Getting to Know You, February 2021

5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION Feb. 2nd. is brought to you by WOOF.

We deny having taken Talespinner hostage so we could post a question...

What is the most dangerous animal that lives in the Wild in your area and did you ever meet it?

It's a tie between these two.

Both in my area.

The Hawk is one I meet quite often.

Maybe not too dangerous, but not entirely harmless, especially when nesting they will attack you to make you leave.

Never met the Badger, but he lives nearby.

image.png.b4648f9a59984bb7676335bab5d981a0.pngimage.png.d8259d280265cbbbb1bd5332e4b66a41.png

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 9
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

Okay, it’s a day late, but I made my Chinese food.    Pork lo Mein stir fry   Chicken and broccoli (since I didn’t have any beef)   I’m stuffed!

I'm trying to slog through my Reaper Challenge League entries, but I haven't been well the last week (thankfully not that, don't worry, I've been tested) so my hands were a 'tiny' bit shaky and I ende

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

What is the most dangerous animal that lives in the Wild in your area and did you ever meet it?

group-portrait-of-a-creative-business-te

& unfortunately yes, I've met it. Some aren't bad, but most of them I could do with out......:rock:

If we are going to talk about furry, feathered or scaly kind, then I know a couple years ago, I got off work around 430 in the morning on a Monday & locked the door behind me & turned & in the aura of a street light I saw something that was resembled a badger just walking down the road, I needed to go down to get home (I walk to & from work). Whatever it was, I just let it go about it's way & I waited there in front of the store for a good 20 mins or so.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

The Buzzard is one I meet quite often.

Maybe not too dangerous, but not entirely harmless, especially when nesting they will attack you to make you leave

1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

image.png.b4648f9a59984bb7676335bab5d981a0.png

That is a hawk.  A Buzzard is a carrion eater and not too dangerous.

For me I would go with people with dogs a close second.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, ttuckerman said:

That is a hawk.  A Buzzard is a carrion eater and not too dangerous.

For me I would go with people with dogs a close second.

Thanks,

In Dutch we call it a Buizerd and when translated it showd buzzard instead of hawk.

• Like 5
5 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

If we're talking close by where I live then it's just junkies, crazy homeless guys self treating with alcohol, and assorted tweakers. But that's not very interesting.

So instead let me define my "area" as my entire state. Because in normal times I work across the whole state. In that situation I'd say the most dangerous animals are either Copperhead snakes or Timber Rattlers in the southern part of the state. I run into these beasties about once a year and while they can be lethal if you get bitten and don't get treatment, they're usually quite happy to just get away from you if you give them room. The biggest risk is not paying attention to where you're walking and surprising one. Outside of that we have plenty of coyote, angry male deer in the fall and even the occasional black bear in a couple of areas. Seen all of them pretty up close as well. Fun story, there's a very small population of black bear on a large, restricted national guard training base. The base is an area of undisturbed forest so you never really see them. Unless an intern leaves your car door open and food in your car. Then one of them likes to climb into your car and won't leave no matter how many people are outside yelling to try and get it to move. Not necessarily dangerous unless you're dumb enough to try and drag it out by hand, but can cause your motor pool guy to quit giving you nice vehicles when they get their shiny new car back with the back seat covered in bear stink.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Every so often we have visits from cougars/pumas. I have not met one...fortunately.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 2/1/2021 at 8:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 1: Do you feed/attract any wildlife.  If so, what do you feed and what is attracted to it? 

(Pictures are not required but would be awesome!)

No, we live in a cookie cutter neighborhood. We've been saving up since we got the house last summer, though. I've got an arborist planting two red oaks (native, roost for birds and squirrels, nuts for squirrels) and a yaupon (native, holly berries for birds) in a couple weeks, I'm letting the weeds do what they want, and I'll hopefully have the energy to plant some native wildflower seeds for the front bed. I doubt I'll have enough energy for any wild grasses for the back. Our area is getting more difficult and fragmented for wildlife, but I'll do what I can.

Which makes mean humans the worst, of course. :P

--

I don't attract any wildlife, but I do love waking up early (only when camping!!) to watch the birds and deer monch on breakfast and visit the lake. They usually don't notice me until it gets light enough to see me clearly.

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 2

I'm excluding humans, cause of course they win.

If I'm driving, not much more dangerous that a moose.  This province has spent what I'm sure is a crazy amount to put moose fencing along the most prevalent parts of the highways to help avoid collisions.

Deer are bad to hit, but usually just end up with "Man, I hit a deer and have X,000 in damages to the car".  Moose, if you are lucky, it is a call about how long you'll be in the hospital.

I've seen them while driving when we visited Newfoundland, and I've seen them in the distance while driving here, but luckily never near the road.

If not in a car, black bears are rather large and scary.  Luckily they usually leave humans alone.  At least they are smaller than grizzlies.   I haven't seen any since we've moved, but at the old house we had one that would trash our composter every so often.

And from the air, bald eagles have made a very strong comeback in the Maritimes.  When I was kind they were fairly rare, but conservation efforts have worked well and they are a fairly common sight to see these days.

The closest I've been to one was maybe 10 feet away, and that was certainly close enough.  We going to the in-laws cottage and there was one on the road in, and he wouldn't leave for quite a while.  Standing he was at least 3 feet tall, and those talons were huge.  We worried he was injured but couldn't see anything.  My wife called the local conservation office and left a message but no one ever showed up and he eventually left when we weren't looking.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

I’m not really sure what all is in this area. I know there’s hawks and rattlesnakes. I’ve seen the hawks flying around, thankfully have not seen any snakes, but there’s ordinances that folks have to follow to prevent snake habitat in the city. I’m pretty sure there’s also coyotes.

The most dangerous feline I’ve seen was a HUUUUUGE tomcat wandering around. I dunno about actual mountain lions. 

Soooooo, yeah, I’m gonna go with drivers of BSTs (Big Stupid Trucks). They can’t park in one spot, their headlights blind everyone, they drive like idiots on snowy roads. Yeah, definitely the most dangerous.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Out of town drivers and/or the cops.

I avoid both as best I can.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Since I don't keep bees, I'd have to say it's probably a coyote. More a danger to the poor feral kitties than me. If we're talking a bit bigger range, it's the black bear. They do very rarely come down this far, but I haven't seen one since moving into the city proper.

In my old house on the hill, I'd see black bear on the regular, really nice little dudes. I grew up hanging out in the Adirondacks, so black bear were always just a thing you'd come across in the woods. Some basic safety steps and they aren't a problem (more a nuisance for garbage and whatnot, than any danger to me).

At one point I lived by a petting zoo (mentioned in the previous 'stupid things to impress' entry), they had a lion that escaped into the woods behind out house. Luckily, there were hundreds of square miles of woods and I never saw it, but I did hear it roar a few times. We could hear it roar in its cage from our house sometimes when the wind was right, that was pretty wild.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Coyotes nowadays. Back in the past they were pretty cowardly and harmless, but they started interbreeding with wolves in the north and pushed southwards into the prairies. 20 years ago you never heard anything about them, but now they attack livestock on a regular occurrence which is a major loss to farmers. The province have classified the coyotes as vermin, which means they're to be shot on sight.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

My state has a heck of a lot of dangerous animals.

Unfortunately, they're all on the other side of the state.

So, while I would like to, I can't act all casual about there being rattlesnakes tarantulas and dragons and glitterwerewolves.

But we do have coyotes and badgers and bears. And the demon vampire bugs. But I'm pretty sure those aren't special to my area.

Did I ever meet it? Not really. Back when I lived in the country (*Insert nostalgic sigh*you could hear the coyotes howl off in the distance. But other than that, sadly not really.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

The most obvious most dangerous animal in my area that I've encountered are MOOSE.

It's not uncommon to see moose walk near or on the road, and they're huge enough to cause serious damage, especially at normal driving speeds. If I see one, I slow down and drive around it, giving it a wide berth.

For the rest of wildlife I've crossed paths with in my area: lynx; foxes (the cuties hung around our workplace), grouses (really dumb birds that get hit by cars all the time in winter); weasel (with it's winter white coat, somehow got inside our 2nd floor office).

I know we have black bears and coyotes, but I've never seen one in the three years I've been living here.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

We have cougars and bears out here. I have been lucky enough to never having met them.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1