Getting to Know You, February 2021

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 1: Do you feed/attract any wildlife.  If so, what do you feed and what is attracted to it? 

(Pictures are not required but would be awesome!)

Deer. Each month I buy at least 160 lbs of corn, possibly more in the really cold months. Apple and carrot peels also go out to them, though I believe I will try adding banana peels after ready about them above. We have 3 to 10 deer regularly at the trough my dad built for them. I'll try to snag a pic tonight if they show up before dark.

We also feed numerous birds. There's about five bird feeders hanging outside, housing suet cake, sunflower seeds, and cracked corn. This also means we inadvertently feed the squirrels. A hummingbird feeder will get placed out once winter is gone.

• Like 8
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

Okay, it’s a day late, but I made my Chinese food.    Pork lo Mein stir fry   Chicken and broccoli (since I didn’t have any beef)   I’m stuffed!

I'm trying to slog through my Reaper Challenge League entries, but I haven't been well the last week (thankfully not that, don't worry, I've been tested) so my hands were a 'tiny' bit shaky and I ende

Posted Images

February 1: Do you feed/attract any wildlife.  If so, what do you feed and what is attracted to it? 

Well, not intentionally, but every summer the vampire demon bugs mosquitoes get a healthy feast of my blood.

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

I don't, but I do tend to birds that thump into my living room window, or check on those that nest in the trees by my porch. Also, I will be happy this year if the blue jay isn't attracted back here again.

2 hours ago, Guindyloo said:

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

But he'll never be able to be released back into the wild now!

• Like 6
  • Haha 4
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Birds.  Anything from Sparrows to Turkeys. Pileated woodpecker comes around a lot.  We also get raccoons, chipmunks, squirrels  and coyotes attracted by the spilled seed. 

• Like 9
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

We don't feed anymore because the HOA is in a fit about raccoons or something. We'd feed the stray cats for a while. We have now put out a small cat house with cushion and self-warming cat bed in it. I feel it's the least I can do with all the rain and cold.

• Like 11
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Feed - one Australian magpie that hangs around our chicken coop so that it doesn't swoop us during breeding season

Attract - since we've been in this house we've seen general bird life increase significantly - Fairy Wrens, various finches, Superb Parrots, Lorikeets and others. We put it down to the fact that we don't have a dog that chases everything that moves! Also have an echidna and various lizards that we see wandering around

• Like 10
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I live in an apartment without a balcony, so not at this time.  I do seem to occasionally attract deer though, at least I did when I was working and delivering to an ethanol plant.

I have a pic on my old work phone that I took when one of the young deer decided I was a curious oddity to investigate - and the back of my van apparently must have smelt rather interesting.  So not used to deer getting within arm's reach.  Odds are it wouldn't have gone into my vehicle, but it kept looking in there so I was like "yeaaaah, I'm gonna close the sliding door just in case" and "I don't want to have to call my boss to say I can't go anywhere because a deer decided to take a nap in my van" or something like that...

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

They're not really wildlife but I tend to attract loose dogs. Off their lead or wandered out the door or jumped the fence, doesn't matter. They all decide I'm The One who will hang out with them and maybe help them get places.

I've had inner city pit bulls jump into my arms. I've hung out with loose great danes. I've scooped mini mutts off the side of the road. I've had dogs run up to me just to say hi with their angry owners puffing after. I've sat with loose rotties who can't get back into their yards and waited with them until someone got home.

It's just a thing I'm used to that other people still think is weird.

• Like 11
11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not currently. Since I just moved, I'm not even sure what kind of wildlife might be around. Since I am currently in the urban 'jungle', I'm not expecting much.

• Like 9
13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Right now, we have two bird feeders which attract birds. One is a seed feeder, which we fill with black oil sunflower seeds. The other is a peanut feeder we fill with hot pepper suet nuggets.

The seed feeder also attracts squirrels, but we’ve solved that problem. They still graze leftovers from the deck. Sometimes voles feed on the leftovers too.

We had a pair of raccoons playing with the seed feeder so we started bringing it inside each night.

During warmer months, we also put out a hummingbird feeder.

We sometimes have rabbits nibbling on our lawn but we don’t deliberately attract them. Yet.

• Like 9
14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not really, but the racoons like to climb our house... I'm really not sure why..

My mother has the feeding covered at her place . She takes care of the birds, deer, squirrels, bunnies, groundhogs, chipmunks, turkeys, a neigborhood cat or two, and the occasional fox.

• Like 8

QUESTION Feb. 2nd. is brought to you by WOOF.

We deny having taken Talespinner hostage so we could post a question...

What is the most dangerous animal that lives in the Wild in your area and did you ever meet it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
49 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

What is the most dangerous animal that lives in the Wild in your area and did you ever meet it?

The Pretentious Entitled Human.

I met one in San Jose, California. I was on the sidewalk. While on the sidewalk I had to dive out of the way of a rampaging car. The Pretentious Entitled Human got mad I was in his way.

I usually see several around most days. You can tell them by their bare faces in a time of plague.

Edited by NebulousMissy
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

Intel reports show that it definitely isn't a hostage situation.  Something about several pounds of greenstuff being at their disposal as well as an entire elite kitchen at their beck and call...  And all they seem to be doing is enjoying the comfy bed we also provided.  Murmours of "freedom from kids" were reported by some agents, but not confirmed - just reports about how accurate of an aim said human has with pillows when groggy and trying to sleep.

Hmmmm, I could have sworn I saw a cab driver not only following the rules of the road but actually paying attention for pedestrians instead of trying to run them over and feign they didn't see them...

So instead of going to go with the special operations Richardson Ground Squirrels, also known as Saskatachewan's Provincial Army....

• Haha 8

The small child's Red Beast

(she has impulse control issues)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1