TaleSpinner

Getting to Know You, February 2021

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 23: Of all the places you’ve traveled, what was your favorite? (If you have never traveled away from home, where would you most like to go?)

Hmmmm, that's a tough question.  I'd definitely love to visit New Zealand again especially WITHOUT my parents but definitely with hubby, but this time spend like two or three months there.  And no, I wouldn't be going to the shire, why is that literally the first thing soooo many people ask?  It's a gorgeous country with TONS of history, culture, and things to see, yet people only seem to want to go to that.  I want to go to Cape Reinga again, and hopefully actually get to see the beautiful coast this time (we got horizontal rain, and a ton of fog - our bus guide refused to leave the bus, claiming he preferred staying dry, lol).  I want to see poi while eating a delicious meal.  And since my parents have no say, I want to go bungee jumping as well as jet boating (not at the same time, although it would look neat in an action movie) on the south island....  Oh yeah, and freshly picked Gala apples are absolutely delicious in New Zealand.

As for places I've not been, I did have an opportunity to go to Ireland for two weeks with my parents, but that would have meant being away from hubby for two weeks, and being around parents who'd drive me outright bonkers in short order, ~and~ I wouldn't get to really spend all that much time doing what ~I~ want to do.  Sure, they went and saw a lot of things, but a good part of the motivation behind that trip was mom wanting to research more on the family history.  If I'm going to a country, I want to see ~them~ and ~their~ culture, their places.  I also wouln't mind stopping in at a museum or two while I was there either, but especially a pub.  Or five.  Not because of the liquor, but because I want to actually experience pub food.  That and they know how to make shephard's pie up there....  But yeah, I'd love to visit Ireland...  Just on my own time, my own dime, and with my husband, while my parents are a full continent away.

I'd also absolutely love to visit the ruins of Tikal (as well as other cities/cultures in that area), but me and heat+humidity really don't get along all that well.

Japan is also high up on my list, arguably near the top.  I want to visit a lot of the older shrines, castles, and various locations.  Okay, I'll admit I also want to hit up the Gundam Base, as well as a day or three in Akihabara - there's some epic electronics and photography shops in those areas too... >.>;;;;

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 9

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 23: Of all the places you’ve traveled, what was your favorite? (If you have never traveled away from home, where would you most like to go?)

I haven’t travelled much, but I’ve loved all the places I’ve been. When I was about 8 my family moved from North Carolina to New Mexico (to aid with my mom’s research, she’s a cultural anthropologist). When we first got there we visited a number of pueblos, but I barely remember it. I’d love to visit those places again.

Of places I’ve never been, I’d particularly love to go to Ireland (seems to be popular here), Greece, Egypt, and India. All of those places have fascinated me since I was young, so going there would be amazing.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Loim said:

Two places I want to visit, but have not yet are Machu Picchu and Iceland

YES! YES! YES!

Good choices. Particularly, the one that, how should I say, has to do with ice.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

My visit to Ireland was the greatest trip of my life so far.  I had never traveled over seas before.  I got to visit for two weeks as part of a photography course in college.  Traveled all around the country and saw some amazing beautiful sights.  Also felt meaningful because my family originally left Ireland to escape the famine and that heritage was an important part of my childhood and upbringing.

Hoping to get back there one day.  Would love for my mother and partner to get a chance to visit with me.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 23: Of all the places you’ve traveled, what was your favorite?

I have not traveled very far.

Rochester, MN ……because Pannekoeken

St. Augustine, FL …….because Spanish Fort

Orlando, FL ….....because Disney World was alright

Carlsbad, NM …….because caves are cool

• Like 9

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Too hard to pick just one; I've enjoyed everywhere that I went in the Navy.

Places I didn't get to go that I'd like to: Australia and New Zealand.

10 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I think my favorite destination still is Greece ( the Islands) and in particular Rhodos.

I've been there! I thoroughly enjoyed my (too short) visit there.

• Like 8

Ireland has gotten quite a few votes, I am noticing.

As far as places I'd like to visit, I feel I need to visit both Scotland and Wales, due to family ties. And the Netherlands; I've been through Amsterdam's airport numerous times, all the people were friendly (the airport security personnel waaaay more friendly than our American TSA counterparts). I feel like I should also visit some part of Canada, being as how it is the nearest of all foreign countries to where I live. I had plans to go there once one a trip to Niagra Falls, but hernia surgery put the brakes on that plan.

• Like 9

14 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Honestly, I don't think I can come up with a satisfying answer.

I visited several countries, and as soon as I remember a place I liked, another one pops into my mind for another reason.

• China: Beijing, great wall, traveled part of it by train.
  • Mongolia: Ulaanbaatar, Gobi desert, crossed it by train
  • Russia: lake Baikal, Irkustk, Ekaterinburg, Moscow, St-Petersburg
  • France: lived there a year just south of Paris, visited most of it.
  • Spain: west coast beaches
  • Italy: Pisa, Florence, Venice
  • Switzerland: crossed it in a single day
  • Belgium: Brussels
  • Netherlands: Rotterdam, Amsterdam, even saw the great dikes
  • England: London, family even went to Stonehenge (yes, it's overhyped as a tourist destination)
  • Japan: Tokyo all the way south to Nagasaki (Mount Fuji, hot springs, tons of shrines and museums)
  • USA: east coast, Orlando (Disney World), Denton TX (wonder why).
  • Canada (aka home): Ontario, Quebec, New-Brunswick, Prince Edward Island, Nova Scotia, Newfoundland & Labrador.

But at the moment, I think I want to visit my bed for the night. It's the gateway to Dreamland. So many memories from that place.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Haha 11

On 2/23/2021 at 12:17 PM, TaleSpinner said:

St Kilda was amazing, totally worth the 5 hour boat trip. Totally lives up to its reputation of being at the edge of the world, but has a sad backstory.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Kilda,_Scotland

st-kilda.thumb.jpg.9149a1a50ef13a1201eef235cffd62eb.jpg

The standing stones at Callanish in Lewis were amazing.

callanish-standing-stones-lewis-scotland-heahter-k-jones.thumb.jpg.be974ba7bfdbc67fb2a3a66a4cd6bf2e.jpg

My favorite place in Europe was San Marino...

san-marino-europe.jpg.fdf18fa2f6a0242eae256cbdf289cc88.jpg

But most of all, I just want to go back home. It's been almost 2 years at this point and it's not looking great for this year either. I need to win the lottery so I can buy a plot of land and build an eco-house overlooking the sea, somewhere on this wee stretch of coast :wub:

_116763608_storr-gettyimages-899923720.jpg.ab42d5c15d450b23cf95a5495271a23d.jpg

11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Ireland I've seen, Scotland, Wales, and England are high on my list for places I want to go.  I want to go birding with @Kuroneko.

My birding name should be "5 minutes", because that's by how much time I miss all the really rare stuff! I'd love to go to Reapercon to get the chance to go birding with you too! 

You'd be amazed how many of my photos are taken in pretty much urban environments :poke: Which reminds me that I've got a bunch of photos from the last month that I haven't shared with the forum.....

Edited by Kuroneko
  • Like 13
  • Thanks 2

On 2/23/2021 at 7:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

It's hard to pick a favorite, as I've really loved everywhere I've been.  Looking forward to future travels though, some places we plan on visiting are Italy, India, and Iran (assuming the geopolitical situation stabilizes enough that I wouldn't wind up in a Persian prison). :lol:

• Like 8

On 2/23/2021 at 7:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

One place I forgot to mention, and I feel a fool for not thinking of it right away...

Denton, TX

• Like 7
  • Haha 4

*pulls robes hurriedly out of the dirty-ish laundry pile* 

Wednesday, February 24: Of all the places you've traveled, what was your least favorite? (and why?) Where is one place you have no interest in ever visiting?

• Like 5
  • Haha 5