Getting to Know You, February 2021

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Thursday, February 25: What’s your favorite scent?

My husband. Big, big, hugs and he just smells comfortable and warm. I can feel my shoulders dropping from ear height thinking about a nice hug haha.

Rain, ocean, and lumber aisles (That can be a forest or a store :lol:) are strong favorites too!

Unfortunately, those are all impossible options for candles. Goodness, do some "natural" scents smell terrible in candle form.

• Like 11
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

Okay, it’s a day late, but I made my Chinese food.    Pork lo Mein stir fry   Chicken and broccoli (since I didn’t have any beef)   I’m stuffed!

I'm trying to slog through my Reaper Challenge League entries, but I haven't been well the last week (thankfully not that, don't worry, I've been tested) so my hands were a 'tiny' bit shaky and I ende

Posted Images

47 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

My husband. Big, big, hugs and he just smells comfortable and warm. I can feel my shoulders dropping from ear height thinking about a nice hug haha.

Rain, ocean, and lumber aisles (That can be a forest or a store :lol:) are strong favorites too!

Unfortunately, those are all impossible options for candles. Goodness, do some "natural" scents smell terrible in candle form.

Just get a rough cedar board, small scrap is fine.  Keep it where you want that scent.  When the scent fades, whittle a few strips off of it with a sharp knife and the scent will fill the room again.  Chips you whittle off make good fire starters when camping or in a charcoal grill for adding smoke flavor.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1
54 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Yah one of the reason I liked going into Home Depot!! (well beside the fact that store is one big wish catalog for my wife & I....).

• Haha 10
1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Ah, but they are good options for incense.  Search for "7 Scent Sampler Natural Wood " online.  Nice woodsy smells there, some are pretty intense. 

• Like 7
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

That's.... A hard one to place, to say the least.  If we go with essential oils, it's lime.  I hate shaving, but boy is it a lot better when I'm using my Castle Forbes Lime shave soap/cream. 

If we were to go with overall scents.... Rrrf, I think I'll go with a properly made chai latte! 

• Like 8
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I love the smell of a crisp, cold autumn day.  Like when you can smell frost in the air and the smoke from wood fires.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Good question! I approve!

I have three.

1. The smell of freshly cut grass. Not only is it a nice smell, but it means you're done cutting the lawn.

2. Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

3. Cow manure.

No, I'm serious. Growing up a farm, that was the primary smell in the air. Now, for me, it's nostalgic and reminiscent of days gone by.

Plus, when driving through the country, I can roll down my window and smell the breeze. Most other people in the car, how should I say, "don't appreciate that". :devil:

• Like 12

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

So many scents are pleasant, often food, a particular cuisine, or some location with natural smells (forest, seashore).

2 hours ago, VitM said:

I love the smell of a crisp, cold autumn day.  Like when you can smell frost in the air and the smoke from wood fires.

I thought of the same thing before I even read yours.

Memories of walks through the woods in autumn, where leaves are bright colors with the earthy smell of the forest floor.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Umm.... chocolate! Wait, no, old bookstore! No, no, clean linens. Or maybe the smell of mangos!

The smell of spring! the smell of autumn!

Theres too many good smells!

One that I like, but that doesn’t like me anymore, is woodsmoke. Brings on an instant sore throat and headache. Sadness.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I think I'm gonna add anther "favorite" smell. I have no idea what the tree is, but it blooms in June or July. The smell it produces, I absolutely love & take it fully in when I smell it. Nice thing is there is a couple trees at different spots on my walk to work + back in the 70's/80s when my grandmother had a house in a small town, those trees were everywhere around the house. Takes me back every time I breathe it in.

• Like 8
12 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Vanilla

Wood smoke

the Forest

Autumn

The Ocean (Especially waaaaaay out in the middle of it)

3 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

3. Cow manure.

No, I'm serious. Growing up a farm, that was the primary smell in the air. Now, for me, it's nostalgic and reminiscent of days gone by.

Plus, when driving through the country, I can roll down my window and smell the breeze. Most other people in the car, how should I say, "don't appreciate that". :devil:

I totally get that. My grandparents lived in Vermont and they had some neighbors that lived a few miles up the road. They had a small farm, which had cows. They also had kids that were relatively close to my age, so I spent a fair bit of time at their place playing. So, like you, that smell reminds me of all those good times long ago.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, redambrosia said:

One that I like, but that doesn’t like me anymore, is woodsmoke. Brings on an instant sore throat and headache. Sadness.

Any and all wood smoke, or have you experimented with different species to see if you've maybe developed an allergy to a specific type of tree from continued exposure?  That's a thing that will happen to woodworkers sometimes.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, VitM said:

Any and all wood smoke, or have you experimented with different species to see if you've maybe developed an allergy to a specific type of tree from continued exposure?  That's a thing that will happen to woodworkers sometimes.

No, I haven’t experimented. I know that wildfires make me sick and the smoke from fireplaces make me sick. I haven’t really had the opportunity to test anything (or even really the will power, I’ve been so sick this last year making myself voluntarily sick seems like a bad idea).

• Like 6
9 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

Good question! I approve!

I have three.

1. The smell of freshly cut grass. Not only is it a nice smell, but it means you're done cutting the lawn.

2. Freshly baked chocolate chip cookies.

3. Cow manure.

I used to get excited when the Greyhound bus drove past the feedlots and Eau de Manure filled the air. It meant I was almost home! It still smells like money to me. 

• Like 6