TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, February 2021

Once again the questions are mine to ask.  I applogize in advance for just how lame some of mine can be. :)

The rules as they currently stand (in addition to all regular forum rules):

1. Every day, or so (unless I am out or ill or some thing) I will post a question.

1.5. Should I be unable to post a question for the day a crack team of deputy quisitors, former quisitors, and random forum members are all chomping at the bit to step in and post one... 

2. In theory there is a 24 hour span to answer that question before the next question is posted.
2.5. (Rule 2 is the most frequently ignored rule.)
3. Questions are going to be posted sometime before 10:30am Eastern US Daylight time.
4. Everyone is encouraged to suggest future questions to be posted via PM to me... 
5. You do not have to answer every question to play...
6. If a question is TMI or N/A simply wait for the next question.. ..or post that you decline to answer (clues regarding why can be fun...unless TMI).
7. Weekend questions may take the form of two or three day quests, starting on Friday or Saturday.

The first question shall be posted after a brief pause to prevent the merging of posts.

• Like 8

February 1: Do you feed/attract any wildlife.  If so, what do you feed and what is attracted to it? 

(Pictures are not required but would be awesome!)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 1: Do you feed/attract any wildlife.  If so, what do you feed and what is attracted to it? 

We give the neighborhood deer banana peels. They love them...it's a change of taste from grass & leaves I suppose.

Well...this isn't a deer eating a banana peel. It is Luther The Rooster, who thought he was a deer, with his woman:

ACtC-3cWbeuMxupqzZ5nkwnE0-n8ZjfZ_tPhScaE

They do make a nice couple though.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

3 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not intentionally. I'm currently sharing my honeycrisp trees with a squirrel and a deer family, though.

When Bart was around, we used to have a couple bird feeders. It took me a couple seasons, but I managed to find a system that thwarted the squirrels. I was quite proud of myself, right up until the deer mama came down and emptied the feeders onto the ground and the fam tuck into the feed...the deer would do in a half hour what it took a week for the squirrels to do, so I finally gave up.

I've built a couple little spots in the woods to attract skunk dens. Purely a defensive maneuver to keep them from finding a more destructive option by the house. At some point I'll get off my duff and get a couple bat boxes.

Oddly, I get almost as much wildlife living in the city than I did living in the country (to be fair, I'm on the outskirt of the city with only a single road separating me from miles of woods). 

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Mostly squirrels & I get big bags of unsalted peanuts for "em.

• Like 9

14 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

No.

Used to, had a bird table and feeders and would put out seed and stuff, but when we had to rip the large ivy plant out of the garden (before the wall it was attached to collapsed), the birds just stopped coming for some reason.

• Like 9

21 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I used to keep a couple of bird feeders in our yard. And when I lived up on the Lake Erie I'd put halved oranges in the trees to feed/attract the Orioles during migration time. But where I'm at now we don't do any of that. No orioles to attract and a big Basswood out back has plenty of wildlife living in it without me needing to feed anything. A couple of summers ago I had a juvenile hummingbird end up stunned in our garden and we fed it sugar water until it recovered and was able to fly away. Last summer we had an adult hummingbird nesting somewhere in our tree and it would check me out in the garden, but I never could get it to land nearby for some sugar water. No idea if it's the same one or not, but I like to think it is. Maybe if it comes back next summer I can convince it to land on me.

20190702_210422.thumb.jpg.2d87bcf6243509524e95a64c0471045c.jpg

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

• Like 1
  • Haha 18

58 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Used to, back in Baltimore. Had several bird feeders set up. Now in NYC? Nope.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Unfortunately, yes. Some of you may know about my coyote problem. I accidently started this myself. I used to throw everything out "for the birds". We do have crows and the fattest magpies you will ever see. The coyotes got so brazen I would see them in the yard at night, sneaking into the quonset to steal garbage from the bags. My landlady has since rented a dumpster, so there are no garbage bags in the quonset waiting to go to the dump. The meat scraps are burned. I still do pitch the compost. We will see how that goes. 

• Like 9

No, there’s no Disney Princess in my lineage.

• Like 2
  • Haha 12

We have put up a feeder table for birds and squirrels and some smaller feeder stations.

20201115_104517.jpg

20201026_124140.jpg

• Like 10

Yes we put out bird feeders in the late fall through spring (there is a bird disease present in this area, Trichomoniasis, that spreads during the warm months, so feeders and birdbaths in the summer are a no-no, according to the birding community).

birds.thumb.jpg.391b1d640ec9da028614f3e67439895a.jpg

That shot was a while ago, we've had a thaw or two, and straightened the big pole since then.  There was more snow then than we have that the moment.

We get the occasional squirrel out there.  And we have a roaming pack of deer, that's why we have a pole so high for the feeders, to try to keep them from dumping them.

I do have a shot of those punks from when they were out vandalizing pumpkins after Halloween.

deer.jpg.3a49c13dc32b582eaf4926680ac218c2.jpg

25 minutes ago, redambrosia said:

No, there’s no Disney Princess in my lineage.

At the rate Disney is buying up properties, that could change at any time.  I mean look at poor Thor.
thor.thumb.jpg.18160cd00c6831d56700f2b33afcd6ab.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 13

From my current 2nd floor apartment, the only wildlife I have are houseflies.  Even when it's -20­°C outside in the dead of winter, they manage to find a home in our building.

I don't know what these ones normally eat as they ignore all of my trash and are more content in sunbathing on the windows.

• Like 9

Yes.  
Awesome Wife is a birder, and we have multiple feeders (sunflower, thistle, suet and humming bird) and bird baths.  She has also planted milkweed and butterfly bushes to attract the various butterflies that pass through our area.

The bird feeders tend to attract all of the stray/not-so-stray cats in the area as well as all of the squirrels.  Occasionally a hawk decides that our back yard makes a great all you can eat buffet and hangs out for a week or so.  We have a woodchuck living under our shed (who we leave alone as before she moved in there was a skunk) that quite enjoys eating the lily of the valley.  I had to fence in the garden last year to protect it from the depravations of the wild bunnies.  On occasion, our apple trees will be stripped of fruit by deer.

And every once in a while, our pantry will be ravaged by rampaging teens.  Though the quarantine has reduced those occurrences greatly. 

• Like 13