Yeah, the Great Sell Out (Which was followed the next year by GSO II) also saw me dumping a fairly sizeable collection of original World of Darkness stuff, both Vampire and Werewolf, as well as most of my Reaper minis...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GURPS was the first non-D&D RPG I played, way back in high school, so twenty years and change. I liked the idea of it, being able to do anything you want. We briefly had a campaign based around Hi

once you learn the rules, you can do a lot with the system.  I think the biggest failing of the system is that its hard for a group that doesn't have anyone who knows the system well to get involved w

I really like the Gurps source books, it doesn't matter what you play,most of the support for creating atmosphere and play rules work regardless.  I also love the master spell book!   Part o

Posted Images

On 2/15/2021 at 10:13 AM, Colonel Kane said:

I love the Discworld novels and would love to get my hands on the GURPS book, however I have yet to purchase the PDF, but it is on my short list. I have to put off buying it a bit longer as I just made a purchase on bay of e for a 6 book lot. I do like to pay more than $10 for one of the old source books and yes at some point I will buy them 

Interesting.... I have avoided GURPS in part because I am intimidated by the sheer volume of the rules and the apparent complexity of PC creation.  I see Discworld is a stand alone game presented in a single book of about 300 pages.  I assume it simplifies PC creation and leaves out GURPS rules that are not needed for the setting,  I wonder if it might be a good way to try GURPS for about half the cost of the core rules and without being totally overwhelmed.

It may be worth considering if I can find someone player willing to give it a go or better yet find someone able to GM a GURPS game.

On 2/14/2021 at 9:24 PM, TheAuldGrump said:

Not a huge fan of GURPS - with exceptions.

But those exceptions....

GURPS Goblins - Edwardian goblins in the big city.

Gurps Traveller - I fell in love with it when I read the blurb for the advertisement -

"Free Trader Beowulf...
Come in, Free Trader Beowulf... Can you hear me?
Come in, Free Trader Beowulf...
...hang in there, Beowulf, help is on the way!"

And GURPS... does feel a lot like the original Traveller system. (But with a way to advance your character in game!)

And, of course, GURPS Discworld.

The Auld Grump

In the interest of honesty, i like Traveller Mongoose edition (4th ed) for the actual traveller universe.  It offers a good and flexible rules system for space travel and can be as small or as huge as you want it to be.  the rules for trading and mercantile systems means you can play the trader bringing the trappings of civilization to the edge of the galaxy, the limited communication makes being a pirate or a desparate thief just one step beyond the law a reality, or you can take the classic route of actually exploring sites and planets for a patreon or in the hope of a little grave robbing.  and all of these rules have handwavy or crunchy settings depending on how much you want them to influence your game.

GURPS OTOH, takes some getting used to.  I cannot find the handwavy settings, which makes the game very crunchy.  Some groups really like that aspect, and when i am playing with them the details can be a lot of fun.  Most groups though want their system to be more fluffy and epic.  I could not bring GURPS to my current home game because I would spend too much time having to navigate the rules rather than playing the game. 

gurps has its place and it can be fun, although i am on my third character and i am still learning how to build them with any success and the bolt ons are a little to broad.  to make the system work you need most of the crunchy bits for that genera.  It is a universal system and its not going to let you forget it!  but i have been playing for a while now with a remote group and it does work and it does fill the need for a good rule system to tell a story in.

I don't know if i would ever want to run something in that ruleset though,  Kudos to the GMs in my group, Just keeping the character up and running can take a lot of bandwidth, i am not sure how much more is involved with stating a whole world (or universe) from the absolute ground up!

• Like 1
On 2/19/2021 at 6:21 PM, ferret said:

Interesting.... I have avoided GURPS in part because I am intimidated by the sheer volume of the rules and the apparent complexity of PC creation.  I see Discworld is a stand alone game presented in a single book of about 300 pages.  I assume it simplifies PC creation and leaves out GURPS rules that are not needed for the setting,  I wonder if it might be a good way to try GURPS for about half the cost of the core rules and without being totally overwhelmed.

It may be worth considering if I can find someone player willing to give it a go or better yet find someone able to GM a GURPS game.

I can not attest to. I do love the setting and that is the main reason for me to want to purchase that source book. 

PC creation yes is a chore, but IMO it is worth it. 

On 2/20/2021 at 8:57 AM, Kangaroorex said:

In the interest of honesty, i like Traveller Mongoose edition (4th ed) for the actual traveller universe.  It offers a good and flexible rules system for space travel and can be as small or as huge as you want it to be.  the rules for trading and mercantile systems means you can play the trader bringing the trappings of civilization to the edge of the galaxy, the limited communication makes being a pirate or a desparate thief just one step beyond the law a reality, or you can take the classic route of actually exploring sites and planets for a patreon or in the hope of a little grave robbing.  and all of these rules have handwavy or crunchy settings depending on how much you want them to influence your game.

GURPS OTOH, takes some getting used to.  I cannot find the handwavy settings, which makes the game very crunchy.  Some groups really like that aspect, and when i am playing with them the details can be a lot of fun.  Most groups though want their system to be more fluffy and epic.  I could not bring GURPS to my current home game because I would spend too much time having to navigate the rules rather than playing the game. 

gurps has its place and it can be fun, although i am on my third character and i am still learning how to build them with any success and the bolt ons are a little to broad.  to make the system work you need most of the crunchy bits for that genera.  It is a universal system and its not going to let you forget it!  but i have been playing for a while now with a remote group and it does work and it does fill the need for a good rule system to tell a story in.

I don't know if i would ever want to run something in that ruleset though,  Kudos to the GMs in my group, Just keeping the character up and running can take a lot of bandwidth, i am not sure how much more is involved with stating a whole world (or universe) from the absolute ground up!

Intimidation and fast talk have become two of the skills I try to take with every character, as it can allow a character to 'get' away with things. 

I had an con man pretending to be a Private Detective in one game. I was working till the game fell apart. 

• Like 2

Character creation uses a points system.  GM assigns a points level for the game and you buy stats, advantages, skills, and spells to build your character.  You can take disads for a few more points and to add interest to your character.  Skills are based on stats, so it makes sense to buy higher Dex if you're playing a fighter or higher IQ for an engineer or a wizard, because you get a points boost to each related skill you buy. 

The game gets crunchy if you buy modifiers. One of our GMs loves that stuff. He will spend all day min-maxxing advantages to get every last point out of the system.  You can build extremely complicated characters that way, but it's not a requirement of play. Personally, I can do without it in most cases. 

The main issue I have with the game is that the rules are not well organized, and very important stuff is added in random places almost as an afterthought.  The writing style is "train of thought" and often wanders.  Some advantages and skills are very detailed, others are brief and vague.  It's frustrating to find things in the rulebook. There are very few examples in the book of how things work.  I made my share of bad choices on my first couple of characters (trying to copy skills from a different game), but I think I've got the hang of it now. 

• Like 3

yeah my first couple of characters were not that good, but I have gotten better. I do not know every rule and likely never will, but I try to have fun. As a D&D player/GM, my first character was a struggle as I was use to having a class, thank goodness I found the templates. Those help considerable. 

One of the guys in high school ran GURPS as his preferred system (after D&D of course). We played mostly superheroes with it but we did venture into some fantasy. Heh, I combined the two & made a minotaur who had wierdness magnet disadvantage & was sucked through a wormhole from a fantasy setting to the superhero setting. He gained superstrength, fast running & growth powers in the process. Hmmm I kinda recall our party now that I mentioned him. One player was a gun/tech guy (pretty much the big guns on the supports from Aliens) he was also the guy with the cash. Anther player was a strength guy but he focused his power into a bow & arrow that used a steel cable for the drawstring. I recall him leaping over a guy & lowering the bow....SLICE!! I can't remember our fourth friend/player but I recall the GM whispering to him like a devil "if you give me your soul, I'll give you power" & he accepted it. Guy was a power mad person in the real life, so no surprise there. Fun times!

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Colonel Kane said:

Yeah, if the GM allows it, there can be some really strange things go on. I am not comfortable enough with the rules to let things all hang out like that. 

I have played in the Infinite Worlds setting a couple of times and things got wacky,  but they were also the most fun games we had. 

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Inarah said:

I have played in the Infinite Worlds setting a couple of times and things got wacky,  but they were also the most fun games we had. 

I have not devled into that one yet, but my youngest son and I have been watching Stargate SG1 and he kind of wants to do a game of that. 

• Like 2
18 hours ago, Inarah said:

The main issue I have with the game is that the rules are not well organized, and very important stuff is added in random places almost as an afterthought.  The writing style is "train of thought" and often wanders.  Some advantages and skills are very detailed, others are brief and vague.  It's frustrating to find things in the rulebook. There are very few examples in the book of how things work.  I made my share of bad choices on my first couple of characters (trying to copy skills from a different game), but I think I've got the hang of it now. 

other than the cruchyness of the rules as written (depending on the GM that can go up and down) this is probably the biggest problem I have with the system.  It took me 3 passes through the rules and campaigns before I figured out, in the main book none the less, that there are limiters that can be built into powers to bring the cost down and make some really expensive powers available for a limited period).  For a new person in the game, it really needs a good development system to tell you how to build and get all the details.

And then there are all the books... this game is not the first to suffer this problem but this one does have it in spades!  Reminds me a lot of the RIFTs system where I had a friend that had all the books and was maybe using 2 or 3 rules from any single book to get what they wanted.  GURPS would make me a lot happier with a really good design instruction manual (if anyone has one of those, let me know) that says hears your powers, heres what you can do to limit and improve them and here is how you can use them.  Same for disavantages, skills and abilities.  I have had a lot of fun playing it, but I wouldn't want to try running it without a lot more experience and I know a number of my players that would take one look at the system and run screaming! :blink:

• Like 2

The only book you truly need is the core characters book. Everything else is optional. Some people see optional books as "Oh my god I'll never be able to read all that" but I see them as "There are a lot of interesting possibilities here".   The beauty of GURPS is that you can run a fantasy campaign from the basic book. And a supers game. And cyberpunk.  And time travel space cops. And noir detectives.  Without ever picking up another volume. 

I don't know what has gotten into "kids these days" that they think they need all the books in order to just play.  It's a mindset I don't understand. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, Inarah said:

The only book you truly need is the core characters book. Everything else is optional. Some people see optional books as "Oh my god I'll never be able to read all that" but I see them as "There are a lot of interesting possibilities here".   The beauty of GURPS is that you can run a fantasy campaign from the basic book. And a supers game. And cyberpunk.  And time travel space cops. And noir detectives.  Without ever picking up another volume. 

I don't know what has gotten into "kids these days" that they think they need all the books in order to just play.  It's a mindset I don't understand. 

Yeah, but the source books do help. I do have a good imagination, but a little help from the source books is always a good thing. 

• Like 1

I've played a couple of brief GURPS games; it's a crunchier system than I like, but you can build some really neat characters. MrBoot loves it, though, and has a lot of the books still. He keeps trying to find ways to integrate it with Pathfinder, but there's a lot between the two systems that isn't really compatible. 

I'll mention this thread to him, he may or may not be interested in joining a remote GURPS game. 

Huzzah! 

--OneBoot :D 

• Like 1