Starfinder: Attack of the Swarm pbp

haldir

Vitharyan Vanishka, Suskillon Defense Force, Cpl, 5th Battalion

HIT POINTS: 12 | CURRENT: 12 | STAMINA: 7 | CURRENT: 7 | RESOLVE: 4 | CURRENT: 4

KAC: 15 | EAC: 14 | CMAC: 23 | FORTITUDE: +1 | REFLEX: +5 | WILL: +2

INITIATIVE: +4 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 18 | PASSIVE SENSE MOTIVE: 11

BACKGROUND:  Drachovya is a small Vesk community in Alappu Major, about a day south of Suskillon's capital, Brinnoa, the small farming community was founded 293 AG, by Veskarium soldiers.  The founders wanted to escape the relentless imperialism of the Veskarium, but given the hostility the Pact showed towards the Vesk for actions taken during the war, decided to settle in Near Space seperate from both the Pact and their former imperium.  Vitharyan was born the following year, his father, Vorenvad was a retired member of the Apothecarium, a skilled doctor, and trauma surgeon, while his mother, Ulyana, was a retired Imperium Guard, turned engineer.  The young vesk grew to adulthood learning of his duties and responsibilities to the community, however, he yearned for something more,  he often travelled into Brinnoa with his father, get supplies for the algae production systems. 

It was there that he met, Chisk'isk, a shirren youth, he discovered that the Shirren lived in a community about three hours from Drachovya, and so the two would often go on wilderness trips with one another, enercycling through the wooded trails, camping, and hunting together.  Suskillon, an independent world, required it's citizens to enlist in the planetary defense force for a minimum of four years, to ensure the protection of the planet, and the security of it's inter-system trade routes.  After graduating from their respective prepatory schools, the two enlisted in the SDF together, and during their four year term, they earned their academic credits so they could enter the private sector upon the termination of their mandatory service.  However, six months ago, an unknown force moved into Suskillon's system space, the Swarm had arrived.  Chisk'isk and Vitharyan were assigned to the 5th Battalion, however, the shirren was assigned to an armored division, while Vitharyan was Special Forces and Recon, so he managed to survive the 5th Battalion's first contact with the Swarm, unfortunately the armored division was wiped out in the Battle of the Stone Sea.

Having lost his closest childhood friend, the large Vesk is angry, at himself for being unable to save Chisk'isk, or contriute, meaningfully, at that first engagement with the vexxers.  He's vowed, to himself, that he will do everything he can possibly do to ensure that the Swarm are driven from Suskillon.  He feels personally responsibly for his friends, large, extended community, as his friends family, and the Shirren, in general, accepted the Vesk with open arms sharing their language, their culture, and their history with him.

Ghost Operative.jpg

Edited by Zero Prime
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/8/2021 at 5:11 PM, haldir said:

Yah I would have rather they just stuck with the Core book (+ the fantasy races) as races for the PCs. Thou Sf has been out for a few years now. One of the reason why I only stick with official releases. I'm pretty sure there are some great non Paizo offerings out there, just too many to keep up.

The core book races do seem to offer plenty of options with various themes, classes and specialities.  Two the players in the quick game I played during Reaper Virtual picked other races and, in my opinion, they did not fit well into the module we played although they were probably great in the module they were pulled from.  I especially disliked having a large PC in our group.

I will work up a character sheet within the next couple of days.  I am thinking human operative with the career soldier theme. I hesitated about picking human as the race since it seems an unpopular choice so I thought I might be overlooking some disadvantage, but it is the predominate race on Suskillon so I think I will go that way.

is Miner (wis) OK for profession skill?

2 hours ago, ferret said:

The core book races do seem to offer plenty of options with various themes, classes and specialities.  Two the players in the quick game I played during Reaper Virtual picked other races and, in my opinion, they did not fit well into the module we played although they were probably great in the module they were pulled from.  I especially disliked having a large PC in our group.

I will work up a character sheet within the next couple of days.  I am thinking human operative with the career soldier theme. I hesitated about picking human as the race since it seems an unpopular choice so I thought I might be overlooking some disadvantage, but it is the predominate race on Suskillon so I think I will go that way.

is Miner (wis) OK for profession skill?

Yah human is the standard everything else is measured against. As with most rpgs, picking human & then someone picks say elf, might mean the elf gets darkvision, racial weapons & other goodies while the human get some stat boosts (no special vision like the elf), you also gotta remember the role-play aspect of it. Most communities are ok with the human, but the elf, might not be as welcomed or similar.

I don't see why Miner wouldn't be allowed. Feel free to pick it up. I'll try & get the Player's Guide up later today or I'll look at the section on Archives & Nethys & see what is good enough for you guys to look at. (the whole site breaks the entire adventure down, at least most of the crunchy stat stuff.

@Zero Prime That is a fantastic character. Awesome work there!!

3 hours ago, ferret said:

I am thinking human operative with the career soldier theme. I hesitated about picking human as the race since it seems an unpopular choice so I thought I might be overlooking some disadvantage, but it is the predominate race on Suskillon so I think I will go that way.

Figured I'd mention it, a SF Operative doesn't play like a rogue, they aren't top damage dealers, their trick attack is only usable as a full round action which means, one attack per turn.  So it's deceptive,  because soldiers and solarians are rocking out two and three attacks at higher levels.  So an Operative is a highly skilled, support class, throwing debuffs on targets, like Flat Footed, or Off Target, opening the opponent for a heavy hitter to lay out.

That being said, it is a military game, some overlap will likely happen, and two Operatives could be effective if their builds complimented one another.  But it wouldn't hurt to discuss unit composition to ensure we have specific bases covered, ranged, heavy weapons, demolitions, melee, that way we can plan for it in our builds and come up with squad tactics.  Like Vitharyan will likely carry smoke grenades to cover a retreat, or set up ambushes.

Stuff to think about, for sure.  And as an FYI, Syskillon has a *large* population of Shirren, and that races lore with the Swarm might be interesting to see.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zero Prime said:

... it wouldn't hurt to discuss unit composition to ensure we have specific bases covered, ranged, heavy weapons, demolitions, melee, that way we can plan for it in our builds and come up with squad tactics.  Like Vitharyan will likely carry smoke grenades to cover a retreat, or set up ambushes.

Stuff to think about, for sure.  And as an FYI, Syskillon has a *large* population of Shirren, and that races lore with the Swarm might be interesting to see.

If you wish, we could discuss unit composition to ensure the party is balanced.  I am perfectly OK with switching to something other than a human operative if that will help close some gaps in the party's capabilities and I am assuming you're OK with making changes to your PC since you suggested the discussion of unit composition.  I would like to stick to the core rules for my PC's race and class.

While it would be interesting, I am not sure about a Shirren.  Given we already have a Ysoki engineer and a Telia mystic, it isn't clear to me how the shirren's relative low aggression and preference for noncombat roles can be accommodated while closing the potential gaps you mentioned which are all combat related.

Absolutely, I threw Vitharyan together in a couple hours.  I can't promise that the character wouldn't change,  personality, even race if I switched out his class, bit yeah I just want a cohesive unit.

The shirren are community oriented, and non confrontational,  but you need to remember they fought for that individuality for generations before they escaped the Swarm.  They, more than anyone on Suskillon, would know the consequences of failure,  reduced to mindless drones in service to an unknowable enemy.  It's a cool hook, problem is I hate the shirren aesthetic, so that's a no go for me.

Problem is, a proper session zero around a table we'd hanger out a squad over beer and pretzels.  Online, we're all like, I'll play what the party needs.  So if you want to go Operative, I don't see a solid tank, I'll make a big old Soldier.

FYI, @Dilvish the Deliverer posted he would most likely play a soldier.  Maybe an android technomancer or a Korasha Lashuntas solarian would be worth considering?  Being new to Starfinder, I actually have little idea of what is needed to balance the unit.  I do not think I would enjoy playing an envoy so I will strike it from possible classes for my PC. 

Edited by ferret
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ferret said:

FYI, @Dilvish the Deliverer posted he would most likely play a soldier.

Yes, I actually made up a drow soldier with the idea of multiclassing him into mystic, but if Corsair is running a mystic, then I can either go straight soldier or another class.  From the two campaigns I have played in, I have been a technomancer and a mechanic, so I am definitely open to playing a new character type.  I'm assuming that based upon @Zero Prime's character's Init mod and Reflex save, that Vitharyan is primarily a dex based soldier, so perhaps a melee focused character to help balance things out.  From what I've seen, melee is a strong combat option, So I could go that way.  I've looked at Witchwarper, but it seems like it is slow to start and and takes a couple of levels before it starts to shine.  Perhaps, I'll roll with something like a Solarian.  Of course I'm open to running just about anything.

Sorry, I think I am confusing things, let's take a look at the unit so far;

@Kangaroorex Ysoki Mechanic

@Dilvish the Deliverer Drow Soldier

@Corsair Telia Mystic Medic

@ferret Human Operative

So, Mechanic has our engineering down, for sure, giving us the ability to fix and repair our gear, vehicles and starships, as well as bypass mechanical locks.  Includes the ability to disarm explosive traps.  Drow Soldier (I play a drow in another game, buy Light Vision Shades asap, Light Blindness is no joke!), given a drow's stats, I am going to assume that he's going to be a dex soldier, so that gives us decent ranged attacks, heavy weapons, but could go with armor storm for some power armor, iron man style switch hitting at 5th.  Mystic Medic has our Mysticism (fusions!) down, likely some sense motive, and hopefully perception to leverage some high wisdom.  And finally two Operatives, with Vith being a switch hitter, melee & pistol, so a ton of other skills.  Given the Operatives Dex, I am going to assume one, or both of us, will be good enough pilot/driver to carry that role in starship combat.

Really, the only area we suffer is in the social skills, lack of Diplomacy, Bluff or Intimidate might bite us in the butt, however, being a military game we may not be the most social people.  Leaving PR to those who have the inclination for it, we're just here to kick broccoli and chew bubble gum and we're all out of bubble gum.

Or, I could make a Solarian, as a Charisma secondary class, it can easily work at Diplomacy, to give us a team face, plus it would give us a decent melee combatant at the same time.

That is great!  Because, more and more, I can hear Vith's voice in my head responding to some social situations:  "This is an SDF operation, if you don't like it, take it up with the Swarm!"

Also, I can see me aiding your Intimidation check. 

@Dilvish the Deliverer:  "See that Vesk over there?"  Pause. "Oh you wouldn't, until he had his knife at your throat." 

@Zero Prime  Decloaks behind Intimidation target.

Getting stoked for this game.

Solarians are my jam!

My suggestion, go Str>Cha, drop your Dex to 10 and accept that ranged isn't your thing, pick up Heavy Armor.  Grab a lvl 1 apocalypse shard (150 credits), slap a soulfire fusion on it (120 credits), so now you, assuming 16 strength, are +4 to hit KAC, and do 1d6 (solarweapon) +1 (apocalypse shard) +3 (strength) + 2 (soulfire fusion for + Cha-mod) + 1 (Photon attunement).  1d6+7 at 1st level is pretty significant.

Or go human and grab Hvy Armor & Wpn Focus, heh.  Also, don't forget, as of COM, Solarians are trained in shields, so that can help alleviate AC issues until 5th, when you can bump it to 12.

• Like 1