Getting to Know You, February 2021

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 10:  Are there any businesses that you are going out of your way to support during the pandemic?

I wouldn't say I go out of my way but I try to support my FLGS whenever I need rpg/mini stuff. Thou, I've never have bought or order any Reaper products from him. He doesn't stock em & his distributor for them is kinda wonky. Net merchs or Reaper themselves get that business. As far as food goes. we've ordered take out & when we could go inside & eat, a local Mexican restaurant gets our business. I'll probably order from them this Friday, as a matter of fact!

• Like 10
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

Okay, it’s a day late, but I made my Chinese food.    Pork lo Mein stir fry   Chicken and broccoli (since I didn’t have any beef)   I’m stuffed!

I'm trying to slog through my Reaper Challenge League entries, but I haven't been well the last week (thankfully not that, don't worry, I've been tested) so my hands were a 'tiny' bit shaky and I ende

Posted Images

February 10:  Are there any businesses that you are going out of your way to support during the pandemic?

Yes, my friends' FLGS. It's just a few blocks away from me, and they live just down the street from me. It's a small community that isn't all that geeky, and the pandemic has made it difficult for them. I do my best to support them, and our regulars also pitch in when they can. They've applied for all the loans they can, and the new sign they got (after 3 1/2 years) has increased their walk-in traffic significantly. (And yes, they carry Reaper paints and minis)

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
On 2/8/2021 at 6:24 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Monday, February 8:  What are you working on this month?

School and work.

On 2/9/2021 at 6:15 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 9: Do you still use a paper calendar; if so, what is this year's theme on your calendar.

I did not this year, but last year I was given one that was English kings and queens but as cats and dogs. It kinda made me laugh, especially since its depiction of King Henry the VIII looked like my own cat, fat and conceited.

• Like 10

The veterinarian's office... though I wouldn't say I'm going out of my way to do that, that's more of a necessity for my furbabies.

Not so much locally, because there really isn't much in town. A lot of smaller businesses closed a few years ago when the last of the manufacturing plants in town finally shutdown. Food-wise, it's pretty much a fastfood zone. Favorite pizza place closed down, so that's out. We don't really eat out much, except Burger King maybe once a month.

Hobby-wise, last year I made it a point to do a few small orders to some smaller mini companies. Red Box Games, because I'd hate to see Tre go out of business. Also Valiant Enterprises, I did a small order from them. Haven't done any orders from a smaller company this year, but I imagine I'll do at least one or two.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My local newsagent.

Very rarely used to go in there, but during the first bad bout of panic buying they went out of their way to make sure they had the essentials in stock (Unlike the grocery store), so we've continued to pop in at least once a week even though there's not that much we can buy from them.

Other than that, there's just nothing around here.

• Like 12
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm defiantly going out of my way to support my FLGS, it's in Red Deer. I spent so much money at that store when I used to live there. The staff is amazing and while I could order GW stuff online, it's the same price at the game store and they give me free old magazines. One time the owner even gave me a cave drake he couldn't sell because it was missing the babies that came with it. That's like a $75 mini free. 

The canoe club is also going out of our way to support the lessons/rental business in our boat bay. Last year, we hired them to do free lessons at our whitewater park. They lost a lot of revenue because they couldn't do school lessons. The members loved it, so we almost doubled the budget for coaching and lessons. We asked them to do some beginner stuff this year, as the WW park is more intermediate-advanced.  

• Like 9
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

not so much businesses, but I've been tipping significantly higher than normal in any situation where tips are accepted. 

• Like 10

I keep shopping at my local FLGS, the best i am managing is once a month.  Total Escape Games.  They hosted a monthly our Painting Club, and my RPG group. 

my tipping has gone up,  somewhere in the 20-30% range, but most of my orders are pizza. 

little enough.

• Like 10
7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Sadly, no. We’re not in a financially secure enough position to spend extra on anything, which means buying stuff as cheap as possible. I’m afraid the businesses we’ve been supporting have been Walmart and Amazon <_<

• Like 10
  • Sad 2
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I would say my local game store, but I don't pop in there as often as I would like.  Now that I know they have online options for a few things though, I might start doing pre-orders and whatnot through them, and when enough has come in pay for such things to be shipped out, especially if this insane cold continues. 

My deli is probably the biggest one overall, since it's the only place I seem willing to burn a bus ticket or two to visit...  I'd be going there today, but I need this cold to let up slightly if I'm going to be waiting at a bus stop for upwards of half an hour... 

• Like 10
11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

In general, I have always tried to give my business to mom and pop places as opposed to big chains; I did this as much a possible in New York. I haven't been here in Texas long enough to do so, but I intend to continue.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Local restaurants.  That's about it.

I should place another order through the FLGS that has a proper website for online ordering.

• Like 9
On 2/9/2021 at 12:15 PM, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 9: Do you still use a paper calendar; if so, what is this year's theme on your calendar.

We have three calendars this year, all cat related. This shouldn't be a surprise to anyone :lol:

First up is two charity calendars for Minicattown. They're a neonatal kitten rescue based in California and is run by three awesome sisters. You may have seen this internet famous picture of their pack- Fini, Rosie and Lilo.

image.png.f86ac97d651192d756fe8d0220985a5f.png

They do two calendars every year and all profits go to looking after their rescued kittens. You can find then online by searching for @lilothehusky and @minicattown.

1564148540_DSCN69181.thumb.JPG.05656006e07311463fba52fca9b8bb74.JPG

Our other calendar is from 1bike1world. Dean Nicholson was attempting to cycle across the world when he found a tiny, abandoned kitten trying to follow him as he cycled up a hill in Bosnia. She's now called Nala and they're now traveling together and the profits from the calendar go to help animal rescue charities that they've met on their journey.

548515759_DSCN69251.thumb.JPG.e0dc8934a5a1f8bcb4c5acfede531785.JPG

21 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

We're trying to order take out from places that we'd normally sit in to eat, but most places have shut their doors completely untll this current lockdown is over :(

I may have made a 'few' orders from the Reaper UK store too. Anne's painting stream on Twitch is a constant source of inspiration(and is good at showing me gaps in my paint collection !)

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 11