Starfinder: Attack of the Swarm pbp

haldir

@Zero Prime I admit your switch from Technomancer to Operative caught me by surprise after I had already started down the Operative road, but I am not all that hard to confuse. 

Think I may back away since I am getting the vibe that this game may not be suitable for someone with no Starfinder experience.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

23 minutes ago, ferret said:

@Zero Prime I admit your switch from Technomancer to Operative caught me by surprise after I had already started down the Operative road, but I am not all that hard to confuse. 

Think I may back away since I am getting the vibe that this game may not be suitable for someone with no Starfinder experience.

It's really not that hard, especially if you have 3.5/Pathfinder experience.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, ferret said:

Thing is the classes in SF are pretty fluid, even 'casters' are 3/4 BaB, so my original Technomancer sniper concept swerved into an old concept, the Vesk Ghost Operative, I never got the chance to play, so I apologize if that threw you for a loop.  At the point I posted, I still saw a gap as nobody had spoken about Operative yet.

However, given the choice between welcoming a new player, or dusting off a concept I have't played yet, I'll take the new player everytime.  So if you want to play an Operative, I can come up with a new concept quick as that.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zero Prime said:

Thing is the classes in SF are pretty fluid, even 'casters' are 3/4 BaB, so my original Technomancer sniper concept swerved into an old concept, the Vesk Ghost Operative, I never got the chance to play, so I apologize if that threw you for a loop.  At the point I posted, I still saw a gap as nobody had spoken about Operative yet.

However, given the choice between welcoming a new player, or dusting off a concept I have't played yet, I'll take the new player everytime.  So if you want to play an Operative, I can come up with a new concept quick as that.

Sorry, I didn't  mean to imply the operative was a big deal.  Like Dilvish, I initially thought your character was a dex based soldier  so I figured you had switched to one of the classes you said were your favorite; and, I did not realize there was already an operative when I choose that class.  I was just trying to explain my confusion not cause you to make any changes.

13 hours ago, ferret said:

One of the reason why I'm startin this game is to get game experience for Starfinder. It's been awhile even for running a Pathfinder 1e game. I think my last game was "We be Goblins" at ReaperCon 2018 perhaps? I know in 2017 I killed @buglips*the*goblin's character "Buglips" (yes, he is in the game as a playable character) while him & @OneBoot ran off together leaving the rest of the party to sleep off that night's celebrations. It didn't go well..:devil: 2018's games were screwy due to scheduling & lack of players for my games, but I know I did run WBG that year & I didn't go in 2019 & of course 2020. Eh, we won't talk about 2020...

So, feel free to stay. I'd rather you did & learned the game.

9 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

any particular format you want the character sheets in?  If not, then I will most likely use myth-weavers unless anyone has a better option.

Myth-Weavers is fine. Just everyone post their sheets here, so I can easily reference them when needed.

• Like 1

Thanks, I will stay in the game. I appreciate everyone's comments and acceptance of a newbie in the game.

I foresee no significant problems using the core rules. But, I was a bit concerned that inexperience and lack of knowledge about the other 8 or 9 Starfinder source books will undoubtedly result in suboptimal decisions that could impact the party's chance of success.

Edited by ferret
  • Thanks 1

If you want I would be glad to help you figure out an Operative, is there any specific specialization you were interested in?  Essentially, as in many other games, Dexterity is your go to stat, I would pump it to 16, assuming +2 from Human, and 4 of 10 points, that leaves you 6 points to spread around your other stats, plus you will get 1 to your Consistitution from Career Trooper.  Assuming you go ranged & operative weapons, you could logically keep Strength at 10, and only suffer a decreased load limit, that's tolerable.  I'd probably drop a point into Con to round it out to 12, for the additional stamina, fort save, and such.  Operatives are ridiculously skilled, getting 8 SR's per level, PLUS, their two speciality skills (Acrobatics & Stealth for Ghost, as an example) get ranks equal to your Operative level.  So there's no real reason to buff Intelligence for SR's, unless it fits your specilization (Gadgeteer & Hacker off the top of my head).  Specialization Spy would mean you want to concentrate on Charisma, for Bluff, otherwise I'd look at Wisdom for Sense Motive & Perception.

Remember each specialization has two associated skills, they *each* get Skill Focus, Ghost gets (Acro & Stealth), Spy gets (Bluff & Disguise) etc, so assuming a stat of 14 to 16, at 1st level you are around +9 or +10 before you add gear, racial skill mods, or theme skill mods.  However, to land trick attack you need to roll d20+Skill Mod+4 vs a DC equal to 20+target's CR, to actually make that creature a) flat footed to your attack and b) to get the addt'l damage.

As a Human you'll get two feats at 1st level.  Doing a Trick Attack is a full round action, it allows you to move & attack (plus roll your associated skill to perform the trick attack), ut you can't take swift actions in that turn, so even Quick Draw prevents you from using Trick Attack.  Accuracy bonuses are hard to come buy in Starfinder, so I typically go with Weapon Focus (Small Arms), pick up a Laser Pistol, lower damage but it targets EAC which is usally a point or two lower, so more accurate in the long run.  Second one is personal choice, but with all an Operative's skills, you won't need to expand on your list, so you could go right to something like Mobility, or even Improved Initiative (yes, it stacks with Operative's Edge, something I wasn't aware of until yesterday!)

All of the above is just *my* opinion, and take it with a grain of salt, but I do know the system and am glad to help.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zero Prime said:

If you want I would be glad to help you figure out an Operative, is there any specific specialization you were interested in?  Essentially, as in many other games, Dexterity is your go to stat, I would pump it to 16, assuming +2 from Human, and 4 of 10 points, that leaves you 6 points to spread around your other stats, plus you will get 1 to your Consistitution from Career Trooper.  Assuming you go ranged & operative weapons, you could logically keep Strength at 10, and only suffer a decreased load limit, that's tolerable.  I'd probably drop a point into Con to round it out to 12, for the additional stamina, fort save, and such.  Operatives are ridiculously skilled, getting 8 SR's per level, PLUS, their two speciality skills (Acrobatics & Stealth for Ghost, as an example) get ranks equal to your Operative level.  So there's no real reason to buff Intelligence for SR's, unless it fits your specilization (Gadgeteer & Hacker off the top of my head).  Specialization Spy would mean you want to concentrate on Charisma, for Bluff, otherwise I'd look at Wisdom for Sense Motive & Perception.

Remember each specialization has two associated skills, they *each* get Skill Focus, Ghost gets (Acro & Stealth), Spy gets (Bluff & Disguise) etc, so assuming a stat of 14 to 16, at 1st level you are around +9 or +10 before you add gear, racial skill mods, or theme skill mods.  However, to land trick attack you need to roll d20+Skill Mod+4 vs a DC equal to 20+target's CR, to actually make that creature a) flat footed to your attack and b) to get the addt'l damage.

As a Human you'll get two feats at 1st level.  Doing a Trick Attack is a full round action, it allows you to move & attack (plus roll your associated skill to perform the trick attack), ut you can't take swift actions in that turn, so even Quick Draw prevents you from using Trick Attack.  Accuracy bonuses are hard to come buy in Starfinder, so I typically go with Weapon Focus (Small Arms), pick up a Laser Pistol, lower damage but it targets EAC which is usally a point or two lower, so more accurate in the long run.  Second one is personal choice, but with all an Operative's skills, you won't need to expand on your list, so you could go right to something like Mobility, or even Improved Initiative (yes, it stacks with Operative's Edge, something I wasn't aware of until yesterday!)

All of the above is just *my* opinion, and take it with a grain of salt, but I do know the system and am glad to help.

I always appreciate advice from someone that is more familiar with the system There is a lot of similarity between the my tentative operative build and your suggestions but there are some differences.

I went with detective specialization. I am assuming career trooper's abilities to recall military info will typically require a culture check so I looked at detective and explorer,. Detective seemed to fit the theme better.

Went with STR 10, DEX 16, CON 11, INT 12,  WIS 14, CHA 10 for abilities. 

Mobility is my first feat.  Picked toughness as the second feat to make up for not increasing CON. 

Based on your suugestions, I am thinking of reducing INT and increasing DEX or WIS..  And perhaps, switching weapon focus for toughness. But for some reason that is a tough call for me.

Any further advice based on this info?

First off, I love the image that's coming to my head, Detective with Toughness brings me to the classic TV detective, Columbo.  

Now, as far as Trooper is concerned,  it gives you a +1 to Con, and a +1 to Piloting,  neither of which you're really leveraging.   Now, I started to take a look at other themes,  and Law Officer adds to Wisdom and an untyped bonus to Sense Motive, which you use for Trick Attack.  Otherwise theme looks fine. 

I love Toughness and Mobility,  you could pick up Weapon Focus at 3rd.  As for stats, remember at 5th you increase FOUR stats.  If the stat is 16 or lower it increases by 2.  So if you pumped to 18 at 1st level,  at 5th it'd go to 19, and no appreciable benefit.  Starting at 16, it bumps to 18, and you get those two extra points in Con or something that would up your survivability. 

If you went with Law Officer, you could call it Military Police, or it could have been your civilian job before enlisting at the start of the invasion.

You could start with 16 Dex, 12 Con, and 14 Wisdom, your Sense Motive would be +10, and +14 for Trick Attack, so on a 7 or better you'll catch any CR1 target flat footed, so your Weapon Focus could wait until 3rd.

Check 5th level feats for any that require a 13 stat.  Technomatic Dabbler requires 13 Int, so you could start at 11, at 5th up it to 13 and grab the feat for a 1 a day +4d6 supercharged trick attack.  Heh.

Ultimately I'm just spit balling, looks like you have the basics down.  Let me know if you want to talk gear, you could message me on Discord if you like.  Zero Prime#5907.

Character Name: Gustav Bach 
Class/Level: Operative (Detective)/ 1   Race: Human  Theme: Career Trooper 
Size: Medium  Speed: 30’  Gender: Male Home World: Suskillion 
Alignment: Lawful Neutral   
Ability Scores (Modifier):  STR 10(0), DEX 16(+3), CON 11(0), INT 12(+1), WIS 14(+2), CHA 10(0) 
Skills: Acrobatics 8, Computers 6, Culture 9, Disguise 5, Engineering 6 (1 rank), Perception 7, Piloting 9 (1 rank), Profession 11 (Miner WIS), Sense Motive 10, Sleight of Hand 8, Stealth 8, Survival 7
Skill ranks per level: 10 
Initiative: +4

Stamina Pts: 7 (max 7)  Hit Pts: 10 (max 10) Resolve Pts: 4 (max 4)
Armor Class:  EAC: 14   KAC: 15  CMAC: 23 
Saving Throws:  FORTITUDE: 0   REFLEX: +5   WILL: +4 
Attack Bonuses: Melee 0  Ranged: +3  Thrown: 0 
Weapons
        Laser pistol. Azimuth +3,  level 1,  damage 1d4 F, range 80', critical burn 1d4, charges 20/1
        Baton, Tactical +3,  level 1, damage 1d4 B, special analog, operative, thrown (20')
Proficiencies: light armor, basic melee weapons, small arms, sniper weapons 
Feats: Mobility,  Toughness
Abilities:  
   Operative’s Edge - =1 insight bonus to initiative checks and spell checks 
   Trick attack, +4 bonus when using sense motive
     Theme Knowledge  -Reduce DC of culture or diplomacy checks to recall or discover knowledge about enemy troop size and tactics by 5
Languages: Common, Suskillonian?, Shirren, Kasatha

:
    Equipment:

Battery
     Second skin armor 
     Personal comm unit 
    Flashlight 
    Hygiene Kit 
    Backpack, consumer 
     Field Rations (1/WK) 
     Everyday clothing 
     Tool Kit, Professional tools

Tool Kit, engineering 

Hacking Kit

Disguise Kit
      Med patch
     Mk I serum of healing x 2
     Credstick - 4 credits

BACKGROUND

Gustav's early years were quite unremarkable. His family lived in a modest, but comfortable home in a company town maintained by the Consolidated Mining Corporation.  Gustav was the fourth child of a miner and his wife.  When he completed his schooling at age 17, Gustav joined his father in the mines because that was what was expected of him, but he dreamed of adventure while he toiled in the dark shafts.  
   Gustav's father was killed when a pocket of natural gas exploded.  Freed of his familial obligations, Gustav eagerly enlisted in the SDF when a recruiter told him travel and adventure that were his for the taking.
   Things didn't work out as Gustav anticipated.  Upon completion of basic training, Gustav was assigned to the 5th BN  Field Sanitation team.  The BN Commander thought Gustav's mining experience made him well qualified to excavate field latrines. After a several  months, Gustav's responsibilities expanded to encompass temporary fortifications. Basically.Gustav became the "go to guy" anytime the Battalion needed a hole dug or dirt moved.
   Realizing his role offered neither the adventure he craved nor opportunity for promotion, Gustav transferred to the Battalion S-2 (Intelligence) staff when he reenlisted. He successfully completed numerous missions as a field operative before being promoted to S-2 Officer.  For the last three years, Gustav has worked behind a desk analyzing intelligence reports and designing exercises.  The approach of the swarm has created an urgent need for experienced field operatives and Gustav has been ordered to join one of the special units being sent to counter the invasion. 
  Having spent his entire adult life in the SDF, Gustav has a "by the book" attitude and is well versed in SDF regulations.  While he naturally likes doing the right thing, he is unlikely to question a regulation or the orders of his superiors.  This general attitude does not preclude Gustav from displaying initiative or innovation when necessary to complete a field mission.

8f6a3505b5edc11f6fb49aceb6f6b7b1--ishikawa-tintin.jpg

Edited by ferret
  • Like 3