Taking classes - how?

Samedi

Hi,

I've just checked out the class schedule for the Virtual Expo. This is really exciting and I'd love to take a few! But I have absolutely zero experience with anything online, social media and whatnot - this forum is all that I know in the world of virtual interaction. ::(:

Sporadically I have a nightmare where I dream that the new school semester starts and I don't know where my classes are and how I find them - this feels exactly like it.

So please help me - I'm lost. Where can I find the classes? How can I join? What do I need in terms of hardware and software? How does it all work?

Thanks a lot!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The class schedule is here:  https://www.reapervirtual.com/class-grid   If you see something you like, click on the text and it will take you to the registration page.  Very simple, just fill it in.

You will need to get Zoom.  You do not need a camera for this, but you will need a relatively recent computer (say within the last 5 years or so).  For this format, since only one camera will be live (the instructor) it is possible to run it on an older bit of hardware (like my 8 year old laptop) without problems.  It tends to choke with more than one camera, though.  

Most of the RVE action will be happening on the RVE discord. 

You can also join the regular Reaper discord. https://discord.gg/sSbVPdS

Once you're registered you will get a zoom link for your class, and when it's time to join just click on that and follow whatever instructions are provided.  That link should remain available on the class schedule on the RVE site.

If you find that you have free time and there's a class you would like to take but haven't signed up for, you should be able to just drop in on it with no problem.  We're not likely to hit the very large capacity of the Zoom room, so there should be space.  Signing up beforehand for classes you do want is recommended, and also helps us get good numbers on interest and participation.

That should cover the basics, and there will be lots of people on deck to help you get where you're going, all set up, and having fun!  It's all pretty simple stuff, but doing it for the first time can leave a person feeling a bit lost (I know, because it was all gibberish to me the first time we did it).  

I'm going to tag @Reaper_Jon so that when he comes by he can make sure I didn't leave out anything you should know.  

Edited by buglips*the*goblin
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Buglips covered it well.  Only thing I have slight doubt about is the need for a relatively recent pc.  I have no issues using Zoom on a laptop that is over ten years old (admittedly one with an Intel I7 processor and lots of memory).  I haven't done any research but suspect any PC running Windows 10 should be fine.

Also, zoom will run on platforms other than pc but I haven't tried to do so.

Edit - adding link to Zoom system requirements

https://support.zoom.us/hc/en-us/articles/201362023-System-requirements-for-Windows-macOS-and-Linux#h_a79491c9-bcd0-4ce5-97a2-3739971edf59

Edited by ferret
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cool, my wife is using Zoom for all her virtual meetings, she can help set me up and teach me the basics. So this should work out fine.

Thanks for your help, looking forward to some night shifts with you (since I'll join from Switzerland)! ::):

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The last one was a great time, so now that we have a better idea of how to do it then this RVE should be even better!  

Also, if you should miss a class then it will be handy for you to know that this year all of the classes will be recorded and available for viewing later on Reaper's youtube channel here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/ReaperMiniOfficial

• Like 3