Vortex mixers: how fast, how furious?

12 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Drop in a ball baring or something, then try the P3 paints again...

10 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'll second the agitator

Pfft, this isn't my first rodeo, good sirs. Agitators have been in there since the moment I opened them. :poke:

7 hours ago, haldir said:

Yah the P3 metallics are very thick, especially Brass balls. Excellent paints thou.

That's exactly the paint that won't mix well. All the others mix well. And yes, excellent paints (except my Umbral Umber is too thin for that dark of a brown, can't basecoat at all with it).

• Like 1

I've had a LabGenius HS120598DS Mini Vortex Mixer Advanced for 18 months.  I'll run through 20 or so paints through it in one sitting, each about 30s.  I've not had any issues with it to date.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/15/2021 at 10:20 PM, Gadgetman! said:

Drop in a ball baring or something, then try the P3 paints again...

+1.  But make it non-corrosive.  I used cheap metal bearings at first and now have "rusted" ball bearings in those bottles.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

@SparrowMariethat's wonderful!  I have really enjoyed the hell out of mine.  I know one other person in the forum who got one, too abs he's enjoying it as well.  Getting consistent paints made a big difference in laying them down on the minis, but also speeds up how quickly i can go from paint to paint.  Not to mention my arm not being all shook-out.

Thanks for letting me know it worked out.  Stoked for you. 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/5/2021 at 12:04 PM, slimninj4 said:

I just have the Robart Paint Shaker.  Friend gave it to me after he got a vortex.  This still works for me except I have to buy the straps every once in a while as they snap.  This one does 5k shakes a minute.  Much faster than my wrist. 

Don't need the ivory colored straps ... use rubber bands.  You'll figure out how to attach them.  Not as convenient as the issue straps, but work just as well.  And are really cheap and easy to replace.

Edited by Highlander

After reviewing this thread some time ago, I ordered the Intellab mixer.  I've been using it for about 2 months now with wonderful results so far.  More consistent than manual shaking and gets me painting faster.  +1 recommend for anyone that's out looking.

• Like 3