Getting to Know You, March 2021

Morihalda

22 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Friday, March 5: It's Reaper Virtual Expo! Are you planning on attending? What are your expectations?

Weekend Quest: Tell us about any fun con classes or experiences you had! Life outside of the expo works for this quest too. :)

I'll be in a couple classes, and I did get my quad color done on time this time

• Like 8

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/5/2021 at 12:04 AM, Morihalda said:

Friday, March 5: It's Reaper Virtual Expo! Are you planning on attending? What are your expectations?

Weekend Quest: Tell us about any fun con classes or experiences you had! Life outside of the expo works for this quest too. :)

Yes, and not much, mostly due to the Hamsterling. We'll see how it goes. I'm signed up for 4 classes today.

• Like 10

On 3/4/2021 at 11:04 PM, Morihalda said:

Weekend Quest: Tell us about any fun con classes or experiences you had!

My first class was one of Corporea’s she was doing blue skin on a giantess. 

They have done a very efficient job of scheduling the classes I want to take in the same time slots as other classes I want to take. It turns out that Zoom will only tune in to one meeting at a time. 

Life outside of the expo...

A friend I hear from very rarely decided to call me in the middle of ReaperErrant and One of the classes I wanted to listen in on (the latter two were scheduled at the same time).

I have no real idea what happened on Reaper Errant save that: ...there was snow, ...the music was different ::(: (it wasn’t awful music or anything), ...there was a good fog effect, ...it was a bad day to be an Elf named Derek. 

• Like 8

Following up on the second part of the weekend's question...

I managed to take a couple of classes over the last couple of evenings and have had a few classes streaming in the background while tearing apart my hobby space. The two where I actually painted something were pretty fun. They were a class on gore and one on OSL. I didn't have half the stuff needed for the gore class but still managed to get a few gnarly looking (and horribly out of focus) zombies:

553789125_IMG_20210307_1246439482.thumb.jpg.c0f8573e7d51c9ccaec97df0a40a583f.jpg

And here's my first attempt at OSL. Nowhere near being good enough to call it successful yet, but now that I have the idea I'm sure I'll improve.

68116763_IMG_20210307_1246177772.thumb.jpg.903d09ca42393caf77637067012637ef.jpg

I also got out and did some bird watching over the weekend. No pictures of that unfortunately. But I did manage to see a Pine Warbler and some early arriving kinglets, both of which were a bit of an out of season surprise.

• Like 13

I have done a few classes.  I will do more when they post the recordings.

• Like 9

Couldn't have asked for better weather to be outside this weekend. We got a lot done. Barely started on the vegetable garden though. The blue tags are where I put in garlic during December.  The cage on the left protects strawberries (and needs rebuilding).  Today was mostly weeding and picking up fallen branches in the yard. 

Before and after:

2021-03-07.thumb.jpg.cf9212c664761295fbcc28fe0bf6f881.jpg

• Like 12

Phew, took quite a few classes:

1. It's all about the wood
  2. Off the Page and On the Table - Comic Style Painting
  3. Miniature photography for beginners
  4. Fun Faces
  5. Painting Scales
  6. Planning and Painting a Tartan
  7. Miniatures and game aids for TTRPGs
  8. It's Full of Stars
  9. Fun and Easy Effects
  10. Advanced Concepts in Miniature Photography

Other stuff:

• Watched several games, panels, and talk shows.
  • Hunted for tags
  • Supported the Roogtarki. Oonda the Great's blessing be upon us.
  • Made some memes.
  • Entered the Faction Fight three color challenge.
  • Won a Reaper gift certificate from watching the RVE Cyberpunk game with the Reaper staff.
  • Cooked a pork shoulder in the oven and managed to break my meat thermometer.
  • Laundry.
  • Starting to update shipping addresses for my move.
  • Tired, sore, sleepy.

The best thing about the classes is how you discover that all the techniques are quite simple once broken down into smaller steps.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Monday, March 8: I miss seeing you lovely folks in person, but what are some positives about virtual conventions?

The most obvious benefit is that folks who couldn’t typically go, due to financial constraints can attend. Assuming they aren’t busy with other stuff.

• Like 11

14 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Monday, March 8: I miss seeing you lovely folks in person, but what are some positives about virtual conventions?

It's far away, but I still get to participate a little bit. And it lets me bug Ron for flumphs, and engage in counter-trolling to keep him in check. I think it's safe to say that here.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I'll go with "its so much easier to turn off the noise!" 

Conventions can get loud, noisy, and overwhelming.  Being able to escape that by taking off headphones or hitting mute is a very powerful too. 

...Says a fox that didn't attend, but still. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I don't attend.

I don't like virtual meetings that much and since I work from home on a PC I already have enough of that for work.

It just doesn't appeal to me enough to attend such things in my leisure time as well.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Morihalda said:

In adition to things already mentioned, you can get presenters from arouind the world, who might not be able to make it to a live convention.  That said, I was dreaming about being at a “real” convention last night...

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I'm really missing seeing people in person, too.

Best thing about virtual con?  I don't have to wear pants.::P:

• Like 2
  • Haha 11

5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

27 minutes ago, Chaoswolf said:

I don't have to wear pants.::P:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

No waiting in line for the restroom.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8