Getting to Know You, March 2021

Morihalda

13 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Monday, March 29: What food do you like that you didn't expect to like?

(Xiro)

I remember not liking pepper as a child, though now that I've grown up I enjoy spicy foods of all kinds. Another big one was olives, I always hated them and only found that I liked them when my wife ordered a sub for me and loaded it with everything, that's where I found that black olives is a salty complement to the other ingredients.

• Like 6

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Morihalda said:

(Xiro)

Eggplant.

My dad used to get these frozen eggplant parm dishes when I was a kid and it just came out as this gross soggy slimy mess and all the cheese couldn't make me like it.

As an adult, I was introduced to properly made eggplant, and oh boy, what a difference!

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Loim said:

I've never heard of sauerkraut with caraway in it. Interesting.

It's commonly used to flavor it in Germany. Whenever I go to Aldi before I buy a jar I check the ingredients. Never really found a store that didn't have an option without caraway.

I could really go for a Reuben sandwich right now.

• Like 7

15 hours ago, Morihalda said:

(Xiro)

I haven't tripped over many of those. I do approach some foods carefully, but that's out of not being sure if something's been prepared correctly for what it is. 

I was a little bit hesitant about sushi; raw food can have hazards! but I do really like it. Not keen on calamari, but that's not a flavor thing.

I've always said I'll try anything at least once.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Morihalda said:

(Xiro)

I really like shark and ostrich. I don't remember where my friends got a hold of them but they brought it in and  cooked it in school. They were both amazing.

• Like 5

Friday, March 26: What is the most daring thing you've tried when painting? How do you think it came out?

hmm]

Lizard men in the style of Baroque Masters - 

Trying to replicate the painting style of my favorite Period painters.  I learned a lot doing the styles of El Greco, Carvagio, Rembrant, Velacruz, Rubens  and Vermeer.  I think it really changed the way I paint and defined my art goals.  

(Speed, Beauty, Whimsy) 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/84941-painting-in-the-style-of/

the figures that came out of it weren't amazing, but the journey was like nothing else. 

The next year (2020)  I did Monet and the post impressionists - that was just a lot of fun,  but I learned less.  

I should give Suerat (pointalism) another try focusing more on color theory and less on technique. 

https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/89719-painting-in-the-style-impressionists/

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Morihalda said:

Tuesday, March 30:  Instead of rebooting movies, retelling them from a different point of view became popular.

It did..?
When did this happen? News to me...

Which movie would you like retold?

(reddit user porcupineapplepieces)

I dunno... :huh:

Monty Python and the Holy Grail from the point of view of the Black Knight? ...or maybe the rabbit. 

• Haha 9

Tuesday, March 30:  Instead of rebooting movies, retelling them from a different point of view became popular. Which movie would you like retold?

Star Wars, from the perspective of Tag and Bink. There was a comic about them where everything that happened in the movies is due to their hijinks behind the scenes.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, TGP said:

It did..?
When did this happen? News to me...

I'm guessing it's not a "recent" thing, and not limited to just film. Theater productions like Wicked (Wizard of Oz retelling), and films like Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty) come to mind. Or Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead (Hamlet).

7 hours ago, Morihalda said:

Tuesday, March 30:  Instead of rebooting movies, retelling them from a different point of view became popular. Which movie would you like retold?

I can't think of anything to be honest. I know people generally tell the story from a villain or side-character's point of view, but I can't think of one that interests me. Maybe a Bond villain, Alec Trevelyan (Sean Bean in Goldeneye) maybe? The problem is I feel like we get enough of why he's doing what he's doing in the original movie already. So I don't know.

Edited by ManvsMini
  • Like 7

Telling a new story appeals to me. Doing retakes on old films shows a distinct lack of imagination.

HOWEVER, if they had to do yet another episode in the never ending Star Wars series, one with Jabba the Hut as the hero would be an idea; re, he seemed like a fun guy..

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

The Star Wars universe has a series of story anthologies based on this concept. "From a Certain point of View", many familiar events from the movies from someone else's perspective.

And they're considered canon!

They even have it on audiobook. ::o:

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 7

8 hours ago, Morihalda said:

LOTR from Sauron's point of view

How dare those Hobbits throw his priceless ring into the fire after all that he went through to find it again?

Edited by Glitterwolf
  • Like 2
  • Haha 9