes may exit the table by the stairs or through one of the holes. 

3.thumb.jpg.13bc0180915f2e1f40de7f4ba4797fff.jpg

Turn one my Ranger, Templar, Knight, and Recruit 2 all passed the Climb Roll (TN8) but my Arcanist and Recruit 1 weren't so lucky. My Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. All three use double moves approaching the first walkway. My Ranger is the only one close enough to force a Move Roll however and he passes. 

The two Giant Spiders double moved towards the party. 

*On a side note though the Giant Spiders and Giant Flies cannot fall through the holes in the floor I was unsure if they could move over the holes. As described each hole should be a mess of webs which I assume the Giant Spiders could cross and obviously the Giant Flies would simply fly over. With no rules clarification that I could find I decided to force everything to move around the holes just like the heroes. It may not be right but that's how I ran it.

Recruit 2 took a single move choosing to wait for the rest of the party to arrive. 

The Event Deck then spawned a Gnoll party made up of a Gnoll Sergeant, a Gnoll Fighter, and a Gnoll Archer.   

4.thumb.jpg.8a61e23da1e5f419c0f31972348aadcb.jpg

Turn two the Arcanist and Recruit 1 finally arrived. My Ranger group activated with the Templar and Knight. My Ranger double moved across the walkway and failing his Move Roll (with a Nat 1) fell through a hole. My Templar and Knight proved luckier as they both double moved and passed their Move Rolls.

The Gnoll Sergeant double moved towards the party and passed his Move Roll with a natural 20. The Gnoll Fighter also double moved but failed his Move Roll and fell through the hole. The Gnoll Archer shot at my Knight but missed. Last but not least the two Giant Spiders took another double.

My Arcanist and Recruit 1 double moved into combat with a Giant Spider. Recruit 2 then moved into combat with the Giant Spider and attacked. Hitting the Giant Spider for 1 damage it went down to 3 health.

The Event Deck then spawned a Giant Spider in front of one of the chests.  

5.thumb.jpg.1b39d2891a3210302c6ed44dd69a9362.jpg

Turn three the Gnoll Sergeant attacked my Knight hitting for 2 damage and taking her down to 11 health. Unfortunately my Knight then failed her Move Roll and fell into a hole. The Gnoll Archer shot at my Templar and missed. The two Giant Spiders not in combat took double moves towards the party. The Giant Spider locked in combat attacked Recruit 2 and losing it was killed. 

My Templar attacked the Gnoll Sergeant and managed to kill it with a single blow. The Arcanist, Recruit 1, and Recruit 2 then double moved into combat with another Giant Spider.

The Event Deck then spawned two Giant Flies on the staircase.  

6.thumb.jpg.5847e824ca6d86d433122e9cdb2cc996.jpg

Turn four the Gnoll Archer shot at my Templar and missed. The Giant Flies double moved. A Giant Spider attacked my Templar and was killed. The other Giant Spider attacked Recruit 2 and was also killed. 

Trying to get over the narrow walkway my Templar double moved. Like the others he failed his Move Roll and fell through the hole. My Arcanist, Recruit 2, and Recruit 1 all double moved towards a walkway. Recruit 1 passed his Move Roll with a natural 20. 

The Event Deck then spawned another Giant Spider in front of a chest. This time at the other end of the table however.

7.thumb.jpg.86ea201724c9e3eed5b89c4f493931a3.jpg

Turn five the Gnoll Archer shot Recruit 1 and hit for 3 damage taking him down to 6 health. Luckily Recruit 1 passed his Move Roll and stayed on the walkway. The Giant Flies and the Giant Spider double moved towards the remaining party.

Recruit 1, Recruit 2, and my Arcanist all double moved onto the walkway and passed their Move Rolls. 

The Event Deck obviously didn't take to kindly to my figures passing their rolls however as an earthquake began. This forced all figures within 2" of a hole to pass either an Acrobatics Roll (TN10) or a Move Roll (TN18) to avoid falling into the hole. Recruit 1 failed a Move Roll while Recruit 2 failed his Acrobatics Roll (oddly enough this is one of the few Acrobatics Rolls he's ever attempted and even with a +3 he failed).  My Arcanist somehow passed his Move Roll though and stayed on the board. 

8.thumb.jpg.3d7b7a78c2844713fad852140119fea2.jpg

Turn six the Gnoll Archer shot at my Arcanist and missed. The Giant Flies double moved. The Giant Spider attacked the Arcanist and hit for 3 damage taking him down to 5 health. 

My Arcanist then attacked the Giant Spider and lost taking 1 damage going down to 4 health.

The Event Deck then spawned a Tortured Soul. 

9.thumb.jpg.26aa01e7b65a920f2a610c5cbb45204f.jpg

Turn seven the Gnoll Archer double moved and passed his Move Roll. The first Giant Fly attacked the Arcanist and was killed. The Second one attacked the Arcanist and knocked him out ending the scenario. 

10.thumb.jpg.df63e2f10ed97ea4ebb6a07ba7515fec.jpg

Somehow my Arcanist survived and made a full recovery. After the usual healing and the after game checks in this mission the party isn't looking too bad going into the final search. My group activation pals are even at full health. 

My Knight also leveled up after the game. This allowed me to add +4 to any skill to a maximum of 10. I almost added it to swimming but I decided a +8 strength would prove more useful. So I guess we know who will be breaking down all the doors going forward. 

Without any more clues its finally come down to a simple guess. Will I guess correctly and find the decanter or will I guess wrong and have to return empty handed? Tune in next time to find out!

• Like 3