Getting to Know You, February 2021

6 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 3: Do you prefer highly detailed minis with lots of bits and bobs, or simpler minis with more open spaces/simpler designs (asking for  a friend :ph34r:)?

I like details that imply character, but I generally prefer the simple minis.  They're easier to paint and give great opportunity for freehand designs, or color transitions.  These painted details become harder to accomplish with too many belts, bags, and bits.

Essentially: If the detail ADDS to the character then it's fine by me.  If it's just to fill space... not so much.  Especially, as others have mentioned, those hard to interpret details.

• Like 10
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There is something to be said about Reaper's early years catalog vs later offerings. That being said, if I can find a mini that fills a spot for an adventure, I don't really care if it's simple or busy.

• Like 8
19 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm starting to think that I should make a converting shields class for ReaperCon.  We could cover stripping a shield of details and adding a layer of GS to make it perfectly smooth AND adding relief details to a smooth shield.

The stripping part I probably have a good* handle on, but adding clear relief details would be more than worth the price of admission for me!

* or, “good enough,” anyway. 

• Like 10
7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 3: Do you prefer highly detailed minis with lots of bits and bobs, or simpler minis with more open spaces/simpler designs (asking for  a friend :ph34r:)?

As with most of us it really depends on what I want the mini for, but well sculpted simple designs are much better than poorly sculpted detailed designs

Realistically I'm a lazy painter so details that come up well with washes and drybrushes suit me fine

• Like 9
34 minutes ago, Sanael said:

The stripping part I probably have a good* handle on, but adding clear relief details would be more than worth the price of admission for me!

* or, “good enough,” anyway. 

I love sculpting in bas-relief.  I don't get to do it often, but it is rewarding.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm starting to think that I should make a converting shields class for ReaperCon.  We could cover stripping a shield of details and adding a layer of GS to make it perfectly smooth AND adding relief details to a smooth shield.

Let me guess:

Step 1: Don't fear the scalpel?

::):

I'm actually currently contemplating grinding a spare Reptus shield design down with a roto-tool after I've cut off what I can with a scalpel, so any quick advice would be beneficial.

• Like 9
8 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I quite enjoy it when accents are added to figures to give them more personality, though I will eternally swear at them when painting the fiddly bits.

• Like 7
23 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

Let me guess:

Step 1: Don't fear the scalpel?

::):

I'm actually currently contemplating grinding a spare Reptus shield design down with a roto-tool after I've cut off what I can with a scalpel, so any quick advice would be beneficial.

Metal I assume?  Do you have a rotary tool? If so, I recommend these:

51-GzNu268L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

1/8" shank carbide burrs.  They go through pewter like butter.  Best thing for any pewter work from mold line removal to major surgery.

For Bones, use a scalpel.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 4
7 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I like both :) This mini really represents what I prefer- a decent amount of kit and plenty of fabric to paint either plain or go crazy on the freehand. 

477018864_03957_w_1(2).jpg.1606f221ed77aa30edb87bf45d13341b.jpg

17 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

Indeed I do :upside:

Nope, still not jealous :poke: 

Behold the russet magnificence of our Wrens! So bright and beautiful!

Wren-Steve-Waterhouse-e1527764831958-1600x1068.thumb.jpg.b78218d2a39c26672986f4fab5a41dc5.jpg

At least their song is great :rolleyes: Also, their Latin name is Troglodytes troglodytes (meaning lone cave dweller)

https://www.rspb.org.uk/birds-and-wildlife/wildlife-guides/bird-a-z/wren/

6 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Neat! We get a North American version around here called a Brown Creeper (Certhia americana) that looks just like tree bark when it's sitting still and only goes backwards down trees. I did not realize there were such similar looking species in Europe. (I also had to look up @ratsmitglied's Fairy Wren, and wow!)

The Brown Creeper really does look ours!  There's also a European species called a Wallcreeper, it's a stunning looking wee thing. I keep on meaning to paint up my Tail Feathers minis and base one on their plumage.

612803400_0d36e74bd38076e7047794b1a0b22ea2(1).jpg.f84bc1906f82f59db9110aa95bce58d8.jpg

Also, here's a random photo of how Treecreepers roost. Hanging onto the treetrunk and floofed up like crazy. It's adorable :wub:

roosting-treecreeper.jpg.b09b22f983f45fefeb368e4a881b7eb6.jpg

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

That sounds great!

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

That sounds like a great idea.

Talk to Jon about it.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, MoonglowMinis said:

Essentially: If the detail ADDS to the character then it's fine by me.  If it's just to fill space... not so much.  Especially, as others have mentioned, those hard to interpret details.

Yes. 

And for the love of paint, please stop sculpting figures with their faces looking down at their toes.  They are really hard to photograph and display.  I know it looks great in hand or in the 3d sculpting program, but it's terrible on the table. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

4 hours ago, Crowley said:

Yes. As long as they're well sculpted I'm happy with either, but as has been stated multiple times, the details have to be clear. I sometimes enjoy painting lots of of little things, and other times just want a simple sculpt to just enjoy and don't have to think about at all.

That ^^^ is exactly what I think about the subject.

• Like 9
9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

With the caveat that the details should make sense and be sculpted such that the painter can actually make out what they are, I prefer my minis to have some detail.  This isn't necessarily just "bits and bobs" but folds in cloth, dents, dings, scratches, and so forth.  I think some minis must have ironed their clothes after they got dressed.

If a mini is too simple I'm just not interested.

• Like 9
15 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Both please! Some interesting things to spice it up (fiddly bits) and a good area or two for getting creative.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Auberon said:

With the caveat that the details should make sense and be sculpted such that the painter can actually make out what they are, I prefer my minis to have some detail.  This isn't necessarily just "bits and bobs" but folds in cloth, dents, dings, scratches, and so forth. I think some minis must have ironed their clothes after they got dressed.

If a mini is too simple I'm just not interested.

Bigby’s smoothing hand. :winkthumbs: 

• Like 3
  • Haha 6