Jump to content

Multi-part Bones figures


Adrift
 Share

Recommended Posts

I’m curious as to what other people’s interest would be if, as part of Bones 6, they featured fewer total figures, but increased options for customization per figure? 
 

There were a few in Bones 5 that had options and I really enjoyed putting those together. 

 

Might not fly with the folks who just want gobs of minis, but I already have gobs and gobs so it got me thinking. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I'd pledge for this over a static miniature. I can print out minis with optional hands/weapons etc, but overall I think this aspect of the hobby is best left to actual physical miniatures. I hate printing out tiny stuff on my printer.

 

Supposedly the argument is gamers just want minis they can plop down on the table & play. I say learn how to do put things together, get over the fear! Hell, if I can do it, everyone can do it!

 

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Adrift said:

I’m curious as to what other people’s interest would be if, as part of Bones 6, they featured fewer total figures, but increased options for customization per figure? 
 

There were a few in Bones 5 that had options and I really enjoyed putting those together. 

 

Might not fly with the folks who just want gobs of minis, but I already have gobs and gobs so it got me thinking. 

 

I like it.

 

But I'm a bit biased.  I once proposed a similar idea for "group" minis (i.e. town guards, mass thugs, etc.) to get a little more variety.  I really dislike duplicating figures.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not a fan. I love kits, but there are lots of companies doing this already. GW is a major one. These also tend to be made on sprues, with a different plastic than bones are. I heard on the boards that in an early bones kickstarter there was a weapons pack. For some reason, it didn't work out and wasn't made commercially available. This is a good indication that multi-part options might not work.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I asked some of the Reaper folks about this subject a number of years ago at Gencon.  Their answer at the time was that because Bones material is so cut it makes kitbashing figures together much easier than with other miniatures.   They then invited my brother  and i to come back the next day and do just that.  I made a hill giant armed with the weapon from a demon and my brother made a  two armed figure into a four armed demon with a animal skull for a head.  They even had sculptors there to help.  I think Rob Ridolfi sculpted the new shoulders on my brothers mini.  

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, aku-chan said:

Not something I'm interested in, but I wouldn't mind if that was a route Reaper went down.

Has Reaper ever done much in the way of minis with options though? I've got a Dwarf with a choice of weapon from them, but that's the only one I can think of.

 

Last Halloween they had a few multi option figs. There has been a few in their history thou. Bones, I'm not so sure.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
5 hours ago, Hibou said:

I asked some of the Reaper folks about this subject a number of years ago at Gencon.  Their answer at the time was that because Bones material is so cut it makes kitbashing figures together much easier than with other miniatures.   They then invited my brother  and i to come back the next day and do just that.  I made a hill giant armed with the weapon from a demon and my brother made a  two armed figure into a four armed demon with a animal skull for a head.  They even had sculptors there to help.  I think Rob Ridolfi sculpted the new shoulders on my brothers mini.  

That's pretty cool!!

 

I like the idea.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I'm not a fan. I love kits, but there are lots of companies doing this already. GW is a major one. These also tend to be made on sprues, with a different plastic than bones are. I heard on the boards that in an early bones kickstarter there was a weapons pack. For some reason, it didn't work out and wasn't made commercially available. This is a good indication that multi-part options might not work.  

Last time I looked at GW's kits, they'd moved away from sets like that. Now the parts all are designed to make very specific minis, not to allow for much customization at all. The Frostgrave kits are a better current comparison.

 

The weapons pack issue was more of a miscommunication with China about how it was supposed to be made, and what China came back with didn't work for easy retailing.

 

I'd be up for some multipart kits, especially for things you need a lot of like bandits and town guards.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Moderator
40 minutes ago, Crowley said:

Last time I looked at GW's kits, they'd moved away from sets like that. Now the parts all are designed to make very specific minis, not to allow for much customization at all. The Frostgrave kits are a better current comparison.

Yup, they're going for 'more dynamic' figures. They have succeeded (IMO), but at the cost of easy customization. You still can customize them, but now it requires a lot of cutting, gluing and green stuff sculpting skills.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, strawhat said:

I once proposed a similar idea for "group" minis (i.e. town guards, mass thugs, etc.) to get a little more variety.  I really dislike duplicating figures.

I wish they would do this.  Even if it's just simple hand/weapon swap options.  It would also be a good way to get large groups of minis without needing 12 sculpts.

 

14 hours ago, Great Khan Artist said:

I heard on the boards that in an early bones kickstarter there was a weapons pack. For some reason, it didn't work out and wasn't made commercially available.

From what I've heard it was more of an issue with packaging as the sprues didn't fit any of the existing packing.  This causes an issue with retailers needing to designate a new shelf space for a new package.

 

11 hours ago, Hibou said:

Their answer at the time was that because Bones material is so cut it makes kitbashing figures together much easier than with other miniatures.

This is interesting since the newer formulas like Bones Black and USA aren't as easy to cut.  I wonder if they would revisit this idea now that the material is shifting away from the softer bones.

 

8 hours ago, aku-chan said:

Has Reaper ever done much in the way of minis with options though?

There were a few options in Bones 4.  There was a devil with multiple head and hand options I believe.  And the core came with a dragonkin warrior that had multiple hand/weapon options.  There's also a knight coming in Bones 5 who has the option of her own head or a helmeted one.  Definitely seems like something they are experimenting with more and more.

My general thoughts are that it's fun and useful for getting more mileage out of each mini.  Less complaining about a figure not holding the exact weapon you wanted, or having an army of clones.  But I wouldn't want them to go completely this route as it does result in some less dynamic figures and can mean some pretty unsightly mold lines.  Sometimes I do just want a mini that's ready to go out of the package.  But I'd be happy to see them add a few options here and there.

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gw is a mixed bag in terms of modularity.  The Gloomspite Gitz faction has some amazingly modular kits with their Troggoths kits as well as the Boingrot bounders.   Those kits are so modular that you could buy multiple boxes and you would never get duplicate minis.  Who ever designed those sets are amazing at their job.  

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Modularity of character models would be nice but I would be more interested if they did other creatures that they have not covered up to this point.  We have lots of goblins, dragons, giants, kobalds, orks, daemons and undead.  There are many other creatures that do not see the light of day in miniature. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would love to see it.  At the very least, it would be nice if the figures that are multi-part in metal came with the same options in Bones. 

 

You can't kit-bash them into one of the forms you can make with the metal mini if there is no cast of the alternate head, for example -- but if that other head came in the pack so you could lop the attached one off and install it, that would be great.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...