Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Ma’at

Spray paint for upcoming pirate ship

With the upcoming gigantic pirate ship, I’m beginning to look for a flat black spray primer or paint that adheres to (and dries) on plastics. Because the ship is so large, it doesn’t make sense to prime it and then paint it with acrylic.

I’ve had bad luck with spray paints on plastics in the past. One can that promised to be formulated for plastics never dried and ruined a model. 

Any suggestions?

• Like 1

I would highly recommend not using a spray from a can. Bones have a notorious reputation of getting sticky with spray primers. I would suggest either a large brush and a brush-on primer or an air brush primer either brushed or sprayed on.

Vallejo makes a good primer that comes in big bottles (200 ml or a little over 6.5 oz) for about $20 a price. I hear good things about Stynlyrez from Badger as well. I know Reaper makes a brush on primer but for something that big I'd go with something else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Mr. Ma’at said:

With the upcoming gigantic pirate ship, I’m beginning to look for a flat black spray primer or paint that adheres to (and dries) on plastics. Because the ship is so large, it doesn’t make sense to prime it and then paint it with acrylic.

I’ve had bad luck with spray paints on plastics in the past. One can that promised to be formulated for plastics never dried and ruined a model. 

Any suggestions?

4 hours ago, SparrowMarie said:

I would highly recommend not using a spray from a can. Bones have a notorious reputation of getting sticky with spray primers. I would suggest either a large brush and a brush-on primer or an air brush primer either brushed or sprayed on.

Vallejo makes a good primer that comes in big bottles (200 ml or a little over 6.5 oz) for about $20 a price. I hear good things about Stynlyrez from Badger as well. I know Reaper makes a brush on primer but for something that big I'd go with something else.

I agree with Sparrowmarie.

My recommendation is the big Vallejo Brush On Primer White and mix it with a few drops from a bottle of Vallejo Israeli Sands ( also a primer) it will give a nice consistent grey primer.

I've used it on Bones and it works like a charm.

Before priming, wash the ship in lukewarm water with a little dish soap and let it dry.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mr. Ma’at said:

Because the ship is so large, it doesn’t make sense to prime it and then paint it with acrylic.

To me, it makes more sense to prime it because it is so large; greater chance of dinging it or chipping paint.

There's always the Army Painter colored spray primers. I've never used them, but by past reports they work well with Bones (unless AP has changed their formula, anyone can feel free to correct me if so).

• Like 4

if you have an airbrush the Stynlyrez from Badger work great on bones and come in many colors.  This is what I used on the barge and on Baba Yaga's hut.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mr. Ma’at said:

Duplicolor sandable auto primer. Comes in white, grey, and black.  You'll find it at auto parts stores. 

Practice on some bones models you don't care about because it is very easy to screw this up.  You must spray it very lightly from a foot or more away.  You want it to mist over the figure, not completely plaster the surface.  The plastic will be slightly tacky for a few days but you can paint over it.  Keep it away from kids, pets, and don't drop it on the carpet because crud will stick to it.  Best if you have a garage or workshop where you can leave it to cure.

I've been doing this since Bones 1 came out in 2013 and haven't ruined one yet. Everyone else will tell you to avoid using spray primer.  You will most certainly ruin a few test pieces before you get the hang of it.  Remember, you do not want full coverage. You want it to cover like a playboy model's negligee, just barely there. 

Reaper does not recommend spray primer and neither will most people on this board.  

• Like 3

I  had problems with using Vallejo Surface Primer on large models.  It went on fine but did not adhere well and came off with normal handling of the model.  I have had much better results with Badger Stynlytez Primer and with Vallejo Mecha Primer (both by airbrush and as brush on).

As far as rattle cans go, i use Army Painter Colour Primers on Bones with no problems.

I suggest you check out the Bones First Coat thread by @Wren in the Reaper Product Lines section of this forum.  It includes a list of the spray on primer cans that people seem to find ok and those with reported problems.  

Edited by ferret
  • Like 3

I second the recommendation of stynelrez. I have recently converted to using it.  It brushes on pretty smooth. Its what i plan on using when i get the Bones 5 ship.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hibou said:

I second the recommendation of stynelrez. I have recently converted to using it.  It brushes on pretty smooth. Its what i plan on using when i get the Bones 5 ship.  

Stynylrez is by far my favorite primer because it seems to outperform all of the other brush on primers I have tried. I've been scared to dive into airbrushing but with the arrival of Bones 5 looming I'm beginning to feel like it might be necessary, especially with the pirate ship... I bought a rattlecan of army painter white for zenithal highlighting, but I have yet to try it out.

• Like 1

Reaper Brown Liner 9064 through an airbrush, you shouldn't even have to thin it. Good dark brown color for a sailing ship, too.

If you don't have an airbrush, I have had good results mixing brown liner and Reaper Brush-on Primer 9108 for large model brush applications; just be aware the primer is a bit smelly and the resulting color is more lavender than beige, strangely.

Oh, and in my experience the Army Painter white spray primer can get tacky on Bones. So far no issues with Army Painter Black spray or brown.

• Like 2

II know bones don't technically have to be primed, but I've been using Stynylrez for Zenithal under coating without any issues on bones.  I wouldn't risk any aerosol can of any sort on the ship.  I understand why you'd want to for the speed but for the cost of the ship I'd hate to see anyone ruin it because of a bad reaction.

If you have an airbrush with a large needle/nozzle you could get the best of both worlds.

• Like 3

Didn't someone (maybe @OneBoot) experiment with diluting the liner in a quantity of water and then "soaking" Bones in it?  That could help with such large sections.

I thought the experiment ended well, but I'm not 100% certain of it.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, strawhat said:

Didn't someone (maybe @OneBoot) experiment with diluting the liner in a quantity of water and then "soaking" Bones in it?  That could help with such large sections.

I know @TaleSpinner did a baggie toss a few years ago.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/15/2021 at 9:55 AM, strawhat said:

10 hours ago, haldir said:

I know @TaleSpinner did a baggie toss a few years ago.

I never soaked Bones in it; @haldir remembers correctly. TaleSpinner showed me how he prepped all his class minis for ReaperCon: thin liner down some (I think it was 1 part water to 3 parts liner? I don't actually remember), toss the mix plus the cleaned Bones into a gallon ziplock bag, close the top securely then shake like crazy for a couple minutes. Highly recommend double-bagging or wrapping it in a towel you don't care about, because all the pointy bits WILL poke holes in the baggie and make a big mess.

The coverage won't be completely even, but it will cover the bulk of the areas so you just need to touch up missed areas with a brush. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1