Getting to Know You, March 2021

10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thursday, March 11: What game (computer, board, RPG, other) have you spent the most time playing?

(Crowley)

For a single game, I'd say minecraft. Between single-player (I've been playing a new world at least once a year since early alpha) and servers (I'm friends with a lot of sysadmins, for years someone always had a world up for our group), it's countless. Probably some MMO in there, I played those in the early days, favoring Ultima Online (where I played a lawman for a player town, his wife was a white-hat rogue who robbed pk guilds blind). Another strong one would be 7 Days to Die, I usually load up a new world with every alpha phase going back to alpha 7 or so. Also maybe Civilization is we're talking about series, I first played Civ on DOS, so....

For pen-n-paper, hands-down 1st ed AD&D. Grew up playing it since it was released, haven't felt the need to move on to other editions despite house-ruling the heck out of it. I love seeing the modern trend of big music and hollywood names playing D&D. My band always played it and it was, ahem, not as popular as it is today. So lots of subversive planning and meeting on the dl. It was pretty funny that the inner-inner circle of the band was the D&D group, so many socialites thought it was some elite party club or something :D I mean it was, just not what they thought!

Tradtional games, likely Spades or Rummy. Both very popular in the band era and were what the inner (but not inner-inner) circle played at parties. Spades was the more competitive game for us, Rummy was the chill, kill-an-afternoon game.

• Like 6
  • Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, haldir said:

31079425-mario_bros-png-scaled595_706x60

That would have been Mario Bros (note, no Super). It's been awhile but you knocked the turtles on their backs & then scooted them off the screen

1) I thought turtles were friendlies in Mario? :huh: ?

2) The one time I played (on someone else’s game console—don't ask me what kind) the pipes were magenta or purple. And they were oriented vertically. The little dude was supposed to fall down the pipe. 
And there were coins floating in the air against a light blue sky. 

That pic is not the one I remember. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Probably the RPG system my group wrote and have been playing for the last 20+ years. We gave up on forever changing rules systems, expensive expansions, and incomprehensible mechanics of most other roleplaying systems and so we just decided to make our own. We call it the Fully Adaptable Tactical Environment, or F.A.T.E. (no, not that Fate). We think it's pretty fun, even though we're probably biased. And someday one of us may take the time to actually type it up in a form that could be published (unlikely though, new RPG systems don't sell for crap). 

Other than that I've played a lot of Axis (really looking forward to Axis and Allies and Zombies once the group is back together in person), Munchkin, and the  Arkham Horror board game in recent years. 

Our homebrew system was called SLURP (Somewhat Logical Uncomplicated Roleplay) and has been through 6 or 7 revisions.  We haven't played in over a decade though.  Prior to that the first experiment with a homebrew system was FUCS (Fiendishly Uncomplicated Combat System).  The entire ruleset fix on 4 sheets of dot-matrix printer paper.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
10 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Thursday, March 11: What game (computer, board, RPG, other) have you spent the most time playing?

(Crowley)

RPG: Well, I've spent maybe five hours playing D&D that one time.... The fellas I played with are trying to start a campaign and I am right there with them, but it seems there is not a single solitary day within the next century or so that works for all of us, so. <_<

Board: Ooo, that's a hard one. Scythe, maybe? Perhaps Dinosaur Island, just because of how long it takes?

Video: Undoubtedly The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild. Dang, that game is good.

• Like 8

Most time played in a single game would be World of Warcraft or Skyrim for PC. For pen and paper I suspect AD&D 2e, but maybe Labyrinth Lord. 

Board game would go to Chess. 

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Dilvish the Deliverer said:

Our homebrew system was called SLURP (Somewhat Logical Uncomplicated Roleplay) and has been through 6 or 7 revisions.  We haven't played in over a decade though.  Prior to that the first experiment with a homebrew system was FUCS (Fiendishly Uncomplicated Combat System).  The entire ruleset fix on 4 sheets of dot-matrix printer paper.

I absolutely love those acronyms!

• Like 8
On 3/9/2021 at 8:39 AM, Morihalda said:

Tuesday, March 9: What's worse, peanut butter in the jelly jar or jelly in the PB jar?

(Froggy)

On 3/9/2021 at 8:50 AM, Thoramel said:

Peanut butter in the jelly jar. If it's jelly in the peanut butter jar you look at it and immediately know it's just some jelly. But when it's the PB in the J jar you look at it and think "Is that mold?," "When did I open this?," "Does this smell rotten to you?" Then you go ahead and eat it anyways and spend the next several hours wondering if every little feeling is the beginning of food poisoning hell. 

Thoramel has the right of it.

On 3/10/2021 at 12:03 AM, Morihalda said:

Wednesday, March 10: It’s National Mario Day! That’s right, Mario (Mar10) has his own day. When's the last time you played a game with Mario in it, if at all?

I’ve never played a game with Mario.

14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

(Crowley)

Probably Skyrim, for a single game, but if we count a type of game it goes to computer solitaire.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, TGP said:

1) I thought turtles were friendlies in Mario? :huh: ?

2) The one time I played (on someone else’s game console—don't ask me what kind) the pipes were magenta or purple. And they were oriented vertically. The little dude was supposed to fall down the pipe. 
And there were coins floating in the air against a light blue sky. 

That pic is not the one I remember. 

Remember Mario Bros was the first game to give the plumber(s) a name(s). Donkey Kong was the star, the other 2 were just cast of characters, even thou your guy was the hero. 1)Turtles have never been friendlies to Mario. I'm not sure in the first game, but they did give them a name "Koopa Troopa" ie minions of the big boss guy King Koopa. There is a green dino guy named Yoshi. Who starts out as a mount that used his tongue to help Mario, but eventually became a character you play on your own in later versions. 2) Most likely this is Super Mario Bros where the myth of Mario really started to take hold of people. The pipes were probably world (ie level) gates or a entry to anther screen on the same level. 

One of the later versions:

1463142144-article-1343855899087-1453231

The first one:

screenshot.png

(note the pipes in this were mostly green, but there some burple colored one, IIRC)

hqdefault.jpg

• Like 9

Forgot a board game: Scrabble. Grew up playing with my single mom (our other favorite was Boggle), and it's the favorite for me and the fiancee, as well. I have an ancient deluxe edition with a plastic slotted board on a lazy susan!

• Like 11
17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

(Crowley)

Most played on Steam is Skyrim, largely because I played it twice.  For the most part I play through the story and then move onto the next one, so most games come in under 50 hours.  Prior to Steam, either the Age of Empires Series or Starcraft.  I would bet both of them would outrank Skyrim but I have no numbers.

RPGs, probably D&D 4E because that was the edition everyone was free almost every weekend.  While I played 2E over a longer time period the gaming sessions were less frequent.

Board games, probably Axis and Allies just because I don't play a lot of board games. 

Mobile games is definitely Granblue Fantasy, though I haven't played in over a year.

Current vice is Fate Grand Order so it is winning this year.  Still under Skyrim though.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Friday, March 12: What is your favorite weather to see? Would you want to be outside at the time?

Weekend Quest: Take a photo of the weather!

I like Summer, being outside on a sunny day, blue sky, just a light breeze every now and then.

The weather today is bad...

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Friday, March 12: What is your favorite weather to see? Would you want to be outside at the time?

Weekend Quest: Take a photo of the weather!

To see, snow.  I don't mind being out in it, just not driving in it.  To be out in, blue sunny sky.

Looking at the forecast, it's overcast and rain until the middle of next week. There will be pictures of neither.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Morihalda said:

I like to watch a lightening/thunderstorm. Though they are destructive, I like seeing the the dark sky light up. And no, I do not want to be outside during it (DANGER, Will Robinson, DANGER!!).

• Like 7