2021: Painting during the Pandemic (March goals)

Its buckyball and the first of the month

So what are people painting this month?

I will start off:

1.  Finally finish my Anno Domini Cossack  leader for this month's painting contest
  2.  3 Commission miniatures
  3.  This month's terrain piece
  4.  This month's mithril miniature

Painting for other people will put a dent in my productivity this month.

I am also running two games of Rangers of Shadow Deep for RVC this weekend. That also wont help

My hobby goals for 2021 include:

• Painting one piece of terrain each month [On track with 3]
  • Painting the 17 miniatures in my annual box (15 now)
  • Painting my Cossack faction for Anno Domini (one so far)
  • Paint some more modern figures for Zona Alfa
  • Painting one Mithril miniature each month [On track with 3]

buckyball

• Like 6

Hmmmm, I think I'll go relatively easy on goals for this month... 

- further progress on LAV-III

- sculpting work on gnoll driver for Midnight Raid

- finish editing photos I took over a week ago and actually post thrm

- finish building Gunner Zaku Gundam (and maybe start some of the work I'm plotting for it) 

- continue work on Queen of Hell (would be great if I finished her this month) 

• Like 5

I have a big pile of stuff to paint!

3x - 03605: Devil Rays

3x - 03622: Sharks (2)

3x - 03497: Pygmy Savages (just the people)

1x - 03297: Female Rogues (3)

1x - 03327: Fighting Women (3)

1x - 03335: Wizards (3)

4x - 03319: Fighters (3)

1x - 02005: Tox

Lots of minis but tbh I don't think it'll be too bad - I'm going for tabletop quality so no fancy shading, but hopefully by the end of the month I'll have human mooks out of the way :D

Edit, 3/13/21: I finished up the four Wizards, the Pygmies, and the fighters... 25 down, 14 to go!

• Like 8

I have a handful of figures I'd really like to finish: 

3867 Alethia Edair

14645 bladesinger sister

77051 orc stalker

77681 Blink, gnome

77163 storm giant

77340 avatar sekhmet

Most have paint on them and have had for some time. Storm giant needs a base. Blink is new. 

Two crowdfunding projects delivered last week, and I'd like to get some of the pieces printed and prepped for painting.  Depends on DH's free time, but I have to remind him.  Also have a pile of stuff printed last year that has been waiting for inspiration.  I'm aiming to get two of the older ones done. 

I do not have huge goals for this month, as garden season has started and I must do some backyard cleaning and get early vegetables planted. 

• Like 6

Well as usual I've been printing...and I haven't even finished all my minis yet.

So..ehhh.

I do at least want to paint

• EPIC-Serpent Summoner
  • AG - Goraku Oni Mage
  • Tabletop World - Town House
  • Work more on my Vampire Hunter Steamwagon diorama.
  • Whatever I pick from the pile of half/unpainted minis

• Like 5

Modest goals for this month because I have important work to do that I should focus on first. Will finish printing and painting my first 2 WW2 forces and some more terrain for them. May start making a late war Soviet force but not a high priority. Me and the oldest have been trying to get #2 son to try some scifi/futuristic skirmish gaming with us so may switch to making and painting things for that. Dug out a large part of my old 40k collection for them to look at. I have a lot of minis but not so much painted for it. Not feeling super obsessed with anything like I was in February. Lots that I could be doing but going to take it slower for a bit. Try to do something every day before spring hits and I need to work a lot more.

• Like 4

Trying to stick to my goal of 12 minis

Here's my current lineup though I may swap some things out if my interests shift.

- 3 Nolzur's spiders - I also want to try sculpting some fun bases for them
- Webbed Victim - This is kind of a freebie since it came as a basing option with the spiders and won't take long to slap paint on for scatter purposes

- Bones 4 Female Knight

- Bones 4 Female Fencer

- 6 Nolzur's Gnolls

Bonus Paint Goals:
- Dungeons and Doggies Ranger

My goals are all influenced by things I want/need for Rangers of Shadow Deep.  I think I will break up the gnolls into pairs and work on them alongside the other models on my list this month, rather than try to paint 6 at a time and get burned out.

• Like 5

Things have kind of gone south for me in my 'real life' - my prior 2021 goal is being tanked (30 minutes a day painting....), so I'm just going for finishing the three dire wolves on my paint table,

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I finally got the elf infantry done that had been on my list and in my eye line for months. 18 minis that I was trying to do as a single batch... 

Goals for this month are to clear one other long running project, either my vikings or my goblin pirates. 

I then have some of the Reaper Crimson Knights that I am working on, mainly using contrast paint, and other projects around the edges. 

• Like 4

Setting goals didn’t work very well for the last couple of months...I think that it makes things feel too much like work.

That said, in a spirit of play, I cleared the usual work stuff off of my desk for a three day weekend, pulled out my travel paint kit (of ~20 bottles, a mini wet palette, back up magnifier, and 2 main brushes), and worked up a half dozen Prince August 25mm fantasy figures.  I’ve been idly painting them since I cast a bunch last summer, and these six take me over the top on what is needed to run a little solo skirmish game with Song of Blades and Heroes. It will use all new scenery (since last March), too.  So, not a bad weekend, on top of which I listened to a couple of talks at the RVE.

Edited by Rob Dean
Added link to travel paint kit
  • Like 4
On 3/9/2021 at 9:18 PM, SparrowMarie said:

I've got a few things need finishing:

• Pig and Cart
  • Annoyed Rocky as Spyro
  • Frost Giant Queen

I also want to start Grimtalon the Roc as an American Kestrel.

Pig and cart are done, Rocky as Spyro is done. Frost Giant queen has been shelved temporarily. I did get around to starting Grimtalon.

Tacking on an additional goal now that I have the tools: put the new agitators I got into bottles and mix them up on the vortex mixer I also just got. That one might take a while.

• Like 3
On 3/5/2021 at 4:14 AM, Brianuk said:

I finally got the elf infantry done that had been on my list and in my eye line for months. 18 minis that I was trying to do as a single batch... 

Goals for this month are to clear one other long running project, either my vikings or my goblin pirates. 

I then have some of the Reaper Crimson Knights that I am working on, mainly using contrast paint, and other projects around the edges. 

I got back into the swing of things. I still haven't done the vikings or goblin pirates, and will probably break them down into smaller batches and think harder about why I want them to be painted up. 

I did get a lot done by volume, but lots of fantasy minis in heavy armour (ie oathmark dwarves and orcs) that I can drybrush and wash and then see that 80% is done. 

I also found a box id been using for a paint queue. Lots of random minis in it and I ended up finishing half of them off, which was a nice feeling. 

This Easter, either the goblins or the vikings or the crimson knights are going down... 

• Like 3
On 3/3/2021 at 1:49 PM, MoonglowMinis said:

Trying to stick to my goal of 12 minis

Here's my current lineup though I may swap some things out if my interests shift.

- 3 Nolzur's spiders - I also want to try sculpting some fun bases for them
- Webbed Victim - This is kind of a freebie since it came as a basing option with the spiders and won't take long to slap paint on for scatter purposes

- Bones 4 Female Knight

- Bones 4 Female Fencer

- 6 Nolzur's Gnolls

Bonus Paint Goals:
- Dungeons and Doggies Ranger

My goals are all influenced by things I want/need for Rangers of Shadow Deep.  I think I will break up the gnolls into pairs and work on them alongside the other models on my list this month, rather than try to paint 6 at a time and get burned out.

Well. I really struggled finding motivation this month and got caught up with an issue with basing some spiders.

About mid month I switched gears and started working on a set of twelve "Hell wasps" for use as giant flies and giant wasps. I'm nearly done with those so I'll hit my quota of twelve after all. Just not how I expected. 

• Like 4