Getting to Know You, February 2021

On 2/1/2021 at 8:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 1: Do you feed/attract any wildlife.  If so, what do you feed and what is attracted to it? 

(Pictures are not required but would be awesome!)

No / Yes. 
Feed: answer is no. 
Attract: yes, it is amazing what Constant benign neglect and Resolute indifference will do.

B3554081-CE7E-4502-BB08-29E977DE7B21.thumb.jpeg.f651ee4bd3be5c829079d5e293bb7e29.jpeg

This picture was taken through a window and there is-was a bright red little Cardinal in that neglected overgrown shrubbery.  He is hard to spot. 

By not feeding or attacking anything I have,  in no particular order: Cardinals, sparrows, Cats, squirrels, Blue Jays, Racoons, mystery bandit birds, and things that howl in the night, visiting my property. I am smack in the middle of a city, with a six lane interstate just north of me. It helps that there is much tree cover. 
B84B588F-6792-487E-8619-88EC661B7D5B.thumb.jpeg.262657181ca05249473c7e2f26361afe.jpeg

This is nearby ^ not my property, but similar. 

Two nights ago I was up late, at the window where my computer is and I spotted eyeballs looking in. It was a scruffy little grey cat, it looked a bit like @Kuroneko’s Diva. But it’s fur was longer, floofier, and a bit scraggly. Poor thing is living rough. I waved at it. It moved to look around the other side of my monitor. I waved again. It decided to flee. (I guess to a cat a friendly wave looks like brandished claws ??) I would feed that critter if I could avoid terrifying it. ::(:  Opening the window and pushing food out is not an option, the window hasn’t been opened in thirty+ years. The paint sealing the window shut is older than that cat. 

On 2/2/2021 at 1:39 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION Feb. 2nd. is brought to you by WOOF.

We deny having taken Talespinner hostage so we could post a question...

What is the most dangerous animal that lives in the Wild in your area and did you ever meet it?

Panther > Bobcat > Coyotes

^ ^ ^

Most to least dangerous per pound/kg.

No, unless I get to count that time the two Coyotes cruised through my backyard while I was watching from the window. 

That was more of a sighting than a meeting I’m thinking. 

Edited by TGP
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

Okay, it’s a day late, but I made my Chinese food.    Pork lo Mein stir fry   Chicken and broccoli (since I didn’t have any beef)   I’m stuffed!

I'm trying to slog through my Reaper Challenge League entries, but I haven't been well the last week (thankfully not that, don't worry, I've been tested) so my hands were a 'tiny' bit shaky and I ende

Posted Images

On 2/1/2021 at 8:17 AM, TaleSpinner said:

February 1: Do you feed/attract any wildlife.  If so, what do you feed and what is attracted to it? 

(Pictures are not required but would be awesome!)

Yes I do.  In the Fall, Winter, and early Spring, I feed the birds and others.  I have three seed feeders and a suet block feeder on a tall pole that I can see from my favorite chair.  It took me about 3 years of trial and error to make it squirrel proof.  On it, I get the following species:

- Northern Cardinal

- Black-capped Chickadee

- White-breasted Nuthatch

- Red-breasted Nuthatch (rare)

- Blue Jay

- Red-bellied Woodpecker

- Downy Woodpecker

- Hairy Woodpecker

- Common Red poll

- Junco

- Am Goldfinch

- Pine Siskin

- House Finch

- Purple Finch (rare)

- House Sparrow

- Cooper's Hawk

- Sharp-shinned Hawk (rare)

- Eastern Bluebird (spring only)

- Scarlet Tanager (spring only, rare)

- Yellow-rumped Warbler (spring only)

- Other warblers (rare and I am not going to list all the varieties as there are many and I can't remember which I have seen on the feeders)

I also run a Winter cracked corn feeder on the ground.  That feeds the following:

- Mallard (I get flocks up to 100 birds every day, and because of them I go through 150 to 200 pounds of feed a week)

- White-tailed Deer (I have a small herd of 4 to 5 that comes daily)

- Grey Squirrel

- Red Squirrel

- Cotton-tail Rabbit

- Blue Jay

- Common Crow

- Red-tailed Hawk

- Red Fox

(The previous two mostly pick off the slow fat squirrels)

I have also made my back yard to be as inviting to wildlife as I can in suburbia.  I never use weed killer and have been cultivating a multi species wildlife friendly lawn for decades (I have grass, white clover, creeping thyme, creeping charlie, plantain, and dandelion in my lawn itself).  I have seen 3 different species of native bumble bees (I love bumble bees) and many other bee species.  I have a wren house that attracts either house wrens or chickadees every year.  The wild rose hedge and lilac hedges are brooding grounds for  Brown Thrashers, Am Robins, Cardinals, rabbits, and even a fox den once (didn't have as many rabbit issues that year). 

Most recently, I put in a multi-level pond and waterfall.  That has vastly increase animal traffic in the yard.  I now get green frogs, dragonflies of several species, and even caddis and may flies all summer, in addition to all the above species taking drinks (or in the case of the Mallards enjoying the new winter hot tub; I keep it at 34 degrees F all winter).  Last summer, we even got to watch a green heron hunting frogs and my goldfish.

This summer, I am adding a bat house and a new wren house to the yard and may add a hummingbird feeder now that the trees in the area have grown enough to attract them (I tried years ago, but there were none back then).

On 2/2/2021 at 1:39 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION Feb. 2nd. is brought to you by WOOF.

We deny having taken Talespinner hostage so we could post a question...

What is the most dangerous animal that lives in the Wild in your area and did you ever meet it?

In my area precisely, not much other than dogs and coyotes.  Up north a bit, where I spend a lot of time camping, we get black bears, wolves, and cougar, but moose are by far the most dangerous.  I have seen all but the cougar in the wild myself; and have seen fresh tracks of the cougar. 

5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 3: Do you prefer highly detailed minis with lots of bits and bobs, or simpler minis with more open spaces/simpler designs (asking for  a friend :ph34r:)?

I tend to prefer simpler minis.  I really am asking for a sculptor friend, as it was a question she asked me a week or two ago that sparked a good conversation between us.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 3: Do you prefer highly detailed minis with lots of bits and bobs, or simpler minis with more open spaces/simpler designs (asking for  a friend :ph34r:)?

I don't mind painting the occasional simpler mini, but mostly I prefer them absolutely caked in details, I find they're better suited to my "Colouring it in" style of painting.

• Like 10

It depends if you want a gaming piece or a museum piece. I can appreciate high levels of details on an unpainted miniature (particularly PC characters). But satisfyingly painting it all is very labor intensive and will very likely go unappreciated by anyone but the painter (you want a museum piece or a gaming piece).

How many times has a small bit of detail suddenly jump at you and you had no idea what the elf it was?

At the same time, open spaces are easy to paint, yet bland unless you start doing freehand and add in new patterns. Also time consuming, but somewhat more satisfying as you're really adding a personal touch.

So generally speaking, a balance of not too little and not too much.

• Like 11
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Not a fan of any miniature best described by the word “intricate” or the phrase “much assembly required”.

”Some assembly required” is OK. 

A specific example: a foot knight with a shield and a cloak. 

I wouldn’t mind a choice of shields: a plain one, and two with raised emblems appropriate to his faction or army. Alternately the raised emblems could let him be used in either of two armies. 

If he is an adventurer some extra gear is good; if he is just part of an army, he left all that back at the encampment. 

If he has a cloak, I would prefer plain, I’ll never do justice to a raised design in the big middle of the cloak. A raised border could be helpful, though. 

• Like 10

it kind of depends what it is meant to be. I like lots of gear detail on some warrior type characters, but for rougues I really do enjoy the wrapped in a cloak with only hands, feet, face, and knife visible look. 

For creatures I like a bit of texture detail but not a ton. little bit of grooves on the horns, maybe some fur texture where it's shaggy, or scales where there's a ridge or a big bend. 

for machines I like big smooth areas on the body and then detailing in the joints and hinges. 

• Like 9
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

If I'm doing a pile of rank 'n file, simpler is better. After a while, you just wanna get 'em done. I kind of like how GW did some of the older plastic sets: simple minis with lots of optional goodies to glue on. 

Some minis just need the goodies. A pack animal for example. It's always fun to see something whimsical in the luggage. The GW LoTR range has a great Sam with sausages off his pack and a frying pan in hand. 

If goodies add to the story or personality of a mini, I love them. I have an Egyptian tomb robber from Dark Fable that has talismans galore. Makes sense if you're trying to avoid all those curses invoking demons with names like Marrow-Sucker. I also love them on wizards and druids. I'd like to see more druids with animals. Even a henchman with a canary in a cage on a pole would be neat. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

I always like well-detailed (i.e. features/items well-pronounced vs sloppy) regardless of the design being simple vs highly detailed.

Highly detailed minis are good as long as the details make sense. Example: Oswald the Overladen. So much stuff on him, I can't even make it all out, yet it makes sense for the mini. A wizard with a belt of pouches makes sense, but don't go throwing a backpack on him too (a wizard would hopefully have other ways to transport his stuff... like making the fighter carry it).

At the same time, I like a simple design. A warrior with plain armor and cloak is great, I can jazz it up if I want or make the mini into a simplistic fighter.

Have to pick? Simple wins over lots of bits and bobs; I don't like my figures being railroaded with bits that I don't want or have to cut away.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Cranky Dog said:

It depends if you want a gaming piece or a museum piece. I can appreciate high levels of details on an unpainted miniature (particularly PC characters). But satisfyingly painting it all is very labor intensive and will very likely go unappreciated by anyone but the painter...

How many times has a small bit of detail suddenly jump at you and you had no idea what the elf it was?

22 minutes ago, Great Khan Artist said:

If I'm doing a pile of rank 'n file, simpler is better. After a while, you just wanna get 'em done. I kind of like how GW did some of the older plastic sets: simple minis with lots of optional goodies to glue on. 

18 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

I always like well-detailed (i.e. features/items well-pronounced vs sloppy) regardless of the design being simple vs highly detailed.

Others have touched on some points I agree with.  I appreciate well sculpted sharp details, especially if they add interest and are in keeping with the character.  I'm not a fan of figures with unidentifiable bits and blobs all over and texture added to every surface. 

I primarily paint for enjoyment and the table top.  So I want  a figure with enough detail to be interesting, but not so intricate that I can't finish it easily and make it look good.  I think a lot of sculptors spend time talking with the artists who are doing high-level painting, people who love to paint landscapes on the back of a cloak or work for weeks on blending flesh or painting eyelashes.  Gamers want something that looks great with a drybrush and an ink wash. 

• Like 10

Depends on the mini's size for me.

If it's on the bigger scale, plenty of space to mess up work with, so sure, add all the bits and bobs you'd like.

But in general, simpler is better for me.

Now that I've done it three days in a row, I think I'm gonna make it a challenge for myself to use strikethrough text in every answer. Wish me luck!

• Like 8
6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Seems to depend on scale, and what is being implied.  Infinity is full of minis that are a royal pain to paint due to way too many details or ridges, while others are an outright joy to paint. 

Somewhere in the middle would probably be my preference, doubly so with all the points others have already made. 

• Like 8

Yes. As long as they're well sculpted I'm happy with either, but as has been stated multiple times, the details have to be clear. I sometimes enjoy painting lots of of little things, and other times just want a simple sculpt to just enjoy and don't have to think about at all.

• Like 9

I generally want all the stuff that should be there to be well-defined (separate panels of armor, belts, a spell book or potion-holster), and all the stuff that shouldn’t be there to...not be there (a second buckle on a belt, the third and fourth belt pouch, the additional panel of fabric where no sane seamstress would put one).

which sounds like an indictment of Werner Klocke, more than anything, but I actually love a lot of his work.

generally, the Dungeon Dwellers line is my favorite thing Reaper has developed in the last few years. Detailed, but not maddeningly so, and generally with some awareness of how people actually prepare for adventure.

my biggest peeve right now is actually shield detail. Personally, I’d prefer all minis’ shields just be smooth. Barring that, if you’re going to put detail on them, put an actual something on there: sculpt in a peacock or a bear or a burning goblet. What infuriates me (and I’m being unreasonable, I know; I’m not actually going to throw anything at Ron or the sculptors over this) are shields with sculpted divisions on them. “This shield’s face is divided in quarters. No detail, just four flat panels, two of which are significantly relieved from the others. Brilliant!”

Now, if I want to freehand something, it either has to be multiple tiny somethings, or I have to fill or smooth the relief. Bleh. Reaper, Darksword, several others have done this and I just don’t get it.

• Like 10

Depends on my mood. Sometimes I want to sit down and do something super detailed. Others I just want to base coat and some dry brushing and be done.

• Like 8

I'm starting to think that I should make a converting shields class for ReaperCon.  We could cover stripping a shield of details and adding a layer of GS to make it perfectly smooth AND adding relief details to a smooth shield.

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1