Vodellis Winterhand needs some TLC

So I finally bought some green stuff and need to deal with an issue on Vodellis' shoulder pauldron(sp?). It almost looks like the mold segments were slightly misaligned or something because there is a significant "step" down in the middle if the armor plates. Filing down would remove so much of his shoulder I'm sure I'd muck it up. So I decided to try to backfill greenstuff in the recess and smooth it down to match the rest of the pauldron. 

Any tips before I get started?

20210216_092041.jpg

Edited by crowsandbones
  • Like 3

Offset like that is from a misaligned mold.  In my opinion, that is a defective cast.  If you wanted to check, Reaper ought to offer to replace it for you. 

I haven't used any putties for that purpose, so I'll leave it to others to give you hints.  I know people use silicon clay shapers and various small metal sculpting tools with green stuff.  Water can be used to lubricate, though I've heard some use vaseline. 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, Glitterwolf said:

No shoulder pads in your bit box?

Maybe from a plastic space marine?

You could use it to sculpt over it or use it directly?

No extra shoulder bits. Gonna have to adapt & overcome. It's all good, I like a challenge.

• Like 3

The one thing to remember is blending your edges - that's the key to making it look good. A nice smooth blend on the edges will make any modifications invisible once they're painted over.

The key to good blending is lots of lubrication and using almost non-existent pressure on your blending tool.

Also, turn your figure and check it from every angle as you're working to constantly to make sure you've got the correct curve on the surface of the pauldron.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Mad Jack said:

The one thing to remember is blending your edges - that's the key to making it look good. A nice smooth blend on the edges will make any modifications invisible once they're painted over.

The key to good blending is lots of lubrication and using almost non-existent pressure on your blending tool.

Also, turn your figure and check it from every angle as you're working to constantly to make sure you've got the correct curve on the surface of the pauldron.

Thanks for the tips! I really appreciate it!

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry I missed your post until now, but here are some thoughts from a painter and sculptor who still uses Green Stuff:

Yes, this is "shift", where the 2 halves of the mold got out of alignment. 

It is more common with old molds that have gone through the spin-caster many times, but it sometimes happens with newer ones.

In case you haven't done it yet -- or you want to do your next one better:

A) I usually reduce a shift-step like this somewhat by cutting down the high side, before I fill/patch over it.

B) You don't have to use 1-to-1 proportions when you mix Green Stuff. 

The yellow and the blue parts have different consistencies, and you can make your green mix more like one "parent" or the other by varying the proportions:

Using more yellow (like 3:2) will give you a lighter-colored mix that is better for fine details and blending at the edges, though it is more difficult to make smooth.

Using more blue will give you a darker-/bluer-colored mix that pulls back into itself for more rounded shapes -- better for bulking and massing.

C) If the Greenstuff refuses to be smooth when you're working it (the 2 hours after you mix it), let it fully cure and harden (24 hours) and then use a very sharp knife/scalpel to slice or scrape it smooth.

D) If the surface still isn't as smooth as you like, paint brush-on gloss sealer over the rough spots.  It fills pockmarks and divots and forms a self-leveling surface.  A few coats of gloss sealer can fix a variety of imperfections from the casting process.

Enjoy!

-- Derek (Schubert)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2