Getting to Know You, February 2021

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

*Haminister pulls Quisitor robes out of the closet, tears open the drycleaners plastic covering, shakes them out, and slips them on.*

Friday, February 19th Stand In Question: Reboots are all the rage. You're tasked with taking a show that ended it's run before 1980 and bringing it back. What show do you pick? Any major changes you'll make? Who's gonna star in it?

Hmm, hard to think of shows from that era that I've actually watched....

Let's go with Space: 1999.  I always like the Eagles.  Major changes: well, the title, since we'd need to bump it into the future again.  Space: 2099? (or would Marvel get cranky about that?). And it'd be nice if it at least played along loosely with the laws of physics, which the original sure didn't.  Malcolm Reynolds Nathan Fillion would be my choice for John Koenig....might as well make it easy and use the remaining cast of Firefly for most of the rest of the roles.  Bo-Katan Starbuck Katee Sackhoff would be a fine addition....as would Amos Wes Chatham.  And hopefully created by the folks who do The Expanse.

BTW, if you want to watch some really.....dated Sci-Fi, the first season just popped up on Prime.  I might need to watch some now.....

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

Okay, it’s a day late, but I made my Chinese food.    Pork lo Mein stir fry   Chicken and broccoli (since I didn’t have any beef)   I’m stuffed!

I'm trying to slog through my Reaper Challenge League entries, but I haven't been well the last week (thankfully not that, don't worry, I've been tested) so my hands were a 'tiny' bit shaky and I ende

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Crowley said:

*Haminister pulls Quisitor robes out of the closet, tears open the drycleaners plastic covering, shakes them out, and slips them on.*

Friday, February 19th Stand In Question: Reboots are all the rage. You're tasked with taking a show that ended it's run before 1980 and bringing it back. What show do you pick? Any major changes you'll make? Who's gonna star in it?

I've only seen a few random episodes of pre-80s TV in reruns, so I have no real opinion.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Crowley said:

No specifics in mind but I'd love something like The Avengers or Blakes 7 remade with the sort of serialised story-telling and character development you get these days.

• Like 9
6 hours ago, Crowley said:

Star Trek the Animated Series.

Major Changes: the show will be set past the point where the animated series left off AND it will be about the rest of the Constitution Class. Lexington, Potemkin, Excalibur, **Exeter, all of them… The full potential of state-of-the-art animation techniques will be employed. Admirals will not be stuck at starbases so often, sometimes they'll be on the move in their triple nacelle, dreadnaught-flagships.

Stars: With so many different ***ships: a large ensemble of voice actors will be used. We'll see if we can get James Earl Jones to voice an admiral: Admiral Redav

**Exeter's episode will be titled Ghost Ship and it will be about the efforts to recover it (when last we saw it the crew was all dead, turned to rock salt, it was unsafe to board, and a derelict…)

***The new show might mention Enterprise but will never feature her. The show will be about the other ships in the class and their various crews. Excalibur will get a mostly British crew of voice actors when it is re-crewed after The M5 Incident. Ships known to be lost from previous canon will not feature (Defiant, Constellation…)

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, VitM said:

I'd pick I Dream of Jeanie.  I don't really have anyone particular in mind to star in it (though Jeanie wouldn't be blonde in this version), but I'd reboot it as a cosmic horror/comedy urban fantasy.  Uncovered during an archaeological excavation, Jeanie discovers a world where the ancient magical defenses are crumbling or disappearing.  So it falls to her to defend us from the eldritch horrors beyond the stars while recruiting allies, repairing the wards, and keeping it all secret (to keep the inevitable cultist populations to a manageable level).

I was thinking something similar. In my version, instead of being a blonde bombshell, Jeanie would be a genuine middle-eastern bombshell.

The show would be a huge opportunity to include middle-eastern cultural references and tidbits of classical literature like One Thousand and One Nights. And you'd have Jeanie slowly go from a 2000 year old servant/slave mindset to a modern emancipated 21st century woman.

Friends/relatives one both sides will of course disapprove of many decisions; hijinx ensues.

• Like 11
7 hours ago, Crowley said:

I'm not generally a fan of reboots, too many of them have been garbage, IMO.

That said, there have been some interesting choices mentioned so far.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, Crowley said:

Obviously I'd get Reboot, uh, rebooted.  Curious as to how such a story (and not the atrocity "inspired by" Reboot that's on Netflix, gawds that was complete and utter trash) would be with modern graphics and physics.

I don't care that it isn't from the '80's, Megabyte was awesome, as was Hexadecimal.

• Like 6
On 2/18/2021 at 7:11 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, February 18: You have to sing karaoke, what song do you pick?

Kate Bush's "Experiment IV"

"They told us all they wanted was a sound that could kill someone."  Well, that's what you get when I sing.

Oh, you want a happier song?  They Might Be Giants, "Birdhouse in Your Soul"

A song that got radio play?  Fine...  Collective Soul, "December"

For the curious, I proved I could sing all of the lyrics to "Chance" by Savatage, although my timing needs a little work.  (If you haven't heard it, go take a listen.)

13 hours ago, Crowley said:

Blake's 7, hands down.

I have no idea who I'd want to direct it or act in it.  For writing, I'd give right of first refusal to J. Michael Straczynski (JMS).

Fun fact time: At least as of 2000 (and possibly still), JMS held the record for most consecutive episodes of a television series written by the same person (in his case, Babylon 5).  The prior record holder was Terry Nation, for his work on Blake's 7.

If I can't get Blake's 7 rebooted, can I please get some sort of release in the US market?  Please?

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, Crowley said:

Bonanza! But! Flip the script, since most westerns were inspired by samurai films, make it about samurai again!

(I actually have no idea what Bonanza was about, I’ve never seen it, I’m just thinking of the weirdest thing I can)

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Weekend, February 20-21: If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?

(Sorry about yesterday; we had a last minute change in plans, and I had to help a family member with some urgent medical issues all day.)

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Weekend, February 20-21: If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?

The Dark Arts

Necromancy

Playing the stock market. I wish I could understand it, get rich and be independent for the rest of my life..

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

(Sorry about yesterday; we had a last minute change in plans, and I had to help a family member with some urgent medical issues all day.)

The stock market

Edited by Smallbunyanga
  • Like 8

Can't think of anything that I would want to be an expert in that I am not already.

• Haha 10

This requires more thought than you'd expect. Many experts produce things that require a lot of time investment.

We all know that our favorite artists can spend many hours, days even, on a single piece. And master chefs can slave away all day in the kitchen for a meal consumed in 20 minutes. Besides, my poor sense of taste and smell would make most of my efforts wasted.

Stock market? No thanks. To be successful there requires working it full time I'd rather spend elsewhere.

I think I'd like to be a better public communicator. Be it through speech or the written word. I always struggle to say or quickly write anything coherent. I do get there, but my thought process has so much information it wants to share at the same time that it comes out as a jumble of words. And by the time I do gather my thoughts, the conversation has moved on to something else. I do well on one-on-one, but the larger the group, the more quiet I become.

• Like 9