Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hello everyone, here's what I painted last week, a Skeleton Horde by Games Workshop / Citadel Miniatures from 1986. I mounted them on 25mm base and converted a few of them. I used remaining parts from other minis and changed some shields, skulls and weapons. I also printed two army trays to be able to move them more easily and change their arrangement on the game table. There's 16 skeletons in total and I intend to use them during future D&D games.
More pictures under the spoiler (64 pictures).
Finished and based them.
It's the weekend and you know what that means - lots of painting.
Got two little baddies here that are a nice departure from my Goblin Menace group I've been invested into. I'm sure one of these green baddies is yelling out a command to go attack something, but how fitting to say, "Pull my finger." Goblins humor.
* Tried priming this time with an all metallic spray. This was the Army Painter's Plate Mail primer. Worked pretty well considering how much ground I needed to cover with the metallic. Note that this did not have a tackiness to it like my little crab did with the Vallejo Leather primer. Strange?
* Taking a first run over the armor with Nuln Oil helped save a lot of time. I then went over some of the other areas of the plate with Vallejo Metal Gun Metal. Win!
* Tried doing a rusting look over the plate with Agrax Earthshade - win. Looked nice and grimey.
* Since these were already dirty, I figured why not add some damage to the plate and weapons. Added rust and blood effects to the weapons and it came out pretty good I think. Added some needed character.
* The "Pull my finger" goblin doesn't have really good clarity in the sculpt to get two eyes definined. It wasn't bad to only have the one, but would have preferred two eyes.
* The teeth look pretty bland. Used a white and yellow color mixed but it looked muddled. Tried to show separation with black line. Meh.
* Originally had their lower cloth as warlord purple, but it just didn't fit. Covered it with Gnoll Hide MSP, but even that looks kind of drab. I feel that was a good chance to pop up the colors, but fell flat.
* Used the Breast Cancer Pink again for the mouths. Still works well, but needed better definition for the rest of the mouth.
These look pretty decent. I'll have to come up with a fun base or story for these two. I also snagged the regular goblins, so coming up with something cool for all of them may be a good challenge to come.
As always - any areas you see for improvement?
Now it's no secret that I'm a fan of Games Workshop minis, there's two problems with this though, I can't paint armies (I've tried, I lose interest after the first few minis) so I miss out on the interesting units, and just buying heroes gets rather expensive!
Then I discovered their Underworlds game, getting little bite-sized versions of the various factions (often with fancy bases!), and now I'm obsessed.
This year I want to try and put a dent in this particular pile of plastic (or, at least cancel out the new ones I'm getting), and thought a project thread might help.
I've made a spreadsheet, ran a number generator and picked the first ten candidates.
Laserian - An evil Knight and Balmonoth - Insidous Rat-man.
The Champion - Wandering Undead Warrior (He's not actually an Underworlds mini, he's one of only two Games Workshop resin minis I brought that were cast well enough to keep, but he fits in the skeleton faction.) and One-Eyed Thabron - Orc Mercenary.
Awil-sin - Fey Elf and Jafari - Cultist.
Yrkill - Sky Dwarf Adventurer and Fahime - Evil Elven Assassin.
Padean - Barbarian of the Western Plains and Elodie of the Blade - Elven Peacekeeper.
Started working on Elodie:-
Being an Elf I used Elf Fleshtone > Flesh Wash > Elf Fleshtone > Elf Fleshtone/Light Flesh, added a drop of Scarlett Red to the highlight mix for her lips, and gave her a pretty decent (IMO) pair of eyes.
Next is her wacky hair.
Who's Online 13 Members, 1 Anonymous, 37 Guests (See full list)