Getting to Know You, February 2021

4 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 4: What is the most recent innovation you have added to your hobby repertoire? 

Could be a tool or gadget, a technique, or any other addition that has helped you up your game.

I haven't had time to paint since the school year started, but the most recent addition would be a big ol' box of paints I got.

• Like 8
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I feed @buglips*the*goblin whenever he's in town. He seems to be attracted to me, god bless him, and I feed him mostly chicken tenders and whatever American fast food he requests.

Okay, it’s a day late, but I made my Chinese food.    Pork lo Mein stir fry   Chicken and broccoli (since I didn’t have any beef)   I’m stuffed!

I'm trying to slog through my Reaper Challenge League entries, but I haven't been well the last week (thankfully not that, don't worry, I've been tested) so my hands were a 'tiny' bit shaky and I ende

Posted Images

February 4: What is the most recent innovation you have added to your hobby repertoire? 

Could be a tool or gadget, a technique, or any other addition that has helped you up your game.

Professor @OneBoot recently introduced me to Molotow Liquid Chrome. Alllllll the shinyyyyyyyyy.............

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Adding a seam-scraper has helped me get a lot of hard-plastic armies cleaned up faster than just using a hobby knife. And has saved on band-aids. Though I did buy a scalpel almost 2 months ago for metal models; I've yet to use it, a bit scared that I'm going to cut through my protective glove. I really don't want to go get stitches right now.

Things that I'm looking to add at some point that might up my game/make hobbying easier:

• a vortex mixer
  • some type of airbrush
  • a paint rack
  • a better light, a single, long overhead lamp
  • the final Dark Sword painting dvd with Jessica Rich
  • Like 8
1 hour ago, Rob Dean said:

So here’s my NMM question:  As I understand this, the basic effect is achieved by painting the reflective highlights onto the objects to be depicted as metallic (?).  This will depend on light angle (?), so does this imply that my usual objective of figures on a table for a game would restrict me to painting them under the noon-day (zenithal) light (?) in order to prevent some sort of visual incoherence if they are randomly placed?

So, keeping in mind that I’m a relative NMM neophyte...

the simplest way of dealing with NMM is going to be zenithal light. But some kind of directional light works well (the figure we painted in class had an angle of about 45 degrees), and you can also work in multiple light sources, especially if they are of different intensities.

It’s really not very different than painting hair or cloth: we add shadows based on a certain imagined angle of light, it’s just that NMM has much more intense shadows and highlights in order to sell reflectivity.

even shaded metallics/TMM works this way if you’re playing with shadow opacity and brighter metallic paints as highlights.

This all does mean that there’s a specific viewing angle that likely works “best,” but it doesn’t really seem to be any orders of magnitude better than viewing from the “wrong” angle. Even on the 75mm figure we used in class, I’m not put off by viewing it from any which way, and the visual confusion is even less apparent on smaller scale figures.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
5 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I don't know that it's helped me up my game exactly, but it's certainbly added to it - Trash Bashing! Being able to take some junk and turn it into something that'll look good on the tabletop just feels good. Plus the fact that it's literally trash makes me not worry about "ruining it" or "making it perfect" since the only thing I'll be wasting is my time and effort, and I won't be tossing away some expensive kit.

• Like 12
10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Talking to people on the Reaper discord voice channel.  In These Trying Times, it's one of my few ways to socialize and is something I look forward to.

Now if only I had more time to paint...

• Like 8
9 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

The Sonic Mini 4K.  I can't say it has upped my game as it doesn't paint my minis for me, but it does make them.

• Like 10
10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I'm getting some stuff (bigger brushes, acrylic tube paint, etc) to try my hand at painting miniaturized landscapes á la Bob Ross.

Otherwise I don't really have anything of note.

• Like 10
11 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

A Smith and Wesson S.W.A.T. folding knife. It allows me to open boxes to actually get to my hobby stuff.::P:

• Haha 11
17 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Working on being better organized, especially with how much I spent on Bones V

• Like 8
17 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

15 hours ago, Sanael said:

Just took Aaron Lovejoy’s NMM class through Miniature Monthly . . . and I have to say that Aaron is a SPECTACULAR teacher.

Painting: Yes!! I am slowly working through my way through his airbrushing one and it's been informative and hilarious. Liz and Aaron are adorably funny too. :wub: Even though I'm watching the old recordings, it still feels like a little bit of social time. I'm about halfway through and already feeling great about my progress!

3D Sculpting: My 60% sized mechanical keyboard came in yesterday. It has Gateron Blues, so they're solid and clicky! I've been struggling badly since my surgery to find a good position for my standard keyboard, and all the cheaper, smaller keyboards I've tried have died on me after the return window (I should have just spent the money on the good stuff to begin with). I can position it perfectly on my desk and I was able to sculpt for an hour and a half today! I made a stone table. Baby steps! :lol:

3D Printing: Oh goodness, where to start.... Hahaha! After my love opened up his etsy shop, we ended up buying a second resin printer to keep up with orders and these INCREDIBLE little magnetic plates called Wham Bams. You attach them to your printer, print normally, and instead of wasting several minutes trying to get the stupid prints off, you simply bend the magnetic plate. The figures just drop off! It has saved us so much time and energy.

Another simple addition: A bowl of warm water. We were struggling with the larger, scaled-up supports when we would print minis at a larger size. We wash the minis in IPA twice, let them sit in the bowl of warm water for a minute, and all of supports pop off. Just make sure that they have time to fully dry before curing!

Edited by Morihalda
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, Morihalda said:

My 60% sized mechanical keyboard came in yesterday. It has Gateron Blues, so they're solid and clicky!

Ooooh, Gateron switches, kind of envious over here ^_^

I wish the smaller form factor keyboards would work for me, but I use the numpad way too much. 

Definitely glad to hear the 60% keyboard not only works, but us lovely to type on! 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Almost missed this question because I was making all preparations to head to the dentist for the first time in two years yesterday. 

23 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

I scratch built a Wet Palette. I haven’t used it yet. But I have one now. 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/90777-rictur-builds-a-wet-palette-for-63-cents/ (Full disclosure: I had a lot of help with the build from Rictur the Acid-Washed Assassin)

I built my own Pokey Tool. There is no thread for it (yet) but it was another project similar to the 63¢ wet palette. Final cost on the Pokey Tool was about 11¢. 

I have used the Pokey Tool to poke something. 

• Like 8
21 minutes ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 5:  Culinary Culture Appreciation Day:  What is your favorite cuisine from an ethnicity that is not your own, and why?

Probably Chinese, at least the Americanized version of it. I eat it the most. I can't remember for sure, but I'll wager it's one of the first I was introduced to and it's easy to get, lots of restaurants in my neck of the woods.

Turkish food, now there's something really good, but it's much harder to find here. I only know/knew of three restaurants remotely close to me, and those are about an hour's drive away. The cuisine was everywhere in Germany when I lived there, in little hole-in-the-wall shops, basically fast food instead of sit-down style. I could order a dönerkebab, and be chowing down on it in two minutes. Really good.

• Like 9