Let's Present ... No Way Out (1/72 scale WWII diorama)

• Forum Mascot

Holy crap!  Those rust effects are amazing!  You did an excelent job on this, and that goes twice over given that it's 1/72 scale.  If I didn't know that and had to guess by looking, I'd have guessed 1/35.  You also did a fantastic job on those figures, a lot of 1/72 scale figures aren't very good to start with and painting them decent can be a real bear.  

That's a very solid piece!

• Like 6
9 hours ago, buglips*the*goblin said:

Holy crap!  Those rust effects are amazing!  You did an excelent job on this, and that goes twice over given that it's 1/72 scale.  If I didn't know that and had to guess by looking, I'd have guessed 1/35.  You also did a fantastic job on those figures, a lot of 1/72 scale figures aren't very good to start with and painting them decent can be a real bear.  

That's a very solid piece!

Thank you, sir - when I started the model, I wasn't sure I would be able to recover it. It was totally covered in thick email colour.

image.png.bd30cec3ac14c1aee82481b3554d967c.png

To be able to restore it up to this point is something I am very proud of. The figures were a challenge as well, and I not very satisfied with the outcome, but then again: 1/72 scale - and I painted them using an airbrush. At least partially. Haha. That was super fun and I helped my try out some things I could not try out on bigger minis. It was a good challenge and I had a lot of fun!

6 hours ago, chaosscorpion said:

What Buglips Said

Glad you like it. Thank you!

6 hours ago, Rigel said:

Spectacular rust and decay as always, and the stained mud uncovered by the treads looks properly mucky! Did you use water effects, or just gloss medium to get that wet-mud look?

To be honest: It was an accident: I used NOCH water effects, but when I applied it, it was too strong, so I toned it down using AK interactive mud wash. It was too dark, so I used NOCH again, and it was too shiny. So I used mat lacquer, which destroyed the whole effect, so then I applied NOCH again in very small amounts, until it suddenly worked.

4 hours ago, Darcstaar said:

The weathering is so believable.  The muddy ground is very realistic.  And I’m drawn to all the fun details all over such as the bullet-riddled walls.  Great job.

Thank you. It was quite a lot of work to figure out all the little details. I am glad you noticed them!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Metalchaos
      Hello everyone, now that my Perils of the Underworld diorama is built, I'll post here the detailed steps of my paintings sessions. The Work in progress of the display base can be found HERE.

Let’s start the painting section with a hack to save time. When I paint a large surface, typically a terrain piece, I apply paint straight on the surface and spread it with a large brush. It’s way faster, since I don’t have to go back to the palette each time to reload the brush bristles. Here I’m using a #8 flat brush.

As a base coat for the display I used 09660 powderburn brown.

I filled the gaps and hard to reach areas with a #1 brush. At this step, I’m using old brushes as it doesn’t matter if the bristles are sharp or not.

I then applied a dry brush of 09028 muddy brown all over the base.

I dry brushed of 09028 muddy brown on the upper part of the 03602 stone lurker and started painting the bat as well. The bat is from the 02018, Familiar Pack I. I used the same colors on the bat's perch that those I used on the display base. I painted the bat body in 29843 solid black.

Next, I started layering the bat wings with military grey (this out of production color can be substituted by 09438 tempest grey).

Here’s the picture I referred to for the bat wing colors.

For the bat fur, I used 09059 aged bone and the fingers were painted with a mix of 29839 maroon red and 09059 aged bone.

Even if it will be impossible to see the back side of the bat when it would be attached to the display base, I painted it anyway.

17mm wingspan ready to take off. I applied a 29822 suntan flesh highlight on the stalactite, then a mix of 29822 suntan flesh and 09059 aged bone for the final highlights.

Here’s the back side completed with a final 29822 suntan flesh highlight.

Here you go, that’s it for today. Spread your wings and go explore the Underworld.

• By Metalchaos
      Good day everyone, I will share here my progression on a project I wish to do for a long time. I already know all the parts I'll be using for this diorama. Starting with the carefree 03082 Ingrid sculpted by Derek Schubert (I'm converting her as a svirfneblin prospector), accompanied by her faithful familiar the 14453 hunting cat sculpted by Sandra Garrity. They are taken as prey by a 03602 stone lurker sculpted by Kevin Williams. I will also add a 02018 bat from the familiar pack 1 hanging somewhere on the rock wall. I already worked on Ingrid. I removed the base and give her a pickaxe. I made her tool with a paperclip and a piece of scrap metal. This all-project idea started with the gemstone she’s holding in her left hand.

• By Mckenna35
      I know there are a few folks that do Bolt Action and similar 28mm wargaming (@buglips), so I thought I'd bounce this out there.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/tftb/world-war-ii-soviet-railroad?ref=discovery_recommendations

Story
      Railroads are an important means to transport troops, equipment, ammunition and all other kinds of supply to the front. Especially in a country as vast as the Soviet Union with it's endless steppes, only few reliable roads and no major rivers running in the direction of the German advance during Operation Barbarossa in World War II. 
      With this set of detailed buildings and rolling stock in 1/56 scale for 28mm figures you get the opportunity to recreate the crucial fighting around the Soviet railroad system.
      The kits focus on the major pieces of rolling stock available to the Soviet defenders: box cars, gondola cars and flat cars. And the mighty ALCo RSD-1 Diesel Engine which was made available under the US Lend-Lease Act.
      Also included is a typical rural train station with optional additional platforms for all who want to depict a Soviet - or captured German - supply depot, where heavy equipment like tanks and guns are being unloaded.
      And for all of you looking for an armored train - don't worry! We have you covered.
        Talking about railroad tracks:
      We did not see the need to reinvent the wheel, so all kits are designed to be used with
      4Ground Railroad Tracks (available as add-ons to the Kickstarter) or O Gauge Model Railroad Tracks The kits include optional parts enabling you to choose your favorite system while assembling. Going this route has allowed us to concentrate on designing and producing the rolling stock only, which has the advantage of an earlier fulfillment date for the Kickstarter.
      All models are highly detailed on the outside and inside. The interiors are easily accessible, as roofs are removable. In addition, all doors are moveable, which means you can open or close them during gameplay.

• By Kangaroorex
      I am not good at telling stories on paper.  my mind races far ahead of where the story wants to go and I never get it right so I will let the diorama tell itself.  this is an original copy of the Clutch of Fear produced by Ral Partha in the early 1990s.  The piece is high lead content.  so soft infact that without some strategic pinning the joints fail (or so I have been told). 

The basic story is that 2 egg thieves come to relieve a mother dragon of one of her eggs and she comes back early catching them just as they are leaving.  The setting on the box seems to be some type of sulfur spring or volcanic hot spring and I get the impression of stillness of morning broken only by the shriek of an enraged mother.

I went pretty classic on this one, going with the red dragon and robin blue eggs like the box art but decided that the spines and chest plates should be more contrast than the slightly darker red of the box.  I took the original base pieces included in the box and expanded them to a small diorama of a hotspring using Magic water, a transparent epoxy to create the water around the spring.  The resin developed a little bit of a lip at the edge but I wasn't willing to cut it down and risk the clarity of the water by trying to sand and polish the resin. (its more rubbery that solid and difficult to polish -- I tried on two sample pieces and it didn't work out well.)

anyway the WIP is here if your interested:  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/94482-a-new-year-a-new-old-dragon/

and here are the images of the final project.  Hope everyone has as much fun looking as I did creating this.  Feel free to comment and question away as always.  The project was a lot of fun and the they got the expression of the egg thief who is looking back to see an enraged mother dragon bearing down on him just about right!

One shot from the human's perspective to give an idea of the trouble they are in....

And one from a mothers perspective as she hones in on the ones who are trying to steal her precious eggs!

• By Mckenna35
      Friend of mine asked me to paint these for his Flames of War army.  He did the assembly and primer, and will be adding crew and markings.  He likes painting 15mm infantry and can't stand doing vehicles for some reason.  I'm pretty much the opposite!  Anyway, I'm assuming they're Battlefront models.  Base colors were airbrushed with Tamiya.  Details and highlights were Reaper and Vallejo. Tried using oil paint for the wash for the first time and 'm really impressed with how well it works for this application.  Surface tension is a LOT lower than using acrylics so it's a lot easier to get the wash into all the nooks and crannies.  Used pigments to add 'texture' to the tracks and dirty up the fenders.  All the 'metal' bits are actually done with a mechanical pencil and 2b lead. Pretty happy with how these turned out.

• Who's Online   19 Members, 1 Anonymous, 62 Guests (See full list)