Getting to Know You, February 2021

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Friday, February 12: How rebellious were you as a teen?

That really depends on how you define rebellious.  According to my parents?  Yes, a bit.

• Like 8
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

If I was rebellious, no one noticed. I was a quiet introverted teenager that liked geeky things that weren't mainstream.

Back then, I did fit the stereotypical overweight, zit faced geek teenager with BO that lives in the basement archetype.

Was I popular with the ladies? Well considering I was going to an all-boy private school, the official answer is "N/A".

• Like 8

Not towards my parents .. there was very little to rebel against, my mother had so many rules to fight against growing up t she went the other way.  

Like in JR High I told all my friends I had a midnight curfew, because we never did anything fun after that and I wanted to go home. 

when I was caught climbing out my 2nd floor window, and down the porch at night - I was told I could I could just use the door. 

I replied that was less fun, and continued to use the window for further travels. 

I did spend a lot of time isolating in my room,  but would come out if asked,  mostly I was playing  (D&D) with myself. 

• Like 9
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Extremely. I founded a thrash metal band in 1984, I was 14. We were regularly playing house parties immediately (our rehearsal space was a party house).

There's a lot more, but, you know, statutes of limitation and let's just not get into it (actually, none of it was so bad that the statutes would still apply, but I prefer to play it safe...I'm very not rebellious now hah).

I can say in high school I learned to game the punishment system so that I benefitted from my rebellious behavior in school. See, all punishments followed an escalation chart, with out-of-school suspension being the end of the chart. However, everything funneled through in-school-suspension...and that room was tucked in the music wing. So I would skip all my detentions until it escalated to ISS and then I would go grab a guitar and spend the day practicing, bringing in music workbooks, etc (this is actually how I got an exception to enter the 4th year of the music program despite not doing the initial 3, the music teacher saw me studying/playing in ISS so often!).

The bonus was that it also inconvenienced all my teachers. They had to make a special trip to the ISS room to give me my lessons and homework every day I was in there. I was a devious sob as a kid.

• Like 10

Nothing worth mentioning...my parents were always very supportive of me and my brother, so we were signed up for classes or lessons as it appealed, they attended all our shows/concerts, and Mom made snacks for all the D&D players perpetually in the basement...

• Like 7

Not very.

My parents were pretty strict and had a lot of rules, but I never saw much point in fighting back, at the time anyways.

The most rebellious thing I can remember doing was falling in with a shoplifting gang for a bit (I was lousy at it and quickly got caught, I then realised that even though we were a gang I was the only one actually doing the stealing, so I stopped associating with those particular "friends" outside of school.)

• Like 9

Hmm on a scale of 1-10, I was probably in the realm of 7-8.  I was responsible enough when it came to jobs, but there was a lot of skipping school, drinking, smoking of various things and general shenanigans that make me cringe now.  Managed to keep a lot of it under wraps from my folks or they chose not to intercede because they were usually too busy giving my poor brother a hard time.  

• Like 7
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Well I tried...

I grew my hair long, dressed like a real metalhead ( denim and leather) hang out with guys and girls who did the same.

And then my parents ( who grew up with Rock and Roll) invited all those friends over to party in our attic.

My dad decided Motorhead sounded like Rock and Roll and asked for a mix tape.

My mother fed my friends cookies, tea, and chips.

So...how to rebell then?

I did make a few mistakes which were corrected by dad...but overall I think it was all pretty innocent.

• Like 5
  • Haha 5
On 2/9/2021 at 6:15 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 9: Do you still use a paper calendar; if so, what is this year's theme on your calendar.

Yes. I drew a personal one to track my feelings (leaves), evening prayer (roots), and art (fruit, the beech nuts). February started so poorly that I haven't drawn the branch yet, even though there were some okay moments in there. I need to get to that this weekend.

I can't seem to get uploads to work. My tree calendar.

I have an all-on-one-page calendar on the fridge with a cardinal and Justin uses his goofy Cisco one at his desk. But I just glance at those, Google Calendar is my current survival tool for a busy day.

Cisco's "Snort" Themed Calendar. Many silly piggies!

On 2/10/2021 at 7:13 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 10:  Are there any businesses that you are going out of your way to support during the pandemic?

We live in a new housing area, so everything is out of the way. We occasionally pick up from our two favorite  mom & pop places (Tex-Mex and Japanese).

And probably more Popeye's chicken sandwiches than is healthy, but they are so crispy and good..... :ph34r: It's our only fast food!

On 2/11/2021 at 5:49 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, February 11: Do you have any survival skills, and what non-human environment and season would you do the best in?

*takes notes on who would join my survivalist team*

I know some basic things and I love camping, but it's been years since I've used a bow or gun -- or even looked in my go bag....

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

When I grew up, therapy taught me that I wasn't rebellious, my parents were just jerks. :rolleyes:

• Like 10
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Mom would say yes, I'd say not really. 

Unless rebelling counts as putting in a good effort on three different teams (swim, badminton, and curling) while also being one of the ones that had rounded up a bunch of the geeks to have lunch together.... 

• Like 7
9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Intentionally, very little. I tried to please my parents, never got into trouble at school, kept a solid B+ average, didn't smoke pot, etc.  But nothing was ever good enough for them, my grades, my friends, my interests, my plans for college, the books I read, and especially "my attitude".  My mom would eventually admit that I "turned out ok despite the problems" they had with me. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Well I tried...

I grew my hair long, dressed like a real metalhead ( denim and leather) hang out with guys and girls who did the same.

And then my parents ( who grew up with Rock and Roll) invited all those friends over to party in our attic.

My dad decided Motorhead sounded like Rock and Roll and asked for a mix tape.

My mother fed my friends cookies, tea, and chips.

So...how to rebell then?

I did make a few mistakes which were corrected by dad...but overall I think it was all pretty innocent.

Those rotten parents! Foiling your rebellious plans!

• Haha 7
10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My parents left me alone in the house *once* during my high school years.

My friend came over an we crafted a new D&D world.

Oh, and I ate ice cream in bed. For dinner.

• Haha 11
11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not terribly. Some friends and I did something once that resulted in the police being called and a trip down to the station. When we called my mother, she asked if it was drugs, to which I could honestly say 'no'. When  she arrived to pick me up, she told me if it had been 'yes' she would've left me there. I got that message loud and clear. I did the usual stuff, ditching class to go hang out at the mall and whatnot, but nothing really crazy. My parents were pretty relaxed about what I did for the most part. 

• Like 7