Hello all,

I am making this post for several reasons. In my search for players, I have discovered a, I am not sure what word to really use, anyway, I want to start a discussion about GURPS that may lead to a game of GURPS. If you have never played GURPS that is ok. I want this discussion to include anyone who wants to be in on it. So, if you have questions comments please feel free to post them. 

I feel in love with the GURPS system a few years ago. Up until that time I had been a die hard retro clone fan, now I still am a fan of the old retro clones, but I always felt that they were missing something. Now I had looked at GURPS in the past and I had dismissed it, because of all the books, that I thought I HAD to buy. I have been fairly poor in the past and I had to deal mostly with free stuff. A few years ago a member of our forums started to recruit for a GURPS game. That game never went anywhere, but I took the plunge and the deeper around the rabbit hole I went, the more I wanted. I have my kids playing in a fantasy game and my two youngest have been playing a Traveller game. This is what I have come to love about GURPS. I can run any setting that I can think of or even desire to run and as long as you have the basics and maybe a source book, you are good. 

Ok. enough of my rambling, what say you?

• Like 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GURPS was the first non-D&D RPG I played, way back in high school, so twenty years and change. I liked the idea of it, being able to do anything you want. We briefly had a campaign based around Hi

once you learn the rules, you can do a lot with the system.  I think the biggest failing of the system is that its hard for a group that doesn't have anyone who knows the system well to get involved w

I really like the Gurps source books, it doesn't matter what you play,most of the support for creating atmosphere and play rules work regardless.  I also love the master spell book!   Part o

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

I have my kids playing in a fantasy game and my two youngest have been playing a Traveller game. This is what I have come to love about GURPS. I can run any setting that I can think of or even desire to run and as long as you have the basics and maybe a source book, you are good. 

I'm not in love with the system, but I agree that it is very versatile.  You can run whatever you want, with as many rules as you want.  Dungeon Fantasy is a nice rules-light game for when you just want to sit down and play and not do multiple character generating sessions.  OTOH you can you can get very involved in number crunching advantages and buying splatbooks if that is your thing.  And nearly everything has been converted to PDF, so it is all available, even the magazines, for a reasonable cost.  The only hardcover books we bought were the Basic Set Characters book. 

My group has been playing about 4 years now, doing supers, fantasy, Traveller, technomancer, kung-fu and supernatural horror games.  It's great being able to change genres and not have to learn a new rules set each time.  Too bad more people don't play it. 

Edited by Inarah
  • Like 2

Yeah I bought the Basic set, both as books and as PDFs. shhh do not tell the wife. She is not a fan of buying double. I have several of the books, I did buy the two discs for all of the Traveller books, because I do like that setting quite a bit. I also just purchased a lot of 6 books on ebay. 

Not a huge fan of GURPS - with exceptions.

But those exceptions....

GURPS Goblins - Edwardian goblins in the big city.

Gurps Traveller - I fell in love with it when I read the blurb for the advertisement -

"Free Trader Beowulf...
Come in, Free Trader Beowulf... Can you hear me?
Come in, Free Trader Beowulf...
...hang in there, Beowulf, help is on the way!"

And GURPS... does feel a lot like the original Traveller system. (But with a way to advance your character in game!)

And, of course, GURPS Discworld.

The Auld Grump
  • Like 1
25 minutes ago, TheAuldGrump said:

But those exceptions....

Gurps Traveller - I fell in love with it when I read the blurb for the advertisement -

"Free Trader Beowulf...

And GURPS... does feel a lot like the original Traveller system. (But with a way to advance your character in game!)

The Auld Grump

I think I have that book.

GURPS isn't one of my favorite systems; I give it credit for flex, but I don't care for the bloat.

That said, I'd probably play it if somebody was running something I wanted to play; I'm not that picky. ^^;

• Like 1

As far as universal/generic gaming systems go, Savage Worlds is my master now (that and I have tons of PDF source books from the last edition's Kickstarter).

But I do remember appreciating GURPS for it too had tons of settings and source books in the 90s and early 2000s.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

As far as universal/generic gaming systems go, Savage Worlds is my master now (that and I have tons of PDF source books from the last edition's Kickstarter).

But I do remember appreciating GURPS for it too had tons of settings and source books in the 90s and early 2000s.

Savage Worlds is my go to system now as well.  I think I played GURPS once in college, don't really remember it that well. 

13 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

But those exceptions....

"Free Trader Beowulf...

The Auld Grump

12 hours ago, Sylverthorne said:

I think I have that book.

GURPS isn't one of my favorite systems; I give it credit for flex, but I don't care for the bloat.

That said, I'd probably play it if somebody was running something I wanted to play; I'm not that picky. ^^;

12 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

2 hours ago, Citrine said:

Savage Worlds is my go to system now as well.  I think I played GURPS once in college, don't really remember it that well. 

I am not so in love with the system that I can not see why some people do not like it, either at all or a little. it is a system that has a lot to it and does 'scare' off a lot of players because of the sheer chore it can be to make a character and the amount of books for the game. I like the fact that SJ Games has out out a 'lite' version to try to help get players into the game, however I do find it lacking and still a bit overwhelming to new players.

I tried to get into the old Traveller rules and I did like them, but I just found it difficult for me, and nothing which I could place my figner on. I like the GURPS Traveller so much that I bought the two CDs that have all of the books on them. I love the Traveller setting, but I know I do not do it justice. I have been running a game with my two youngest set in the Traveller verse. I have been running a modified Flare Star adventure, which is a set adventure set in to the Traveller universe.  I have tons of background of running a fantasy game, but nothing else. That is why I have been trying to run a Traveller game or even a Fallout style game. 

I love the Discworld novels and would love to get my hands on the GURPS book, however I have yet to purchase the PDF, but it is on my short list. I have to put off buying it a bit longer as I just made a purchase on bay of e for a 6 book lot. I do like to pay more than $10 for one of the old source books and yes at some point I will buy them in PDF form. WHile I enjoy the PDFs, because I can take them with me... even when I go to work... hehehehe, I find it hard to read them sometimes. I do enjoy the feel and smell of the books, but even then sometimes I find it difficult to sit down and just read. 

• Like 2

Traveller is just massive.  I mean when the universe is your campaign setting you can do anything, and it gets overwhelming fast. 

I do like a hardcover book, but we have simply run out of room and desire to buy more. We bought a number of great rpgs over the years that people around us did not want to play.  I can't justify a $30-50 rulebook on a whim any more. 

I like Savage Worlds, but rarely get to play it.  I used to only see it at GenCon.  Once in a while someone runs a game at a local con. 

• Like 2

Yeah there is alot to Traveller. I am overwhelmed, but I am trying to take it slow. Plus My wife wants to buy a new printer... so printing books may be earier.... She has found one that says it will do a lot of printing.... too bad for her i could go throught the ink in less than a week......MAHAHAHAHAHA

• Like 1

Here is a list of the books I do own;

4th Edition

Basic Set both Characters and Campaigns

Fantasy

Magic

Ultra Tech

Spaceships

Tactical Shooting

3rd Edition

Swashbucklers

Wizards

Warriors

Fantasy

All-Star Jam 2004

Reign of Steel

IST

Supers

Alien Races 1-3

I just ordered 6 'new' books from the Bay of E

Aztec

Greece

Imperial Rome

Fantasy Folks

Grimoire

Magic 3rd edition

My PDF collection is a little more extensive as I have the 2 CDs of all the Traveller books. In addition to all of the 'free' PDFs from SJ Games. I have the following

City Stats

Harkwood

After the End 2

Low Tech

GM Screen

I also have two PDFs that are fan made, but are two of the ones I treasure the most, GURPS hammer and GURPS Fallout.

I hope to increase my collection in the years to come, but I have slowed down as only my kids are playing in my fantasy world and while there are some other books that I want to include, there is not a high demand for it. Also I have my two youngest playing a modified Flare Star, the adventure for Traveller, but as stated above there is ALOT to Traveller and I have a hard time sitting reading. I can do it, but some times it is better with a physical book, sometimes not and again not really a high demand that I do so. 

• Like 1
52 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

So what books do you own? 

Unfortunately, none anymore...     :down:

I had to sell them off about fifteen years ago when I hit a bad financial patch...  I believe I used to have the 3rd Ed. of the basic rulebook, the 2nd ed.'s of Supers, Psionics, Magic, and Martial Arts, then I had the Grimoire, Robots, Black Ops, Spec Ops, Fantasy, and maybe one or two others.

I pretty much just spent hours and hours making up comic book-style characters for my own mental universe...

• Like 2
2 minutes ago, Mad Jack said:

Unfortunately, none anymore...     :down:

I had to sell them off about fifteen years ago when I hit a bad financial patch...  I believe I used to have the 3rd Ed. of the basic rulebook, the 2nd ed.'s of Supers, Psionics, Magic, and Martial Arts, then I had the Grimoire, Robots, Black Ops, Spec Ops, Fantasy, and maybe one or two others.

I pretty much just spent hours and hours making up comic book-style characters for my own mental universe...

I understand the needing money, but it is sad when you have to sell a collection, because you need the money. 

• Like 2