Getting to Know You, February 2021

1 hour ago, TaleSpinner said:

February 5:  Culinary Culture Appreciation Day:  What is your favorite cuisine from an ethnicity that is not your own, and why?

I'm a hobby chef and like to cook.

My favorite cuisine depends on my mood and the day.

Overall my favorites are:

Indonesian and Greek, followed by Indian, Tex Mex and Italian.

I don't mean the simple take out stuff.

I mean fresh veggies, good meat, the right herbs etc...

Love it.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Glitterwolf said:

I'm a hobby chef and like to cook.

My favorite cuisine depends on my mood and the day.

Overall my favorites are:

Indonesian and Greek, followed by Indian, Tex Mex and Italian.

I don't mean the simple take out stuff.

I mean fresh veggies, good meat, the right herbs etc...

Love it.

Some days, I think we must be long lost brothers on different continents.  That is essentially my answer.  Except I'd have to add in Irish, English, and Thai as well.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, TaleSpinner said:

Some days, I think we must be long lost brothers on different continents.  That is essentially my answer.  Except I'd have to add in Irish, English, and Thai as well.

I like it all.

Except seafood...with some small exceptions..

There are many more interesting dishes from other cultures.

English- Sheperd's Pie, Bubble and Squeak!

Irish -Irish Stew, Black and White Pudding and of course Irish Coffee..

Thai? Not too familiar with it.

This week I've been cooking Greek for two days.

Covid..no vacation to Greece? I'll bring Greece to the Dinner table.

At least we can pretend a little then.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

February 5:  Culinary Culture Appreciation Day:  What is your favorite cuisine from an ethnicity that is not your own, and why?

American Chinese (distinctly different from traditional Chinese). Also Indian food, as cooked by a tiny Indian woman with many grandchildren (probably). 

I mean, they’re yummy as heck! What other reason do you need :lol:

• Like 9

All of it? But if I have to choose just one I'll go with Lebanese. Lots of variety in dishes, very fresh veggies, focus is on herbs and spices for extra flavor and not lots of heavy sauces. And not just "hot" spices, but the use of lots of earthy flavors that aren't typical in a lot of other cooking. And Baklava... mmm, baklava. There's not a lot of Lebanese food where I'm at these days, but when I used to live in the Toledo area (the one in Ohio, not the original one) there was a decent percentage of the population who were of Lebanese descent and the food was great everywhere. Around here it's mostly Greek, which people always tell me is close enough to Lebanese. It is not.

And what the heck, I'll give a shout out to Eritrean food as well. There's a guy in my neighborhood who was doing an Eritrean pop up restaurant before the pandemic and I had no idea just how good it was. I was never entirely sure what exactly was in the sides because everything is in a thick brown sauce, but it was so good. He had to shut it down during the pandemic because doing a pop up in the back of someone else's business isn't exactly pandemic safe. 

• Like 8

I'm making Irish stew tonight, with a Scottish twist*.  :poke:

*That's where I deglaze the pan with a nice smokey Scotch instead of Irish Whiskey or Guinness.

**It is also highly likely that I will deglaze my stomach while I am at it.

• Like 3
  • Haha 8
2 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Italian with Mexican coming in second

Why? because I enjoy the taste. Why else would it be a favorite?

• Like 7

For take out/delivery, Chinese. We pretty much get the Canadian version here, but the few times I've had more traditional it has been amazing.

Pretty much every other Asian food is a close second (as long as it isn't a seafood related dish at least).

For home cooking, Italian and Greek are our most common.  My wife went to Greece in high school and has loved the food ever since.

My wife has been starting to look at other recipes from other countries that could be used low carb recently so we've had a few new additions....(feel free to pm suggestions :poke:)

Low carb makes trying most things tricky (at home or out).  There is a very good Ethiopian restaurant near work that I've been interested in trying, but looking at the menu it isn't particularly low carb, and for trying a place for the first time I hate to have to only be able to pick the one thing that is low on the menu.  And then I haven't actually been to the office for almost a year now so.....

• Like 6

Tough question, I like stuff from all over the place.

I would probably go with Chinese though, mainly because it seems a lot easier to de-spice than other cuisines (I don't mind spicy stuff, but my housemate can't handle anything above a small pinch of black pepper).

• Like 7

Persian.  Aside from it being delicious, satisfying, and smelling wonderful; it helped bring my wife and I together. :wub: 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

From experience, Chinese food ranks high. And not just the North American fast food version, but genuine Chinese food from high end restaurants and casual ones in China itself (though was disappointed by a few fast food ones). That cuisine really masters umami flavors.

From the other international cuisines I've tried (Indian, Japanese, Russian, Turkish, Lebanese, French, Italian, Mexican, Vietnamese, etc.), there is plenty to love. But either I haven't eaten enough of it to experience it fully (Indian, Turkish), or I've eaten plenty of it but it's not enough to beat my preference.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7

I like food.

I love the endless variety the people have come up with over the ages, and am always willing to try something new.

There aren't many that I won't eat, mostly things that combine sweet and savory on meat without adding a balancing sour note (like honey glazed ham or pineapple pizza...ick).

My favorites are probably a good Dim Sum and good Sushi/Sashimi.

The only Ethnic food that I have tried twice and will never try again is Ethiopian.  Something about it made me very ill a few hours later both times, so now I have an aversion to it, even though I LOVED the taste and experience.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

Easily Italian-American. I grew up in an Italian city and my babysitter was from a large Italian Catholic family, so just hanging out in the kitchen I learned a ton. And a lot of the ingredients are easily available. I am basically part Italian at this point, barely madigan, capisce?

I can whip up a quick tomato sauce that can feed an army in less than an hour.

1 lg can crushed tomatoes

1 lg can diced tomatoes

1 lg can whole peeled tomatoes

1 med can tomato paste

2 med yellow onions

2 bell peppers

garlic

maple sugar (can use brown, I get maple from the FFA kids)

italian seasoning (convenience mix)

Only prep here is dicing the onions and pepps, peeling the garlic. Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven (mine is coated cast iron) over med/high heat. Soften the onion/pepp mix, adding salt & pepper and a bit of seasoning mix. When softened, press garlic into pot and stir for 30 seconds (maybe half a head for this size recipe, get the Kuhn press for happy kitchening).

Now it's tomato time! In go the crushed and diced tomatoes. Open the whole peeled tomatoes, and manually tear the tomatoes, removing the stem/seed pulpy bit (this may get you yelled at in an Italian kitchen!). Stir in the paste to thicken the sauce, add sugar to taste (a tbsp or two is plenty imo, I err on the side of less). While you're adding sugar and tasting, good time to bring in more salt/pepper/seasoning mix.

Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring frequently DO NOT let it burn.

And yeah, that's it. If you want to go pseudo-bolognese, just add a step after softening the onion/pepps: Remove onion/pepp/garlic from pot. Bring heat to high and add more olive oil. Brown meatball mix (beef/pork/veal) until about a medium, add heavy cream to just coat the meat mix. Then put the kids back in the pool and start the tomatoes step. Boom, easy ghetto bolognese! Another pro-tip is to add some butter pats at the end, it should just melt in and give it a velvety mouth feel. An old tip from my college days is to add a 1/2 cup or so of Italian-seasoned bread crumbs near the end to give a thicker consistency and some tooth. I like a thicker sauce and usually serve over something like ziti/penne/cavatappi, ridges are good, DON'T RINSE, just use a little sauce to keep the pasta from clumping in the bowl after straining!).

Now I'm hungry. Anyway, this usually makes enough for a couple dinners and lunches, and is great for hooking the moms up with some grub.

@malefactus reminds me there is a bit of Mexican in my cooking, too, from my time in southern CA. I eat a lot of beans and rice, and flour tortillas are my favorite leftover delivery mechanism.

• Like 9

Food? Never touch the stuff.

yeah, right.

My parents were stationed in Turkey before I was born, so I grew up with my mom making a variety of Turkish things all the time. In prepandemic times, there’s a really great Turkish place near my office, I hope they’re able to come back strong.

my only issue with Turkish (and other Mediterranean/Aegean/Mideast cuisines) is that I find eggplant to be a vile thing in all its forms. But it’s not the only veggie they use, so I can work around it!

I also loooove Mexican and all the _____-Mex variants (that I’ve tried, anyway. I assume someone somewhere is making Vietmex food, but I haven’t seen it. I’d try it, though. Vietnamese is good, Mexicish is good.)

• Like 7