Getting to Know You, March 2021

11 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Wednesday, March 10: It’s National Mario Day! That’s right, Mario (Mar10) has his own day. When's the last time you played a game with Mario in it, if at all?

In the last few days. We got the 3D Mario 3 pack recently and I've been bouncing around between games.

• Like 9
  • Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, CashWiley said:

I did have a gamecube in the day but Eternal Darkness was the best game on there imo :D 

HS friend had one of those, no wait he had a SuperNES. We played WWF Royal Rumble (broke the game too, playing & we tossed 2 players out of the ring around the same time & the players pushed select to bring in the next wrestler. One player had the punches, anther had the legs. HA HA) & Looney Toons Basketball (damn that was fun game. We played it on hard setting).

• Like 7
15 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Wednesday, Mar10: It’s National Mario Day!

That is the Red One then?

15 hours ago, Morihalda said:

That’s right, Mario (Mar10) has his own day. When's the last time you played a game with Mario in it, if at all?

It would have been sometime in the late 90s (I think). If I played at all. I think I played a few rounds of a game where the lil' dude had to leap in the air at just the right time to snag spinning coins. There might have been fruit also. I was rubbish at it. There were purple pipes, standing vertically; you'd be stuck if you could not time a leap perfectly in order to fall into the pipe. Is that why Mario is supposed to be a plumber… because pipes?

Years later I was told these games have a Princess, but I never saw any hint of a Princess in that one. I did get stuck a lot.

10 hours ago, TaleSpinner said:

10 Donkey Kong Clones From The Early 1980s - Warped Factor - Words in the  Key of Geek.

I played this ^ but closer to the date listed right there on ^ the screen. In a pizza joint. That reeked of garlic, parmesan, and pepperoni.

I was rubbish at that version also. So bad that I doubt I wasted more than 12 quarters on it, perhaps less, before giving it up as a bad job.

Why did it have a dumpster fire at the bottom?

5 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

*Looks at other comments, sees most people haven't played in a long time...*

Being lumped in with "most people" is a rare thing for me. :rock: Thanks for that. :B):

5 hours ago, MusicalFeline said:

Uh... Yesterday, actually. :ph34r:

Not right there with you. 

Yesterday, I most certainly played a game of Really Bad Chess. (RBC)

41F2A74D-B500-4E37-B428-812EA13A736A.thumb.jpeg.98eed7c470881b3d65841e06ede651ee.jpeg

RBC is a phone game. There are chess pieces. But the 'army composition' rules get thrown out the window. In this example: 

The White King must have been a Turkish Pasha because he has a harem of 4 Queens, while the unfortunate Black King just had four Castles.

• Like 9
On 3/9/2021 at 3:39 PM, Morihalda said:

Tuesday, March 9: What's worse, peanut butter in the jelly jar or jelly in the PB jar?

(Froggy)

Even though I've never, ever had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich,  I'm firmly in the "clean your knives!!!" camp . 

I do occasionally have a peanut butter and nutella sandwich(banana is optional) and peanut butter/condensed milk sandwich is utterly amazing if your out hiking.  

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Wednesday, March 10: It’s National Mario Day! That’s right, Mario (Mar10) has his own day. When's the last time you played a game with Mario in it, if at all?

I think I was a kid, maybe playing some version of mariocart at a friends house? 

We've always used our Nintendo consoles for casual and multiplayer games, the serious gaming has always been done on Sonys machines. That said, I'm currently chugging my way through Breath of the Wild on the Switch right now. It's so pretty and a lot more open than previous Zelda games.

• Like 9
19 hours ago, ratsmitglied said:

Um....Sunday, I think

A few days ago. I own just about every Nintendo console and play them all regularly. Last I played was Super Mario 3 with the wife on the Switch. Still the best game in the series

• Like 6
18 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Thursday, March 11: What game (computer, board, RPG, other) have you spent the most time playing?

(Crowley)

According to Steam, I've played Skyrim for 679.2 hours. I also just got Monster Slayers, and it's frightening how quickly 3 hours have gone by when you don't even note the passage of time.

• Like 9
27 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Thursday, March 11: What game (computer, board, RPG, other) have you spent the most time playing?

I think it might be this one:

0169DD0B-0D9F-43F2-8D2E-4ABD88714DB4.thumb.png.000ec12c37437e68f9194a43f152da82.png

I helped invent it. (Ages ago.) And then much more recently I was appointed head bottlewasher and chief playtester. So I played allot of games of it

We call it Chessagon. 

Because we turned a chessboard into a hexagon. (It seemed like the logical thing to do since the squares had been turned into triangles.) It is available in the App Store if your phone is Applenabled. (Sorry Android folk, an Android version has not happened yet...) 

In the picture I have tapped on that piece that looks like a shield (a Duke) that one only has seven places it can go (all designated purple) one of which would capture a red pawn. The interface handily shows where each piece can move if you tap one —works with your own or the opposing pieces. 

Regular chess does not have Dukes. But the unusual board geometry (triangles) more or less required that they exist. Otherwise it has all six normal chessmen: P, R, N, B, Q, and King. 

• Like 9
54 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

(Crowley)

Definitely D&D (5e). Played tonight (Weds) at the FLGS as a player & last Saturday here at home in my garage as a DM. Good times!

• Like 8
59 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

(Crowley)

I believe I have logged over 3,500 hrs on Civ 5. I still haven't beat the game with every Civ.

As for others, I've been playing this game called "clean off the paint desk" almost daily for the past 7 years. I must be playing it on god mode, because it is impossibly hard. Every time I get close to seeing part of the tablecloth, a new boss monster in a blister pack or box shows up. The edges are looking a lot like a 3D version of Tetris. 

Edited by Great Khan Artist
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9
35 minutes ago, Pezler the Polychromatic said:

According to Steam, I've played Skyrim for 679.2 hours. I also just got Monster Slayers, and it's frightening how quickly 3 hours have gone by when you don't even note the passage of time.

Totally understand this one. Diablo on Battlenet with a friend when it first came out. We started around 6 that night & it was like 8 the next morning & even then I noticed only due to the sunlight coming through a window. ha ha

7 hours ago, TGP said:

That is the Red One then?

It would have been sometime in the late 90s (I think). If I played at all. I think I played a few rounds of a game where the lil' dude had to leap in the air at just the right time to snag spinning coins. There might have been fruit also. I was rubbish at it. There were purple pipes, standing vertically; you'd be stuck if you could not time a leap perfectly in order to fall into the pipe. Is that why Mario is supposed to be a plumber… because pipes?

Years later I was told these games have a Princess, but I never saw any hint of a Princess in that one. I did get stuck a lot.

31079425-mario_bros-png-scaled595_706x60

That would have been Mario Bros (note, no Super). It's been awhile but you knocked the turtles on their backs & then scooted them off the screen, I think to win. I never really played this one all that much. Luigi (his brother green shirt) was the 2nd player

7 hours ago, TGP said:

Why did it have a dumpster fire at the bottom?

Dumpster fire was if the barrels DK was throwing at you reached the very bottom corner, they'd turn to bouncing fireballs that would come after you. DK throws the first barrel down to start the fire. Afterwards only the hammer would kill them (thou generally meant Mario slowed down costing timing when trying to reach the top to get to his girlfriend. She wasn't a princess yet in that one.)

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

(Crowley)

If we go by old Xfire statistics, it would be Eve Online, even though I haven't played that for years.  Easily logged tens of thousands of hours playing it.  World of Warcraft would have been next after that... 

As for more recent games, that title would probably have to go to Elite:Dangerous, with The Division 2 coming shortly afterwards, although with like a quarter of the hours. 

The past week?  Spreadsheet Wars, where you're at war with your own budgets, hopes, dreams, and ideas as you plan out the next little while! :p

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

(Crowley)

Hrrmn.,.. Various flavors of D&D have eaten many hours of my time.

Computer games.. many, MANY hundreds of hours on WoW. At least 500+ hours on PUBG (I am SUCH a potato), going on 300 hours on Oxygen Not Included .. .

I don't really play a lot of board games, but I've probably logged a hundred-odd hours playing cribbage with Andi/assorted others. 

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Morihalda said:

(Crowley)

Dunno.

Over the years there's been a handful of app games I've sunk a lot of time into (the latest being Empires and Puzzles). 

Annoyingly, the ones I really get into tend to be the ones the developers pull the plug on. Except for Tribez even I, the master of wasting time, thought that one became too much of a time sink (the time and resources you had to sink into making Frozen Rainbows was horrific).

• Like 8