TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, February 2021

28 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 23: Of all the places you’ve traveled, what was your favorite? (If you have never traveled away from home, where would you most like to go?)

Disney World 

Wyoming

Key West

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 23: Of all the places you’ve traveled, what was your favorite? (If you have never traveled away from home, where would you most like to go?)

Montreal, as that's the only place I've gone that's let me play with F1 cars ::D: (I have a list of tracks I'd like to "visit" to marshal, but for now those are just plans).

For just normal vacationing, Honolulu was nice, but it was a long time ago that I was there (they were still filming the original Magnum....).

Ireland (the ancestral homeland) tops the list of places to visit that aren't for F1. (mind you I know some awesome marshals from Ireland and they have some excellent bike races there....).

• Like 8

43 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Maui, went there first on our Honeymoon.  Nice weather, good snorkeling and friendly people.

• Like 9

55 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Canoeing the Apostle Island National Lakeshore again would probably be the top of my list. Quiet, beautiful, very few people, and has some of the most unspoiled islands I've ever been on. You can canoe or kayak right over top of some sunken vessels and the water is so clear you can see every detail. There's patches of woods up there that may have never seen a logger. It's one of only a few places I've ever found bio luminescent fungus. It's been since the early 90's since I was last there though. Back then you weren't allowed anywhere near the islands with power boats.The only motorized boats were research and national park vessels. That may have changed in the intervening years. Hopefully not though, that would really kill the charm of this place.

Outside of that I'd really enjoy going back to either Olympic or Rocky National Parks. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

Right now it's Denton TX, but that because it's been 2 years & I really wanna see fellow gamer/hobbyists again!! :lol:

Thou I'd really say back over to the Oregon Coast/Eugene. Almost anywhere on the western side of the state. If we weren't so tied down to this side of the state, I (we'd) move over to that side. Some day.

As far as places I'd like to go, but never have; most likely Australia or New Zealand. Couple of places I've wanted to visit since I was younger.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

`                       

Three stand out:  Each at a different period in my life. 

The castles of Wales  - in the 6th grade.  2 weeks in united Kingdom,  7 castles engraved in my memory, and others that were forgettable.

Rome -  for my honeymoon. So much history, architecture and religion crammed into such a small area.  + a colosseum that smelled like piss. 

(does it always smell that bad?  it was summer when I went) 

Belize - 20th wedding anniversary.   Every time I would think this is the most beautiful  thing I had ever seen, something even more beautiful was right around the corner. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I live just south of the Adirondack Park, and it's my favorite place, especially the less-traveled parts (ie: no humans). I'm sad we lost our family cabin, I  would've happily retired there (even with no power or running water, though I'd likely install solar now!).

I've traveled a bit in my life but I've never found a place I like better. In fact, most places just make me wish I was in the depths of the park (for those of you not familiar, the park is roughly 1/4 of the entire state of NY).

If I would be able to relocate in retirement (maybe another question? heh), I'd find a place that is similar, but believed in social health services. It's hard living amongst sheep in wolves' clothing.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Canoeing the Apostle Island National Lakeshore again would probably be the top of my list. Quiet, beautiful, very few people, and has some of the most unspoiled islands I've ever been on. You can canoe or kayak right over top of some sunken vessels and the water is so clear you can see every detail. There's patches of woods up there that may have never seen a logger. It's one of only a few places I've ever found bio luminescent fungus. It's been since the early 90's since I was last there though. Back then you weren't allowed anywhere near the islands with power boats.The only motorized boats were research and national park vessels. That may have changed in the intervening years. Hopefully not though, that would really kill the charm of this place.

Outside of that I'd really enjoy going back to either Olympic or Rocky National Parks. 

I had to look this up. What an amazing place. Kind of makes me wish I lived in Ontario so I could visit it. 

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I dream of going to the Pacific islands. Like Moana, the wind and the waves they call me. I will make it to New Zealand some day. 

Urban locations: I loved the greater Boston area. I could live there. I'd also really like to go to DC. I'm not really into American colonial history, but the Smithsonian looks like a place I could take up residence. 

Non urban locations: The Sunshine Coast was a surprise. We were supposed to tour Vancouver, but it turns out I hate Vancouver. I worked in Chetwynd one summer and it was a really neat village. It's super beautiful and they have a chainsaw carving competition. Most of the places in this category are local, because I have very strong memories attached to them. There's a slough down the road I love to swim in (it's sandy and not weedy, so more like a lake). The one in my yard is more swampy and I love it. In the spring there are frogs and so many birds. There are also rivers I've had grand adventures on and like everyone else, I'd love to canoe the Nahanni. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Kauai, Hawaii

Assisi, Italy

The Green Mountains, VT

• Like 9

3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 23: Of all the places you’ve traveled, what was your favorite?

Hmmm, a part of me misses Berlin, where I spent a couple years. It's location was nice, accessible to all the other parts of Europe. Like a lot of cities, it had a nice cultural blending that gave good food. I liked going to the market every couple days. I felt safer than in an American city, and the public transportation was clean and efficient.

But as far as one that I only visited, I would have to concur with @TaleSpinner and say Ireland. I went there in spring one year and it was SOOOO green. Food was good, the people were friendly, I heard "Whiskey in the Jar" sang in every pub we stopped in.

• Like 8

49 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

But as far as one that I only visited, I would have to concur with @TaleSpinner and say Ireland. I went there in spring one year and it was SOOOO green. Food was good, the people were friendly, I heard "Whiskey in the Jar" sang in every pub we stopped in.

I REALLY miss Irish pubs!  I have gone to many, many so called Irish pubs in the US and have yet to find one that had the same feel and comfort of the ones in Ireland.  I especially loved the pubs in Doolin and the other west coast towns, where the people treated us like they'd known us all our lives.  The food and music were magical.  I can readily believe that those folk have Fae blood in them.  I could retire there happily.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My wife and I went to Calgary for Fan Expo for our honeymoon (which was 2 weeks before our wedding, we never did things traditionally). The Expo is something I'd like to go to again once it exists and I can afford to, though it's an experience you need to share with another.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Iceland is without a doubt my all-time favorite. That place is heaven on earth, it's so beautiful.

No offense to the GC, but in my opinion the Grand Canyon actually was disappointing compared to it. That's just how stunning it was.

• Like 10