Lucille - Pit Fiend & Sophie 2018

Wow!  Nice unexpected choice of colors, with the juxtaposition of cold and hot.

I like the textured brushwork on the metal, the variation of hot colors in the runes and details of the weapon, and the smoothness of the blends on the wings.

Your WIP thread says you were going to do object source lighting from the ground, and I think that's a good call -- getting those fiery oranges to contrast with the cool blue and the dark metal.  I think I see some OSL in the photos, but it seems to be getting lost in the shadows cast by your strong overhead light.  On the advice of Anne Foerster years ago, I set up my photo area with 3 lights: 1 on top, 1 at low-left, and 1 at low-right.  The side lights go into my painted shadows so they aren't swamped by the real shadows of a strong top light. 

Also, I find that I have to take my OSL or NMM-reflections a step or two lighter when they are in the lower areas of a figure.  I haven't tried painting orange OSL on a light-blue object.  I imagine that it would be a challenge.  On the cylindrical tail, I would probably want to have a dark core-shadow along the midline, with light-blue above and a slightly drab orange (orange light on a pale-blue object) below.

Anyway, thanks for sharing!

I look forward to seeing what you do next.

Derek

• Like 3

Thanks!

First off I have to say that my color choices are basically a copy of the official painting of this model, so I can't take credit.  

For the OSL, as soon as I posted saying I was done, I continued and pushed the lighting a lot further. Getting there with the metal, but warm on blue is very WIP.IMG_4613.thumb.jpg.9a07d41759f8e6dc92e556acee4a373a.jpg

And yes, my photos are not good.  

• Like 4
On 2/15/2021 at 1:07 PM, Szharvid said:

For the OSL, as soon as I posted saying I was done, I continued and pushed the lighting a lot further. Getting there with the metal, but warm on blue is very WIP.

This looks even more incredible!  I was just thinking how I wished you'd pushed some of that OSL up on to the blue in the first photo.  Glad to see you're doing that!

• Like 1