GURPS Game

Colonel Kane

Hello all

I have decided to try to gather a GURPS 4th edition game together. 

I have not decided on what setting and would like 'player' input. I have three that I could do. 

Fantasy

This is my own home brew world, while it is based on the GW Warhammer world and a copy of thee GURPS hammer book would be invaluable, I could supply you with most of the info you would need. 

Traveller

This is based on the old Judges Guild Sector Ley, but here again I have more less modified it to suit me. 

Fallout style

This is based on the Fallout series, but again it will be set in my own setting. 

I have been doing fantasy for years and have more or less a story to tell with it. With both the Traveller and the Fallout I do not really have a story line, which could work in our favor or not. Since I am using the Judges Guild Ley Sector as my base, the worlds outside of the Imperium are unknown. So it is more set up for an exploration style campaign. 

So is anyone interested? 

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/22/2021 at 8:05 PM, Kangaroorex said:

Im interested.  I could use another PBF right now.  if i have a preference it would be traveller or fantasy.  to me video game settings are usually best left as video games....

I am toying with Traveller, if you will understand that things may not be the way they should be, just because I want a few different things and the fact that I am 'newish' to sci fi rpg.

Also I want to do things a bit differently on the characters. I want to more or less do them here in the open.... if there is a secret, then PMs are fine... but I would like anyone who wants to 'learn' the system see what is going on. 

Edited to add the following:

List of Documents that you will either need or find useful. 

If you are a new player and are interested in playing It would be useful if you had the GURPS Lite rules.  The Skill Categories and the Combat Cards PDFs would be helpful. All three are free to purchase at the SJGames website. If you have played before GURPS before in Third edition, then the GURPS Update would be helpful as well as some of the skills have 'changed'. 

Edited by Colonel Kane
added document list

9 hours ago, Kangaroorex said:

Interesting.  Are you going to use a life path system or a gurps build?  I'm down for either.  I love the traveller life path and I can always use some lessons in gurps character building

While I really like the original Travellers life path build, I am am more familiar with the GURPS buiild. so we will go with that route. Give me a bit and I will post a list of the templates. 

Here is a list of the templates. The only thing I want you to do is to pick one or two that you are interested in. If you want a description please feel free to ask. After you have settled on the one you want, we will proceed from there. I will be away from my computer the rest of today and tomorrow, but will be back on Friday. I will still be able to keep tabs on this. 

Traveller Templates

Academician         85 points
Athlete         100 points
Attorney         74 points
Belter             95 points
Bureaucrat         65 points
Capitalist         80 points
Colonist         40 points
Dilettante         70 points
Diplomat         90 points
Doctor             95 points
Entertainer         90 points
Journalist         65 points
Marine            130 points     
Policeman         110 points 
Politician         70 points
Rogue             90 points
Scientist        90 points
Soldier         130 points
Starship Bridge Officer 100 points
Starship Commander     140 points
Starship Deckhand     80 points
Starship Engineer    100 points

Sorry Kanga, yesterday was a very unplanned busy day. I am looking at 100-150. I kind of hate to set a hard limit as I there are two templates that are on opposite ends of the spread, Colonist at 40 point and the Starship Commander at 140 points. If I start you at 100 the Commander is off the table, if I start you at 150, then the Colonist has 110 points to put into skills and such and that is a lot of points to spend. This I feel is the biggest drawback of the templates. 

So Step one is to pick a template that you would like to play. I do want to point out that if you pick the Starship commander, you will not start with a ship.... not saying you will not get your own, but you will not start with one. 

Also please note that I will allow some of the other races from Traveller in the game, I want to promote the "You are on thr frontier of HUMAN space, so I would like more humans than aliens in the party. 

No worries.  I am already running a vargar  medic elsewhere.  

If you don't mind, I'll run one through the traveller lifepath to see what he winds up as.  Then I can choose the template from there.

Personally I would go with 150 points and let the lower size templates pick a second small template like a colonist doctor or a capitalist diplomat to add some skills and make generation easier.  Not perfect but it will probably work.

But whatever you decide is fine.

52 minutes ago, Kangaroorex said:

No worries.  I am already running a vargar  medic elsewhere.  

If you don't mind, I'll run one through the traveller lifepath to see what he winds up as.  Then I can choose the template from there.

Personally I would go with 150 points and let the lower size templates pick a second small template like a colonist doctor or a capitalist diplomat to add some skills and make generation easier.  Not perfect but it will probably work.

But whatever you decide is fine.

I do not mind, but for the sake of others who may or may not end up wanting to play, could you post results and more or less what you are doing and reasoning behind the choice u=you end up choosing. 

On 2/24/2021 at 1:35 PM, Colonel Kane said:

Here is a list of the templates. The only thing I want you to do is to pick one or two that you are interested in. If you want a description please feel free to ask. After you have settled on the one you want, we will proceed from there. I will be away from my computer the rest of today and tomorrow, but will be back on Friday. I will still be able to keep tabs on this. 

Traveller Templates

Academician         85 points
Athlete         100 points
Attorney         74 points
Belter             95 points
Bureaucrat         65 points
Capitalist         80 points
Colonist         40 points
Dilettante         70 points
Diplomat         90 points
Doctor             95 points
Entertainer         90 points
Journalist         65 points
Marine            130 points     
Policeman         110 points 
Politician         70 points
Rogue             90 points
Scientist        90 points
Soldier         130 points
Starship Bridge Officer 100 points
Starship Commander     140 points
Starship Deckhand     80 points
Starship Engineer    100 points

So if anyone who is new and would like to play, please pick a template from the above list, you may PM me or post here. Even if you have played GURPS before, we are taking it a little on the slow side to better help new people in generating their characters. So just pick from the list, if there are two that you think you might want to try, then as long as their total does not equal more than 150, we can work things out. (Thank you Kanga, for the idea), however the combnation, must make some sense, as a Starship Bridge officer and a Colonist, may not mix well. 

My Gurps group meets on Saturday and some of them are on the forums but dont usually come to the sandbox. I will ask them if anyone is interested.  

Gurps can be a pretty intimidating system, although its fun to learn and really works well.  dont be too concerned.  this area is not the most visited.  I think there are maybe 10 reaper peeps who regularly visit here.  If you havent already, you might mention you are getting a game together in the sandbox in the Gurps conversation in off-topic.  

as for the character, i have been waiting until someone else shows up before I pick a lane ::D: