Sign in to follow this  
Colonel Kane

GURPS

1 hour ago, Kangaroorex said:

Reminds me a lot of the RIFTs system where I had a friend that had all the books and was maybe using 2 or 3 rules from any single book to get what they wanted. 

Friend of mine who GM'd our high school campaign had a rule - your build can only use rules from two books, and one must be the main rulebook.  It was partially to reduce the effects of having to dig through numerous books, but mainly due to running a rules light campaign. 

As for GURPS, I bought the main rulebook decades ago, but found it to be even more confusing than Rifts to try and navigate through.  Seems like a potent system if you can get past the initial learning curve though. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Friend of mine who GM'd our high school campaign had a rule - your build can only use rules from two books, and one must be the main rulebook.  It was partially to reduce the effects of having to dig through numerous books, but mainly due to running a rules light campaign. 

As for GURPS, I bought the main rulebook decades ago, but found it to be even more confusing than Rifts to try and navigate through.  Seems like a potent system if you can get past the initial learning curve though. 

Yeah there is a steep curve, but once you have leaped over that curve, it is cool. 

• Like 2

Hah, we loved GURPS back in the '90s - the highlight game took place in the 30 Years War (yes, really). My character was, well, pretty much a dumber version of The Kurgan. I got around this by saying that he had been kicked in the head by a horse and was taking a while to recover. :lol:

• Like 2

Played GURPS back in the late 80s. I was/am more of a fan of its fantasy predecessor The Fantasy Trip.   TFT has come back to SJGames and been re-released.  It’s a lot of fun if you like more tactical combat.  
    I have many of the various GURPS sourcebooks.  Especially found the GURPS Mystery book a good read.  

8 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

I like a good mystery, but I would use that and the horror book to add to my existing campaign.

I really like the Gurps source books, it doesn't matter what you play,most of the support for creating atmosphere and play rules work regardless.  I also love the master spell book!

Part of my issue is I'm stuck in my ways but in truth, I'm willing to play, I just don't want to run the system.  I can use my incompetence to be a player at least in 1 group!::D:

• Like 3