Jump to content

Print on the Plate or Raise with Supports


Recommended Posts

Vae Victus, Arbiter, Rocket Pig Games, and a few others, make supportless miniatures.

 

I find it a huge PIA to get them off the plat that way so I use supports just to kick them up off the plate.

 

Anyone else? Or do you use a razor or something to get them off the plate? 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Always try to use supports, if not you'll get something called "elephant's feet" on the bottom. I printed a menhir that was straight up & down piece, but all I did was raise it up then added heavy supports. It came out great. (I did hollow the piece as well)

 

I think Rocket Pig's "supportless" stuff is made for FDM printers.

 

As far as removal, I just use plastic razors & a holder. Pops them off with just a little bit of poking under a couple corners.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, haldir said:

Always try to use supports, if not you'll get something called "elephant's feet" on the bottom. I printed a menhir that was straight up & down piece, but all I did was raise it up then added heavy supports. It came out great. (I did hollow the piece as well)

 

I think Rocket Pig's "supportless" stuff is made for FDM printers.

 

As far as removal, I just use plastic razors & a holder. Pops them off with just a little bit of poking under a couple corners.

 

What type of plastic razors? I'm use a metal scrapper. I've used plastic ones but I've had a few break on me.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I got mine off bay of e. Just search plastic razor. They look like razors you put in box cutters or paint scrappers. Mine are safety orange color. You get like a box of 100.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/20/2021 at 11:07 PM, JoeGKushner said:

 

What type of plastic razors? I'm use a metal scrapper. I've used plastic ones but I've had a few break on me.

 

Never use that metal one on the FEP if you need to remove a failed print or you will go right through it.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I've a plastic spatula I printed in PETG that I use for my FEP, and I've a chisel shaped xacto blade that I use for releasing from my resin build plate.  I've been using it for over a year now and no significant gouges or difficulty getting things off the plate. (and resin build plates don't mind some minor scratches as long as you don't create sharp raised ridges to cut at the FEP)

 

As for support-less vs supported - using the blade I can print diretly on the plate and get it off with no problem, though I usually don't. As Glitterwolf said, the elephants foot is a thing.  Vae Victus designs for resin and includes a bit of an undercut on the bottom edge of most of their models (though most of their tiles are also FDM friendly.)    Rocket Pig actually designs for FDM and they're 'support free' with that in mind. (though I'd still print on a raft because elephants foot is a thing for FDM too) Not sure about Arbiter, I've never worked with any of their stuff

 

All that said - printing on the plate will work, but you might need a little more cleanup around the bottom edge.  A sharp exacto knife on smooth curves or straights can work really well if you trim before doing the post cure, otherwise you're stuck wet sanding or living with it.  Also, printing directly on the plate will make hollowing to save resin and suction force impossible since there will be nowhere to place the vent holes except in the visible surface of the model.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/22/2021 at 5:32 AM, Glitterwolf said:

 

Never use that metal one on the FEP if you need to remove a failed print or you will go right through it.

 

 

When I first started 3-D printing, I was having some trouble with some failed print removal and just tore the FEP to pieces with my gloved hands. 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...