2021: Painting during the Pandemic (February goals)

On 2/1/2021 at 11:34 AM, SparrowMarie said:

Most of my goals are challenge league stuff. But I also am working on elements for Ma'al's base.

February RCL goals:

20210131_171216.jpg

Halfway through the month already?!

I've done not a ton. I have lost the bag in which I threw most of the minis to keep them together. I did however finish my trio mini and limited palette mini. Also, the Owlbear.

I've done a little on the ongoing projects. Will double down on those later this month/next month.

I did however start doing landscape painting, because why the elf not. I totally definitely needed another expensive hobby...

• Like 9
On 2/2/2021 at 6:06 PM, MoonglowMinis said:

- Finish my unit of Frog-Men (Hordes: Croak Raiders, and Underchief Mire)

They are so close to being finished.  Took a lot longer than anticipated.

- Paint Heroforge Kobold - a Late-Mas gift for a friend.
- Goremaw - Want to get more practice with my new Airbrush.  Might repaint the new prepainted purple worm I got recently as well.  Might be sick of purple by that point though

- Finish the sails for my boat???

Trying to keep goals small.  January kicked my butt with a new job with more hours and with a project that took longer than expected.

So I felt the need to check in because my goals have changed but it's definitely been a positive change.  I finished those frogs (FINALLY!) and also finished up that kobold present.  But I have started knocking out small projects pretty quickly.  I've already painted six others of varying sizes.  This is good for my painting speed.  Rangers of Shadow Deep has been a great motivator.  A lot of simple and classic creatures and heroes.  Great for an evening of painting.  And then the odd random mini here and there to keep it fresh.
These easy paintjobs have freed me up to challenge myself with the paint jobs.  Trying different techniques and playing around with color.  Plus churning them out is a breath of fresh air after struggling to finish those frogs.  I've got a set of 5 swampy skeletons on deck, hopefully they won't slow me down too much.

• Like 6
On 2/4/2021 at 5:55 PM, Rigel said:

MORE Midlam halflings and nuns, MORE squid cultists! And more horrible grubs! 
Anything beyond that is gravy. Maybe some peasants and witches.

Early Modern Halflings done, nuns complete, squid cultists done and photographed. 
Grubs are 80% done; we'll see how lazy I am if I do 20% more on them or the full other 80%.

Dulkathar, Necromancer is done, as is the TREE OF WOE.

Still working on a farmer or two and some Reaper brigands and peasants. 

• Like 5
On 2/1/2021 at 1:02 PM, Iridil said:

My only goal is to paint for at least 30 mins each day. 

Holy crap that's a lot of miniatures!

Oh wait I read that wrong. Thirty miniatures per day would be kind of extreme. Of course it is what I would have to turn out, to paint my collection of figures. So there is that.

buckyball

• Like 1
  • Haha 9

Spent most of this month not doing anything. I still have yet to find the lost RCL minis but, honestly, I haven't looked very hard. 

Got the 3 minis and 3 landscapes done. Plan on working on the ongoing projects later today when husband is playing D&D. 

• Like 6

I am not sure why it has tunred out this way, but this has been a dead month for hobbies.  I am taking a break from clearing my desk and re-ordering my travel paint kit, but no brush has been dipped in paint in ~3 months. :down: 

I think next month I will take a break from announcing any goals...

• Sad 4

Feb:  Mostly RCL 

Finish conversion (verocthulu)

Carrion Worm (Trio)

Axe peasant (duo) 

Dire Boar (new release)

Basilisk (Theme)

Dire Croc (monster) 

metal wizard (small KS- Freebee) 

get minis for Reaper online 

Dwarf Ranger (PC) 

type IV demon, wizkids (freebee) 

Work on 75mm resin dwarf maid, Black Crow Miniature - (barely) 

• Like 4
On 2/2/2021 at 7:04 AM, Citrine said:

Goal is to finish 4. The Grenadier dark elves all have their faces and hair done, just need to get going on their fancy armor. 

Finished 2 of the Grenadier dark elves, and a Heartbreaker female orc riding a big turtle.  I am counting the mounted orc as 2, so yay, finished 4! 

• Like 3
On 2/2/2021 at 6:06 PM, MoonglowMinis said:

- Finish my unit of Frog-Men (Hordes: Croak Raiders, and Underchief Mire)

- Paint Heroforge Kobold - a Late-Mas gift for a friend.
- Goremaw - Want to get more practice with my new Airbrush.  Might repaint the new prepainted purple worm I got recently as well.  Might be sick of purple by that point though

- Finish the sails for my boat???

On 2/16/2021 at 11:58 AM, MoonglowMinis said:

I've got a set of 5 swampy skeletons on deck, hopefully they won't slow me down too much.

So I don't think I ever stated it before, but my yearly goal was to paint 12 minis a month (an increase from the 10/month I challenged myself to last year.)
I was technically late January, not finishing the frogs until the first weekend of February, but I'm back on track.  JUST hit 12 for Feb today.

Also a note on the skeletons.  They did slow me down a little.  Group minis are exhausting for me.  Managed to push through and challenge myself to some NMM.  Not nearly as overwhelming as the frogs, but the delayed gratification of finishing each mini makes each paint session more difficult.  These weren't too bad though.  Might try breaking up groups into smaller units painted from start to finish with some of the minis I have coming up.

February run down

- Finished 11 Frogmen (counted towards January's total)
- Sir William the Peacemaker (77660)
- Cave Spider (44057)
- Scamper, Kobold Inventor (Heroforge)

- Bone Devil (77325)

- Lowland Owlbear (77674)

- Ice Witch Beauty (EC3D - Wilds of Wintertide)

- Flesh Golem (77512)

- 5 Bog Skeletons (44115)

• Like 5
On 2/2/2021 at 1:52 AM, WhiteWulfe said:

For February, a few things come to mind...

• Paint LAV III up to it's basic UN colour tones!
  • Finish painting Queen of Hell (she's just past that "90% done, 90% to go" phase I feel)
  • Sculpt legs and arm for LAV driver in Project: Midnight Raid
  • Build M1A2 for Project: Midnight Raid
  • Figure out how I'll be getting metal gnolls into tiny tanks!
  • Paint Police/Telephone Box as well as Anirion (possibly for Reaper Challenge League - I'll at least claim them)
  • Fill gaps on Rauthuros, and then prime him for hubby

I might have more later, but for now, those are the big ones that come to mind

For a month that my attentions wound up going elsewhere for various reasons (various errands, research, watching of some shows, playing of games, and also working on gunpla), I'm happy enough with having achieved "only" 1.5 goals.  I say one and a half because while the LAV-III is close, there's at least one more coat to go before I can say it's ready to move further along to where I feel it will be "ready" to move onto other things (not gonna lie, kinda looking forward to weathering and all that).

I really do want to get Queen of Hell finished up, but we shall see how everything goes.  One of the biggest projects I wound up working and contemplating a LOT about is going to be temporarily set aside, since I really don't feel like overhauling half the living room, as well as most of the bedroom all in one swift motion.  That and there are a few things a fox really, really, REALLY wants to get his paws on.

Really looking forward to clearing up a bit more room on the assembly desk (which is soon to be my entire painting desk) to do some sculpting though.  I want to get those various tasks done, as well as restart work on "Wyrmgear, A Synthetic Image".

• Like 4
On 2/2/2021 at 6:13 AM, Rob Dean said:

Since I haven’t managed to pick up a brush for two months, my goal for February is to PAINT SOMETHING.

And, finally, yesterday I cleared off my desk, unlimbered my travel paint kit, and finished ONE Prince August home cast orc archer.

52FB8946-9107-442B-AEF7-7DC1DB43DAFA.thumb.jpeg.2e91a829c9e65f28b9b98d09707350df.jpeg

6F10C5CA-4181-433F-A1B8-19A00DC73986.thumb.jpeg.04ce0d56c4e3cc20a9ffc9c5c33e5711.jpeg

I don’t even want to think how long this guy has been sitting around since he was primed.  (5-6 years, I think...)

So, painting block broken...?  We’ll see.

• Like 5

As expected February was all about microscale WW2. I found or converted stls for nearly everything the Canadian army and 12th SS had. I printed enough of each of those stls to give me an armoured regiment and infantry regiment plus options for every type of support available. Both forces are 90%+ painted and I'm down to a small handful of things to still print. Could have finished a long time ago but wasn't pushing once I got the core forces done. Also printed a few buildings, pillboxes and sandbag enplacements. Made a lot of simple roads, a few small hills, some trenches and barb wire. We're now playing with fully painted minis and terrain although some of it isn't great. Actually played games every day or two the last couple of weeks. Still have a bunch of things that I'd like to make plus would like more armies but a bit tired of it now so taking things slower. All in all pretty happy with how everything turned out.

• Like 4