Getting to Know You, February 2021

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, February 18: You have to sing karaoke, what song do you pick?

0-1 beers: play it safe level so Mustang Sally or Magic Carpet Ride

2-4 beers: feeling bolder/looser level thus Start Me Up (with Mick Jagger moves), Jump (with David Lee Roth kicks)

5+ beers: Louie Louie (lyrics are very conducive to drunk slurring), Total Eclipse of the Heart (too many beers can lead to the sad/crying karaoke)

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

*cracks knuckles* My best friend and I used to tear up the karaoke joints in our youth. For my selection, I will choose Secret Agent Man.......but the lyrics will actually be Secret Agent Mage. :devil:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

If I'm singing karaoke, I'll want to sing something with some class and dignity. Something more "up there". Something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ocykBzWDiM

(That's clearly a joke. But I could sing it, if I had to.)

• Haha 9

My brain does not index songs by their titles, so if the machine showed me a list of titles, I would be clueless. The last time there was a "…what song…?" question @Glitterwolf wanted to know about fight songs; it took me ages to locate something suitable:

So I will pay the barkeep to play my fight song ( LOUDLY )* over the bar's sound system, while I slowly stump my way up to the karaoke mike, then when I get there, I will use my cane to disassemble the karaoke machine by smashing it to bits.

While this playsAs played by the Band of the Coldstream Guards; *Full Volume is Mandatory 

"You have to sing karaoke"?!!

#thems-fightin-words

#performanceart

• Haha 8

Depends on how my voice is feeling that day.  If I'm feeling up to pushing my range up, I might go with "Man of Constant Sorrow"; otherwise I'll keep it low with "Change on the Rise" or "Sixteen Tons".

Ok 16 tons is a great choice. 

I actually can sing that.

reminds me of the last time I saw grandma before she died. my sister, my parents and I were at the nursing home while they were having some sort of sing along. It was all stuff I'd never heard before, and I'm a terrible singer to begin with. My sister was surprised when I could sing one of these correctly. "how the (bleep) do you know how to sing that" "well it has the same music as 16 tons"

Edited by Werkrobotwerk
  • Like 6
7 hours ago, Werkrobotwerk said:

they mostly consist of hitting the machine with the mic stand until the magic smoke comes out

Several years ago (about 30) we were doing an all day gaming session.  One of my friends brought his young son.  While we were playing started to play a video game.  We did not notice he was gone so long until it was time to eat.  He came down and said the console had stopped working and some came out.  The owner of the system said "You let the some out?  Don't you know that they run on smoke?"  That young son now owns several computer companies and has sold many many more.  

• Haha 11
10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Expect cartoon and anime theme songs. Lots of them. In English, Japanese and French.

I'll come in extra hydrated to make sure this 49 year old man using his anime girl singing voice lasts a long time.

• Haha 11
On 2/17/2021 at 6:29 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Wednesday, February 17: How early do you submit your Taxes*; if you are not in the US, how does your country handle the collection of income taxes (or do they even have them)?

* In the US Tax deadline is April 15, but we can submit as early as January.

In March or so.  I aim to break even so I usually have neither a large refund nor a large payment to make.  Thus I am never in any hurry.

13 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

When an establishment breaks out the karaoke equipment, I leave before they even finish setting up.  Were I somehow trapped in a building with such a thing I would be forced to destroy it before anyone can attempt to sing. Thus no one would have to pick a song.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

You'd have to get me in there first...

If no alternative of escape presented itself then Creep would be my first option failing that I believe something by My Dying Bride ( like Catherine Blake) would have to be found

• Like 5