NMM. It's time to not shire away from it

I need some help people.  I've got a hobbit down to the last 25% to get the painting done.  

I need to try my hand at nmm and this is the one.  Sting is a magnificent sword that glows blue when goblins are near.  I need some guidance on how to make this happen. 

Give me some inspiration, folks. 

20210206_174350.jpg

20210206_174358.jpg

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 9
10 hours ago, R2ED said:

Sting is a magnificent sword that glows blue when goblins are near

So you want it to looks like a power sword? Have a look at JuanHidalgo Miniatures YouTube page the video is "How to Paint - Blue Power Sword".

• Like 3

Depending on the effect you are looking for, maybe you don't need to do NMM on this sword but rather look into OSL. (I'm no help here as I've never tried OSL myself though.) In that case the sword would basically just look like a fluorescent blue glowing stick, the challenge would be to paint the reflected light on the hobbit.

I learned a lot from Vince Venturella's "hobby cheating" channel on YouTube, but I haven't watched the OSL episode yet. He also has another episode specifically about reflected light.

• Like 3

Upon further thought, i think you might be right.  Osl is the way to go.   Dang.  This may be a bigger endeavor than i hoped for.  Airtight, here goes OSL. wish me luck. 

• Like 1

I couldn't convince myself to possibly mess up the clothing.   I wimped out and went with glowing effect radiating from within the blade.  First attempt not bad and not great.  I think using one color of blue and raising the color would have been better than 2 blues.  Oh well. 

Sting still gets the "point" across. 

Next. Basing. 

IMG_20210207_121014_576.jpg

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 7

I’m a bit late, it seems... Just found out: On the Reaper webpage there’s a “crafts” section. In the “Dungeon Dwellers” subsection there are a lot of free painting guides - one of which happens to be for a halfling with a glowing blue sword...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You don't necessarily have to put the blue glow on the halfling's clothing to give the impression of a glow.  If you increase the saturation of the blue a lot  and brighten up the white center it will convey that illusion, because the colour is so intense compared to the rest of the figure . I recommend using Reaper's Surf Aqua.  Paint a ring with that colour between the white that you already have and the first blue ring.  Then paint it again a couple of times to increase the blue intensity.  Then reapply the white node in the centre of the light several times to make it super bright . It will start to look like a glow after a few coats. 

Here is an example done with this colour:

image.png.a4b283b2d99ec6d9869cd12aa3871d02.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Uhm... first off, dayum!  I love that cape you free handed.  The sword is awesome too.  There's a lot i could learn from just that photo alone.  I'll get another shot at some glowing swords.  I'll give it another swing.

• Like 4

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.