Getting to Know You, February 2021

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

*pulls robes hurriedly out of the dirty-ish laundry pile* 

Wednesday, February 24: Of all the places you've traveled, what was your least favorite? (and why?) Where is one place you have no interest in ever visiting?

Discounting tiny towns in Nova Scotia that were visited for the kids hockey games (I'm looking at you there Canso...their Tim Horton's was even closed...I'm pretty sure that violates some Canadian law or another), I'm going to have to go with Edmonton as the worst I've visited (sorry).  That said, my entire visit was a really long bus ride there from Grand Prairie (My sister got married near there), a quick taxi from the bus depot to the hotel, where I basically just slept, got up early and took a shuttle to the airport and left, so it wasn't much of a visit.

Places I don't want to visit include most really hot and humid places.  There are lots of interesting things in these places I'd love to see, but I'd just melt.....maybe when I get older (and supposedly don't mind the heat so much).

• Like 9
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

Okay, it’s a day late, but I made my Chinese food.    Pork lo Mein stir fry   Chicken and broccoli (since I didn’t have any beef)   I’m stuffed!

I'm trying to slog through my Reaper Challenge League entries, but I haven't been well the last week (thankfully not that, don't worry, I've been tested) so my hands were a 'tiny' bit shaky and I ende

Posted Images

7 hours ago, Crowley said:

Wednesday, February 24: Of all the places you've traveled, what was your least favorite? (and why?) Where is one place you have no interest in ever visiting?

For least favorite, look at my previous list, and add the word "airport" to it. There are almost never any pleasant memories in airports. Always a lot of waiting and uncomfortable chairs, and it's nearly impossible to get some decent rest there while you are waiting.

Places I have no interest would be most hot and tropical destinations. I used to sweat a lot, so not a fan of the heat. I tolerate Denton because Reaper Con is indoors (I choose to forget the old Best Buy). Heck, southern Canada in July is too hot for me.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 9
7 hours ago, Crowley said:

This is actually a very difficult question. Of all the places I've been, there has always been some good things/experiences that outweigh (or at least balance) the bad. I honestly can't think of anywhere that I just all around hated.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Discounting tiny towns in Nova Scotia that were visited for the kids hockey games (I'm looking at you there Canso...their Tim Horton's was even closed...I'm pretty sure that violates some Canadian law or another), I'm going to have to go with Edmonton as the worst I've visited (sorry).  That said, my entire visit was a really long bus ride there from Grand Prairie (My sister got married near there), a quick taxi from the bus depot to the hotel, where I basically just slept, got up early and took a shuttle to the airport and left, so it wasn't much of a visit.

Don't be sorry, it's a terrible city that likes to puff itself up, claims to be better than Calgary, but gets sooooo many of the basics completely wrong.  Public transit is one of the big, big things they've completely failed at... 

They keep trying to push this whole revitalize downtown thing without bothering to realize that... Downtown sucks, and then there's all the extra problems within downtown. 

9 hours ago, Crowley said:

For where I've travelled, hmm, that's tough...  Oh yeah, California.  Sure, we got to see Knott's Berry Farm on the weekend the Supreme Scream opened, and Disneyland was a decent amount of fun as a group...  But...  That heat.  Oh gawds, the heat. 

One place I have no interest in visiting?  I want to say Russia, because of a few reasons, but actually I really really want to visit various cities there, because there's a ton of culture.  It suffers the same problem Egypt does - too risky to travel to.  Well, Egypt also has a stupid amount of heat to deal with too... 

One place I have no interest at all in visiting?  Truthfully, nothing really comes to mind. 

• Like 6

On 2/20/2021 at 5:24 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Weekend, February 20-21: If you could instantly become an expert in something, what would it be?

(Sorry about yesterday; we had a last minute change in plans, and I had to help a family member with some urgent medical issues all day.)

Being nice to myself.

On 2/22/2021 at 6:36 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Monday, February 22: What is your cellphone wallpaper?

Home screen: A photo of my sister and myself wearing matching shirts. I miss her and love her with my whole heart, and I pray for my siblings often.

Lock screen: Clover in my backyard, testing my camera phone.

clover.thumb.png.9104a965391f68731240ed0d226a625e.png

On 2/23/2021 at 6:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

Tuesday, February 23: Of all the places you’ve traveled, what was your favorite? (If you have never traveled away from home, where would you most like to go?)

There are too many places I'd love to visit. If nature has been preserved and the people are nice, I want to go there. <3

Ireland and Scotland are high on that list, of course. Beech forests in Germany! Anywhere with incredible food.

Alaska was incredibly beautiful; I'd love to stay there but my body wouldn't be able to handle that level of cold.

10 hours ago, Crowley said:

A popular destination point for cruise lines in Central America. There was trash everywhere and I watched the water change from beautiful shades of blue to murky gray. I did not leave the ship and cried instead.

Any large, busy cities like NYC or Vegas would be far too overwhelming for me. I don't even drive in my own city. It would have to have something truly incredible to get me to go somewhere busy like that. :lol:

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Crowley said:

I'll never know why anyone would travel from Australia to visit the Calgary Stampede. I wouldn't travel from Edmonton to see it. We recently found out my coworker has never been. I said we'd take him, but he would be disappointed. It's just a big county fair, and a lot of the local stuff is gone. I used to love Richard's Racers, they had pigs with pinnies on them and they raced around a little track; they're gone. When I was eight, I got to go on stage with the magician. Most of the act consisted of embarassing me. I almost cried. I don't think the heavy haulers are there any more either. I liked those gentle equine giants. Because of the crowds, asphalt and open space, it's always stupidly hot.  

Osoyoos is not my favorite place to visit, either. It's supposedly Canada's only hot desert, and it is hot! there in the summer. They have great fruit, but everything is so dead. 

I have no interest in ever going to Paris, France. It just doesn't appeal to me. The catacombs would be cool, but they have those in Germany. Venice was the same, until I learned you can kayak on the canals. 

7 hours ago, redambrosia said:

A grasshopper infested McDonald’s in the middle of nowhere between Sacramento and LA. Grasshoppers everywhere. Ick!

So that's what makes the chicken tenders so tender!

Edited by Great Khan Artist
  • Haha 7
1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Any large, busy cities like NYC or Vegas would be far too overwhelming for me. I don't even drive in my own city. It would have to have something truly incredible to get me to go somewhere busy like that. :lol:

At least for NYC, I recommend that no one drive here. Take the train or a bus into the city, then use the subway to get around. Or walk.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, WhiteWulfe said:

One place I have no interest in visiting?  I want to say Russia, because of a few reasons, but actually I really really want to visit various cities there, because there's a ton of culture.

I visited Russia, and it was an amazing trip. Then again, we had an amazing tour guide, and this was a year or two before the Sochi winter Olympics and Putin stopping to pretend he was nice, so the whole country was still somewhat accessible.

If you ever do get to visit, Saint Petersburg has a very different vibe than Moscow. Open minded port city used to foreigners versus the more conservative heart of the country. But both are as amazing to visit. Best wait for a post-Putin era and see what it becomes first.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I visited California, and while some parts of it were quite amazing up in the mountains and the Mojave, overall the whole experience was not a good one. I would like to drive the coast highway sometime, but I won't ever go back to a California city if I can avoid it.

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Crowley said:

I have to admit, I don't think I have a least favorite place. I'm not one to say I'm a traveler, but I do like getting out of this town. I try to treasure each place I visit & just tell myself, I'm not home. I'm not saying Ontario is the worst place to live, just there isn't anything here compared to other places, comparable in size & such.

• Like 7

The Dawning of Spring.  

That answer may sound weird, but there is a particular smell we get when the snow finally melts away and the plants just start to blush with green.  I cannot quite describe it and it only lasts for a couple days each year, but I love it.  It marks the end of winter every year.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, February 25: What’s your favorite scent?

Possibly the smell of rain as it hits pavement, aka "petrichor".

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1