Dude looks like a lady... no, lady looks like a dude.

Got another one in, but still some work to do.

BATTLE REPORT!

This is the new USA Bones material.  I found that the texture of this plastic is really nice to work on.  A bit stiffer, which I prefer akin to the Bones Black more than classic bones.  Cleaning it was not as fun as it seems to shred more than peel away.  It doesn't take well to scraping, but if you're cutting into it, it's fine.  Areas that were difficult were the hands, under the arm, and the staff.  Overall the model was very clean considering how little flash was on it.  Definitely liking this new stuff.  It takes to primer like a dream!  If I listened really carefully I could hear the plastic soaking in the primer.  Love it.  

Wins:

* Stuck to a simplified color scheme - Reds, purples and blues.  The blue turned out a bit too strong and I could have mixed more purple into it, but overall I like the colors.

*  The careful detail around the skin tones was fun.  Used same skin tones with more highlight than I did with Jakob.  As 'mannish' as the skin looks, I still think the blend and learning to use the new colors was the win.  

*  Sticking to layers in cape and blending a wet purple into the red was really fun.  Learned that next time should be purple as the base and blend in red as the higher color.  Purple gets lost in red.  Yet the color blend looks pretty cool!

*  Being more careful in the detail on the hands and only doing topical highlights was really effective.

*  Coloring copper base layer with red first then topping with metallic copper worked well!

* Using white to bring out edge-highlight of the gem in her scepter worked cool, too.

Misses:

*  Dude looks like a lady.  Or vice versa.  Her skin and face resemble more man-like detail.  I'll have to work on the colors.

*  Eye details had a very raccoon look to them, so I had to go back in with a 2nd highlight.  Glad Idid it, but really made me feel like it was going to lead to a mistake.

*  Hair is still a big area of opportunity for me.  I did it better this time, but finding the areas that light hits it and bringing them out is still a big struggle.

*  I couldn't figure out how to make the belted area and all those straps stand out.  HELP!

*  The sword...what the heck do I do to help make those two metals work better together.  As I mentioned in my other works, I need to figure out how to NMM.  

*  Runes on scabbard look more like an afterthought than a purposeful move.  Bah.

Always open to feedback and thoughts.  Lay em on me.

20210206_133346.jpg

20210206_133546.jpg

• Like 11

Very nice! Lot of props to you on this, your painting is coming along at a fast pace. I don't think I've ever asked, when exactly did you start painting? You've got good brush control (I'm specifically noting that edge-highlight on the corset, from the pics it looks very uniform).

I'd agree with you on the skin, depending on the look you are going for. She's a bit reddish looking, which gives her a harsher look. Eh, you live you learn.

3 hours ago, R2ED said:

*  I couldn't figure out how to make the belted area and all those straps stand out.  HELP!

I really wouldn't worry too much about it, it looks good. If you wanted to, switch the colors of the belts/straps with the color of the pouch/bag. That way you'd get the dark brown away from the dark red of the robes, and have a light color up against it. Might pop more. And then the bag would now be the darker brown, but up against the lighter brown of the straps it should also stand out. Could also paint the grip/wrap on her staff the same dark brown, to set it off from the lighter color of the rest of the staff (I think that's a wrap on the staff?).

Only other thing I'd bring up to consider is the red crystal on the staff. Now, keeping in mind that I'm far from an expert painter, how would you feel about making that crystal the same shade of blue as the scabbard and the sword handle? You've already got a lot of that shade of red on the figure from the robes, so the crystal kind of gets lost in it all. But by making it blue, it would stand out more, and also balance the blue composition on the figure. You've got blue on the bottom half of the figure, on the scabbard and handle, but none on the upper half; the eye gets drawn to the blue because it isn't balanced, and makes it a focal point instead of all the nice work you did everywhere else. Or possibly make the white flowers in her hair blue instead of changing the crystal (though the crystal is viewable from the front and back, where the scabbard is primarily visible). Something to think about.

I like it regardless. Your mini, paint it your way (cuz you are doing a good job!).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@ManvsMiniHmmmm. Good stuff to think about.  I thought i was done, but i may have to light that crystal up blue now.  If i can source light on that staff, that'd be rad too.  Sigh..work is never done. 

As for the belt, i thought about using some liner and using it to show separation. I am too far in to change her colors in a critical area.  But i think you're right on the lighter color. 

The staff colors don't show in the light real well.  It's orange, copper, tan, and red.  I tried to bring out the straps, but you might be right in changing this darker.  Might hit them with some agrax.  #cheating

To your question when i started painting.  I picked this up when i was in 6th grade.   Did it for a couple years then got too far into sports and girls, and both frowned on the hobby back in the early 90's. I was not so good then, but also didn't have a mentor and internet wasn't really a thing.   Fast forward to 2020 and covid forcing me to be shut in like Howard Hughs, i needed a means to keep myself busy.  It's been about and since June i bought new paints and minis.  Oh how i missed it.  Having resources a plenty I've been like a sponge for getting better.  I can feel the improvements each week, but some faster than others.  I can't complain because it's still so new to me.   Anyway, the thing i keep trying to do is get better and push myself with things I'm not comfortable with in order to break through.   You can see in most of my posts in asking, genuinely seeking people to give me ideas is important to me - all to improve. 

Thankfully my job has been kept intact through Covid. I've been at home being Dad, Teacher, and Employee all at once which has been really tough.  But good news in getting to take all that gas money,  day care, dry cleaning, lunches, and all the daily expenses that add up and reinvesting it into something that keeps me sane and making progress. I'm a social butterfly and being in a at-home capacity has felt less like my wings getting clipped and more like being reverted back to a caterpillar.   This forum has made for some good healing to get me back and flying... in one way or another. 

Good times. 

• Like 4

Hey @R2ED happy to read and to see you are getting better on painting :) You did a good job here ;)

10 hours ago, R2ED said:

*  Dude looks like a lady.  Or vice versa.  Her skin and face resemble more man-like detail.  I'll have to work on the colors.

*  Eye details had a very raccoon look to them, so I had to go back in with a 2nd highlight.  Glad Idid it, but really made me feel like it was going to lead to a mistake.

*  Hair is still a big area of opportunity for me.  I did it better this time, but finding the areas that light hits it and bringing them out is still a big struggle.

*  The sword...what the heck do I do to help make those two metals work better together.  As I mentioned in my other works, I need to figure out how to NMM.  

*  Runes on scabbard look more like an afterthought than a purposeful move.  Bah.

* She looks like a Lady to me, what you lack here is contrast. Just push some more the skin, adding a bit of sunny skintone to the base (sorry I do not own many Reaper paints so don't know the actual name of sunny skintone in the Reaper range);

* The eyes are prefect the way you painted it;

* Hair are some kind of different when you have to paint it: people always tries to paint each strand but it's better to paint it as a single piece adding shadows and highlight the same way of NMM (so High contrast with deep shadows and bright reflections) then you may pick-up some strand with a couple of quick vertical strokes using the hi-light color);

* Just add a bit of Ice yellow (again you have to find the same Reaper color) to the base color and use the mix to hi-light the edges of each straps; also try to paint the buckles with a bright metal to make them stand-out;

* Use a dark liner (brown liner), dilute it 3/1, with the point of the brush try to shade each rune; add silver to the gold base and gently pick-out each rune and the edges;

* Runes on the scabbard are a win.

Also follow @ManvsMini advice, if you paint the gem blue the mini will look better.

Once you are done with these, you'll probably note than the rest of the mini will look dark: just add some more hi-lights to the dress if needed :)

Edited by Cicciopiu
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

@ManvsMini which sword?  This one Lysette is holding or my other problem child with Jakob?  

If you're referring to her sword, I originally laid down a red color, then went over it with copper.  Used a yellow color to dry brush and bring out the runes on it. Not super pleased, but it's okay.

My main focus in going back to touch her up was the face.  Then with your suggestions I put time into going back and changing the staff - blue gem (agreed, way better!)  and the wrap giving it a darker look to pull contrast.  

Oh! And the other thing i did was added black line between the belt straps. I think it helped show separation. 

She's done. If I touch it again it's going to be diminishing returns.  Now to basing...

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 2