1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Reminds me a lot of the RIFTs system where I had a friend that had all the books and was maybe using 2 or 3 rules from any single book to get what they wanted. 

Friend of mine who GM'd our high school campaign had a rule - your build can only use rules from two books, and one must be the main rulebook.  It was partially to reduce the effects of having to dig through numerous books, but mainly due to running a rules light campaign. 

As for GURPS, I bought the main rulebook decades ago, but found it to be even more confusing than Rifts to try and navigate through.  Seems like a potent system if you can get past the initial learning curve though. 

• Like 1
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

GURPS was the first non-D&D RPG I played, way back in high school, so twenty years and change. I liked the idea of it, being able to do anything you want. We briefly had a campaign based around Hi

once you learn the rules, you can do a lot with the system.  I think the biggest failing of the system is that its hard for a group that doesn't have anyone who knows the system well to get involved w

I really like the Gurps source books, it doesn't matter what you play,most of the support for creating atmosphere and play rules work regardless.  I also love the master spell book!   Part o

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Friend of mine who GM'd our high school campaign had a rule - your build can only use rules from two books, and one must be the main rulebook.  It was partially to reduce the effects of having to dig through numerous books, but mainly due to running a rules light campaign. 

As for GURPS, I bought the main rulebook decades ago, but found it to be even more confusing than Rifts to try and navigate through.  Seems like a potent system if you can get past the initial learning curve though. 

Yeah there is a steep curve, but once you have leaped over that curve, it is cool. 

• Like 2

Hah, we loved GURPS back in the '90s - the highlight game took place in the 30 Years War (yes, really). My character was, well, pretty much a dumber version of The Kurgan. I got around this by saying that he had been kicked in the head by a horse and was taking a while to recover. :lol:

• Like 2

Played GURPS back in the late 80s. I was/am more of a fan of its fantasy predecessor The Fantasy Trip.   TFT has come back to SJGames and been re-released.  It’s a lot of fun if you like more tactical combat.  
    I have many of the various GURPS sourcebooks.  Especially found the GURPS Mystery book a good read.  

8 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

I like a good mystery, but I would use that and the horror book to add to my existing campaign.

I really like the Gurps source books, it doesn't matter what you play,most of the support for creating atmosphere and play rules work regardless.  I also love the master spell book!

Part of my issue is I'm stuck in my ways but in truth, I'm willing to play, I just don't want to run the system.  I can use my incompetence to be a player at least in 1 group!::D:

• Like 4

GURPS was the first non-D&D RPG I played, way back in high school, so twenty years and change. I liked the idea of it, being able to do anything you want. We briefly had a campaign based around Hitchhiker's Guide (don't ask me anything about it, it lasted 2-3 sessions and I wasn't into it that much). However, after that game fell apart, we played a science fiction mercenaries that ended up becoming pirates. I did discover that if you give someone armor that can parry "anything" you better mean it. As the game was ending, one of the characters tried to parry a nuclear blast because the armored cloaks we had could "parry anything." I believe he succeeded but died from radiation poisoning.

I have the GURPS Prime Directive port, two 3rd edition core books, the 4th GM book (couldn't find the Player's Guide), and a smattering of splat books. The one strong thing about GURPS is the source books. Even if you don't play the game, they're so good for information and ideas.

As for the game itself... It's not easy and can bog down quickly. The last time I played, I used the "simple" combat rules from 3rd, as they're relatively easy to grasp.

While it allows you to play anything, it comes at great cost. It's all those rules. You need to explain a lot of different situations to prevent future confusion and to make sure things are balanced. I don't mind clunky or bloated systems, provided they're fun or do what I want them to do. If I'm playing super heroes, I'll take Savage Worlds over GURPS (or HERO for that matter) because it hits my personal sweet spot for rules and fun. If I were to use GURPS, I would probably be very limiting on books and try to make something nothing else could handle. Why? Because, if I'm going to use GURPS, there better be a good reason.

All of that said, if you like GURPS, I won't tell you to stop. Use it if you like it.

523656921_GURPS01.jpg.6f18a03f519893c85a17a275c00e551d.jpg

• Like 5
  • Haha 5

once you learn the rules, you can do a lot with the system.  I think the biggest failing of the system is that its hard for a group that doesn't have anyone who knows the system well to get involved with the system and since there really isn't a lot of campaign/scenario material I have found for it,  it doesn't get a lot of new adherents to the system. Like a number of systems I know, it will always be there and it will always have people  who love it, but they are a relatively closed group and it will never be the next DnD or even CoC but it will never fade away unsupported into the either neither ::P: 

• Like 4
On 2/26/2021 at 11:49 AM, Kangaroorex said:

once you learn the rules, you can do a lot with the system.  I think the biggest failing of the system is that its hard for a group that doesn't have anyone who knows the system well to get involved with the system and since there really isn't a lot of campaign/scenario material I have found for it,  it doesn't get a lot of new adherents to the system. Like a number of systems I know, it will always be there and it will always have people  who love it, but they are a relatively closed group and it will never be the next DnD or even CoC but it will never fade away unsupported into the either neither ::P: 

Yeah it is a fairly closed group, because it is not as popular as D&D and there is a lot of rules to the game. You are right the die hards will not let it die. 

• Like 1

In my kids GURPS Fantasy game, they arrived in a town last night, that some 'thugs' were bothering and my youngest son, playing a wizard, from the College of Jade, used a shape earth spell to form a wall between the thugs and the villagers that were surrounded by the thugs. I keep telling  him to read the spell and try to think of ways to use to his advantage. Well I guess he listened. 

• Like 3

I was looking at Haldir's Starfinder PbP gathering and found where he said that Starfinder suffers from racial glut. I can some what sympathize with him as the GURPS Traveller has 4 books covering alien races plus the Aliens book and I do assume there are other 'hidden' away in other documents. I may have to count them just for my own pleasure. I have been sticking to 'humans' in most of my games, just from the stand point that is what is the easiest for me, but at some point I think I may have to open up  other races, in a fantasy and or a space game. Only problem in my life foe the most part, is I simply do not have the time to read everything and do all the modeling and game playing that I want to do. 

FYI TO ALL:

I have started a PbP in the Gathering. if anyone wats to join they would be welcome. It is a Traveller game, even though I am not the biggest Traveller fan, meaning there is a lot I do not know. 

• 2 weeks later...