Getting to Know You, February 2021

February 4: What is the most recent innovation you have added to your hobby repertoire? 

Could be a tool or gadget, a technique, or any other addition that has helped you up your game.

• Like 8
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

31 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 4: What is the most recent innovation you have added to your hobby repertoire? 

Could be a tool or gadget, a technique, or any other addition that has helped you up your game.

I have started using magnifying glasses for detail painting; re, the old eyes aren't what they were.

• Like 11
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

On reflection, it’s been a while since I added anything game changing to the repertoire.  It goes back several years now, but starting to use a wet pallette is probably the newest important technique in my playbook.

Edited by Rob Dean
Bad typing
  • Like 10
1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

stippling skin highlights then glazing it back with the mid tone.

• Like 11
16 hours ago, Kuroneko said:

The Brown Creeper really does look ours!  There's also a European species called a Wallcreeper, it's a stunning looking wee thing. I keep on meaning to paint up my Tail Feathers minis and base one on their plumage.

612803400_0d36e74bd38076e7047794b1a0b22ea2(1).jpg.f84bc1906f82f59db9110aa95bce58d8.jpg

One of these days I'm going to have to go to Europe for a birding trip.

Had to think for a minute, but it turns out I have added nothing new to my mini painting gadgetry in about a year, and even then it was just making the jump to some nicer brushes. I'm trying to actually paint more highlights on stuff, but that's not really new, that's just me trying to take my time on certain figures. Now if we move outside of the realm of miniatures and into the word of homebrewing I recently picked up a 30L Spiedel Fermenter which theoretically should reduce the amount of particulates in my finished beer. That's not why i got it though, it's just easier on my back to pick it up than a glass carboy of similar size. 

I did put a set of those carbide burrs in an online cart though. 

• Like 9
57 minutes ago, malefactus said:

I have started using magnifying glasses for detail painting; re, the old eyes aren't what they were.

Yah, probably going to say this as well. On the off chance I bought one a couple years ago. If not for these, I'd probably not be able to do hobby stuff right now. Overall, hobby stuff, possibly the space heater I got for the garage. Without that I'd probably not have a home D&D game going or be able to do any hobbies, as my upstairs hobby room is a complete disaster right now.

• Like 11

At about the same time I've finally picked up a ceramic well palette (or two)  and a cheapy vortex mixer.  Both for the same reason, GW Contrast paints.  They are great for quickly doing Stormtroopers and Droids and the like, but you really need to shake to crap out of them to get some of them mixed, and if you need to thin them at all a good well palette really comes in handy, since they really don't go well with a wet palette.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Just took Aaron Lovejoy’s NMM class through Miniature Monthly. I’ve been a long-time fan of shaded metallics, but I’ve been increasingly frustrated in recent years with metallic paints. I’m really excited to have demystified NMM, and I have to say that Aaron is a SPECTACULAR teacher. He’s got a blending class coming up and I would recommend it to anyone looking to up their game. Aaron is very good at presenting both theory and technique in an interesting, digestible way, and his feedback is immediate and concise.

I also just ordered the Redgrass wet palette, which will hopefully be a marked improvement over my current palette situation.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, Sanael said:

Just took Aaron Lovejoy’s NMM class through Miniature Monthly. I’ve been a long-time fan of shaded metallics, but I’ve been increasingly frustrated in recent years with metallic paints. I’m really excited to have demystified NMM...

So here’s my NMM question:  As I understand this, the basic effect is achieved by painting the reflective highlights onto the objects to be depicted as metallic (?).  This will depend on light angle (?), so does this imply that my usual objective of figures on a table for a game would restrict me to painting them under the noon-day (zenithal) light (?) in order to prevent some sort of visual incoherence if they are randomly placed?

• Like 8

Can't really think of anything, I'm pretty set in my ways at this point.

• Like 8

3D Printer since April last year.

This ensures that I will paint for eternity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 9

Hmmn. 3d printer?  Roll20? Basement remodel with really good lighting? 

I'm considering a new brush. The kolinsky sable I got a couple years back (recommended by Corporea) has really improved my painting but I need one with a super fine tip. The one I have now is kind of fat. 

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

3D Printer since April last year.

This ensures that I will paint for eternity.

I'm going to just start slipping you STLs. :poke:

Painting: Airbrush (Still getting the hang of it)

Sculpting: Z-Brush, most recent tool is the IMM brush creation and use.

3D Printing (Yes, I count this as a separate hobby now): Sonic Mini 4K (total game changer)

Jewelry: Draw bench/plates and an arm for my microscope (making it actually usable). Also the Jool Tool polisher and lapidary machine; game changer.  It's been a good year for me toolwise in the jewelry shop.

Cooking: Air Fryer (amazing machine...LOVE IT!!!)

Fishing: Kayak

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Adding flow improver to my paints on my wet palette.

Currently using a 5:1 water to improver ratio (could go down to 10:1), but just adding a miniature drop helps my paints when I do fine detail.

I was surprised that edge highlighting was so much easier to do. Instead of being large streaks for having my brush too loaded, or half-dried lines because it was too little loaded, the flow improver gave me a happy workable middle-ground.

• Like 11
4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I suspect that might wind up being my airbrush, as I've started using it for more than just priming and laying down an initial base coat. 

Beyond that, I've picked up several things to try but haven't tried them out yet. 

• Like 8