Getting to Know You, February 2021

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Monday, February 15: Have you ever brought someone new into the hobby, who, and how did it go?
(Sorry about the lack of a Weekend question; I often have trouble remembering to go on the internet on the weekends.)

In 50 years, probably...but it does depend on how one defines the hobby.  Most recently, we brought on a few new people at work because most of us are of retirement age, and one of them was coming to wargames club meetings just before everything locked down.  I didn’t have him trying to paint yet, so it’s too soon to tell.

I feel like the real answer, though, is that I brought my children up in the hobby.  Currently my younger one is preoccupied with grad school (in chemistry), but he’s continuing to read and research for hobby stuff, as well as play Magic and board games, so I expect him back eventually.  My older son (31 next week) is pretty committed.  His current painting project is Mayans (in 1/72 scale) as part of a Mayan/Aztec/Spanish matched opponent armies set for the compact battle game De Bellis Antiquitatis.  Here’s a workbench progress picture he sent last week:

1F988047-AC09-4B1C-AACD-582740F7F5F8.jpeg.77a16023d37799801ed688b9f4d91234.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

Okay, it’s a day late, but I made my Chinese food.    Pork lo Mein stir fry   Chicken and broccoli (since I didn’t have any beef)   I’m stuffed!

I'm trying to slog through my Reaper Challenge League entries, but I haven't been well the last week (thankfully not that, don't worry, I've been tested) so my hands were a 'tiny' bit shaky and I ende

Posted Images

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Monday, February 15: Have you ever brought someone new into the hobby, who, and how did it go?
(Sorry about the lack of a Weekend question; I often have trouble remembering to go on the internet on the weekends.)

None that I can claim. I tried for years to get my older brother to take an interest, but he resisted. Then in late 2019 when some of his friends started getting into it he bought some minis and went to a paint session with them. I got to paint once with him, showing him how to get a smooth basecoat, and was trying to organize a paint session with his friends to teach them some basics, but then the pandemic hit.

He's doesn't have any of his own paints, he hasn't fully drank the Kool-aid yet, but I have a set of brushes that keep separate for him to use, when the opportunity arises again.

• Like 6

I have a couple friends with whom I’ve shared my hobby that subsequently wanted to join it themselves. I’m not sure how that went, because I’ve lost touch with them, though.

• Like 7

Gaming, oh yeah, tons. And many of them have stuck with it for years.

Mini painting, fewer. My cousins have gone in and out of the hobby a couple of times, as their lives have allowed.

• Like 7

My wife.  She's painted a few minis and will play Legion with me some, but she has a lot of hobbies and I don't think minis would rank near the top in them. Although she has gotten fairly possessive of my Rebel troops for Legion...I bought a guy's collection who was getting out the of game last week and she was eager to know what new troops SHE was getting ::D:

And I've been working at getting a friend back into minis. He's the one who got me into minis bac kin the 90s when he ran a game store.  He's now a teacher up north.  He'd tried a few times but was having trouble getting motivated to paint since he didn't have anyone to play with (he's a gamer first).  I'd send him pictures of what I was painting.  The pics of Star Wars Legion got him interested as one of the other teachers there is very into SW, so  he got the starter and they've played a couple of times.  I have a box of extra Legion stuff (things I can't use from the collection I bought) that I'm mailing up to him this week to give them some more troops to work with.

I also got him into 3D printing.  I sent him some tanks I'd printed on my Mars last summer, and that convinced him to get one of his own///

• Like 6
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Nope.

Whenever I've shown what I've painted to friends or family, there's the usual polite comments but very little actual interest.

• Like 6

There's this guy who lives with me named Milo who thinks the whole hobby is great. He loves paints and to play with the little toys, especially at night when he thinks no one will notice. Introducing him to the hobby has been mostly negative. He steals the minis. I've even found one wedged in the bottom of the toilet. He also walks through the paints and there are now troll slayer orange footprints on the linoleum. He won't sit down to play a proper game, either, but sits in the middle of the table. I tried using him as a dragon proxy, but he won't go for that, either. I tried to include a photo of my gaming "partner". 

<spolier> He's a cat. </spolier> 

I'm trying valiantly. I agree with Glitterwolf; my friends think it's neat, but no one has ever sat down to play a game. Everyone who has ever come to my house has been exposed--the whole house is a shrine to my hobby. Mom thinks because I like to paint minis I should want to paint the garage. The church normally has a creche display in December open to the public, so I want to do the Reaper deluxe nativity and display it. I think it's like model trains. Calgary normally has a huge model train show called Supertrain in march (boy do I miss it). Thousands of people come and admire it, and they say "Wow, I wish I had the time/money/talent/space to do something like that."

Edited by Great Khan Artist
  • Like 8

I've managed to drag a few folks into the gaming hobby, but never gotten anyone interested in painting miniatures. My wife gave it a shot one time and her figure, an old Ral Partha ghost, turned out really good. But since then she hasn't shown any interest in painting. 

• Like 6

When my friends first opened their FLGS, I used to bring my painting stuff to the store and show them how to do it. Even her husband got into assembling and painting once 40K and Blood Bowl hit the shelves, and I got a lot of people hooked on the hobby. The wife got into buying all the paints and minis and dabbled with them every day and is now a commissioned painter, though she doesn't have much time for it right now ever since she got into geckomageddon.

• Like 5
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Gaming, rpgs definitely! One of my favorite things about running games at the FLGS is getting new blood into the hobby.

Mini painting, I've gotten a few people in it but not as many as rpgs. My players do use/buy more minis for the characters these days at least.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I myself am practically new to the hobby, so I haven't had the opportunity.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Arguably I've brought my husband in.  He does paint, although not as much as I would have hoped... Part of that is he tends to prefer larger things, and another part is he's deathly afraid of making any kind of mistake. 

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I assumed you were either fighting off the sasquatch / yeti, or more likely...  Having warm beverages together while reading a book, because even they go "nope, screw that weather, too cold and annoying to deal with"... 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I gave a nephew some dice for D&D after I learned he had tried it once while he was away at college, but as far as I know he didn't stick with it.

No one looks to me for recommendations and suggestions anyway. My Operating mode is much more: to look before others leap, and learn from their injuries.

7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Did we miss a Weekend Question?

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I meant to check, but I just went down and out early on Friday and forgot to look — not that I really had a good backup question.

It was a missed opportunity to grouse about commercialized holidays based on catholic saints or chocolates or All Things Pink and Heartshaped.  Ah well.  Alas. (?)

Edited by TGP
  • Like 6
2 hours ago, Brother Jim said:

I am unsure what geckomageddon means, even after Googling it.

But I would like to know more!

Basically she's gotten into breeding geckos, and has gotten 15 of them in a few short months (though not all of them were her doing). She's been busy building habitats for them at the moment.

• Like 6