Getting to Know You, March 2021

2 hours ago, Crowley said:

Well, there's the albino alligator in the sewer, the ongoing war between the rats and the squirrels, ghosts aplenty across the city...

I though your city got these guys to get rid of the ghost problem a few years back.....

5207.thumb.jpg.e886f88b53ebc0bb3a7dc035b0bb328a.jpg

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Oh, and Mothman collapsed the silver Bridge in 1967 in order to try and prevent my folks from getting married. 

You can't just drop that nugget of information without elaborating! ::o: 

• Like 6
  • Haha 7
  • Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Kuroneko said:

You can't just drop that nugget of information without elaborating! ::o: 

Just a family joke that's in rather poor taste. When the Silver Bridge in WV collapsed in 1967 my folks' bridesmaid dresses and groomsmen outfits were on a delivery truck on the bridge and ended up in the Ohio River. They were scheduled to be married three days later. The wedding went off, but with everyone in their Sunday best instead of matching outfits.  

A few years later someone wrote a popular book named the Mothman Prophecies (later a movie in the 2000's) that claimed the Mothman appeared as some sort of prophet or herald of disaster prior to the bridge collapsing. My mom at some point read that and just decided that Mothman is causing disasters and is actually actively trying to wreck people's weddings (pretty certain the book didn't claim this). It's become a rather tongue in cheek family legend. So for year's now whenever anyone brings up Mothman, cryptid stuff, or weird spooky legends in general my sister and I will explain that Mothman tried to ruin our folks' wedding, possibly to prevent us being born. 

Well, I've got news for Mothman... we're a stubborn bunch and it's going to take a lot more than missing outfits to stop us!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

That's some good cosplay on the bottom there. They put a loooot of work into that.

I once found a web page that listed all the myth type monsters per state. I wish I could find that again.

• Like 9
14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Wednesday, March 17: Do you know any spooky or funny urban myths?

There's reportedly some prohibition-era tunnels downtown, and a few mild stories to go with them, mostly conjecture I think. 

• Like 9
14 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Home has the legend of the Hatchet Man. The first recorded murders in the county were by Andrew Hellman, who had severe misogyny issues. He poisoned two of his three children (he had disowned the third, claiming infidelity by his wife), and then murdered his wife with a hatchet. He escaped jail, and fled to Maryland, where he assumed a new name, remarried, and eventually did the same thing to his second wife, but this time was tried and hung in 1844. He is said to haunt the county road where he lived with his first family, and the cemetery on the same road with his children's headstones. His own headstone in that cemetery is said to give off an eerie glow.

The historical society says that the vast majority of that legend is true. They were the first recorded murders and accurate, his children are buried there, and there is a headstone that says "Andrew Hellman" but it's a different man who died in the late 1800s. That headstone does give off a glow, but it's supposed to be made of mica minerals, which has light reflecting properties (which we all know as mini painters from our metallic paints!). Andrew Hellman's body was never brought back to the county for burial, and is most likely buried in Maryland where he was executed.

As for the haunted road... well, I've never been down that way at night...

• Like 8
18 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Not urban myths, rural ones. I'm responsible for perpetrating a few of them. We used to tell my cousins from the city not to scare the cows, or their milk would go sour and the calves would starve. There's also the perpetual myths of chocolate milk comes from brown cows and cow tipping. All the years I worked in the feedlot, the animals would sleep laying down. Occasionally, on a really nice day you could sneak up on them and rub their backs. Once, someone at another feedlot managed to sit on a snoozing calf. The animal was fat and ready for market. It saw her, flipped out and had a heart attack and died. We also used to tell them to pet the pigs with caution because they would bite your fingers off and eat them. We stopped doing that after news of a certain serial killer gained nation-wide attention...

Speaking of serial killers, I used to visit a friend at the homeless shelter. I would take cookies down and share them with the residents. We would sit outside and share stories. One day, someone told me that some guy beheaded another guy on the Greyhound bus. I said, "Yeah right. The next thing you're going to tell me is that Elvis came through here yesterday." They insisted it was true. Turns out, it was!

Finally, the real Sam McGee is buried near my hometown. He's part of a famous ballad called "The Cremation of Sam McGee." Read about it here, if you like: https://www.producer.com/farmliving/on-the-trail-of-the-real-sam-mcgee/

• Like 7

I've got no idea about the area I live in now, but there used to be some good ones pretty close to where I lived in Connecticut.

There's Norwich State Hospital:

Throughout its nearly 100-year history as a facility to treat the mentally troubled, Norwich State Hospital has seen more than its share of horrific suffering, traumatic events and senseless tragedies. Consequently, it comes as no surprise that the grounds are purported to be haunted by the tortured souls who were sent there seeking better health but instead found eternal pain.

The original facility was built in 1904 on 100 scenic acres along the Thames River on a site that apparently was an ancient Native American village. (Sound familiar?) Christened as the Norwich State Hospital for the Insane, it originally was comprised of two buildings for patients and a cottage for doctors. Over the decades, more building were added and the property was expanded; at its peak, the campus was over 470 acres and included over 30 buildings, many of which were connected by underground tunnels. The hospital’s population started with a few dozen declared by the courts to be “criminally insane,” but steadily grew to the point that at various times there were hundreds of patients (murderers, drug addicts, violent offenders, etc.) being “treated” here throughout most of the 20th century.

The first documented misfortune was a patient who hanged himself in 1914, but many more unfortunate deaths would follow. A hot water heater explosion in 1919 killed two employees; another employee was killed trying to cross the road; a nurse killed herself at her home; multiple patients died during their sentences or while undergoing treatment. Many more died shortly after release following a “successful” stay, usually in tragic or violent manners.

One of the most notorious buildings was Salmon Hall, which was the maximum-security facility and where some of the most dangerous residents were kept. One of the hospital’s original buildings, it essentially became a prison with bars over the windows, steel doors and cell-like rooms. It was witness to many severe incarcerations and unpleasant events until it was shut down in 1971.

If the population at Norwich State Hospital wasn’t troubled enough already, over the years there were numerous published reports and investigations into cruelties inflicted by the staff, including beatings, starvings, sexual abuses, overly harsh restraints, prolonged confinements and even the occasional patient being packed in ice! Not exactly an environment conducive for wellness.

Norwich State Hospital was officially closed as a treatment facility in 1996 and its remaining patients were transferred to other facilities around the state. Since then, the gorgeous grounds and former stately buildings have sat vacant as the state of Connecticut and the town of Preston have struggled to resolve what is to become of the property. 

As you might imagine, because of the numerous horrors and untimely deaths, many believe the property to be haunted. It seems an especially fertile spirit-hunting ground as essentially every kind of paranormal experience has been allegedly witnessed here, from reports of ghostly shapes and disembodied voices to foreboding feelings and EVPs. Oh, and plenty of spirit orbs and other unexplained mists/shapes have been recorded, also.

i've driven by it hundreds of times, during the day it's bleak and desolate; at night it's actually kinda creepy.

Then, there's the Devil's Hopyard state park:

Legend has it that Satan himself has been seen sitting on a boulder near the top of the falls and playing his fiddle, and dark shadows have been spotted in the woods. Witnesses also describe orbs, mists, demonic voices, laughter, and strong, uneasy feelings. The 860-acre state park was named for these devilish legends and for the malt house and hops field believed to be located nearby in the 18th century. For centuries, the parkland was used by Native Americans as a meeting and gathering place. According to some local legends, the park is named for Satan himself, who reportedly played in the house band while the Black Witches of Haddam held sabbat. The Dark One reportedly enjoyed a perch atop Chapman’s Falls, a 60 foot waterfall in the park’s center.

i've been camping there a few times, and it certainly gets extremely dark at night, perhaps even unnaturally so....

• Like 8
On 3/16/2021 at 10:12 PM, Morihalda said:

The two that pop up the most for me is Mothman & the Jersey Devil. Helps I was & still am to a point a NJ Devil hockey fan. :devil:

I guess this one too, thanks to my son's obsession for Ghost Hunters tv show:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Alton_Bridge

(which by chance is behind Reaper HQ. I may have to visit it this year as I spaced off going to it, last time I was there for RCon)

• Like 9
26 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Thursday, March 18: If you could learn the truth of any one mystery, myth, or conspiracy theory, which would you choose?

If it's true that we already made contact with Aliens.

• Like 11
49 minutes ago, Morihalda said:

Thursday, March 18: If you could learn the truth of any one mystery, myth, or conspiracy theory, which would you choose?

... I think Glitterwolf stole my answer. 

Barring that, if there actually IS sapient life on other planets.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

Those are both really good answers.

4 hours ago, Morihalda said:

There's a lot I could think of, but I'm not sure if knowing the truth would be worth all  the (potential) trouble.

• Like 10

Would our reptilian hollow Earth overlords be aware I knew this truth??? That could be dangerous!!!

I'd like to know the truth on the theories that we live in a multitude of universes (or as Marvel would say, the Multiverse) and if travel between them is possible.

Be nice to know that somewhere out there there is a me that got rich and lived happily, or at least got his armies painted before he stopped playing the game......

• Like 4
  • Haha 9

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Op Shoo Op? tops my list.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 10