Continuing onward!  After watching both Photon & S lcd replacement videos by Anycubic on YouTube,  I decided to march on. I removed the double sided tape on top & it wasn't as simple as the video as it was stuck on there quite well. The top layer came up before the tape I ended up leaving a little residue I'll need to remove. I took the connection out at this time. That part was really easy, I can see why the tape is used. The tape holding the cable down was also hard to come up I left allot more then the one that held the cable from the top. I'll need to remove all of it before continuing on. 

I might fire up the heat gun for these. I might need it later for the screen (especially if the ds tape is same).

16156057636188267360506622297386.jpg

SUCCESS!

Glad the daughter is into cosplay (foam bending) ^_^

On to removing the screen! (little did I know what coming up for me thou......)

16156062225291685215038328212356.jpg

• Like 2
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Success!!

After heat treatment, the residue easily came off & next was the lcd itself. I started with tweezers but those were not getting under it. I brought out out the heat gun again & went & got my metal putty scrapers (One is a paint palette knife (cheap from Big River Site)) from my FDM supplies. It took both them & the heat gun but it's off!!

I used the little one to prop up the screen & the left it there, so the bigger one could make it's way around the edges better. Eventually I turned off the heat gun & just started to pull upwards until the screen was free from the tape.

@Glitterwolf You asked about the tape. You want that screen flush so none of the corners or sides catches the FEP, when you side the vat in & out. I know your worried about doing all of these. If it needs to be done, do it!! You'll feel better about doing it & knowing you can do it.

16156072607619161107947735687013.jpg

Also, here is shot of the light array inside a Photon S for those curious. The square you see in the glass is the actual piece that shines the light. Obviously, it sits at the bottom under the array. Notice the sticky double sided tape. I'm glad I held off getting that as I would have gotten the wrong tape. Thanks to @Jasper_the_2nd I had some idea what to expect once my LCD was off. (thanks Jasper!!)

16156073390345314025759890127243.jpg

The lcd didn't want to come out freely as the cable didn't come want to slide/pull out. So I had to see why & Anycubic put a piece of double-sided tape near the base/hole underneath!! Wtbroccoli!! Luckily the area was still warm from me trying to get the lcd off that this tape easily came off, once I got the tweezers in there & yanked on it.

I did notice this. The plastic support under the heatsink is slightly warped. I'm wondering if it did this due to the heat gun use?? I'm not sure as I wasn't paying any attention to this piece earlier. Either way nothing really is harmed. Btw mine is plastic vs the FDM printed piece in the example machine I started this thread with.

16156076963676499867787793839969.jpg

Also the tape that was under the LCD screen appears to still be sticky, so I won't need to replace it, besides the side with the cable. Thou tbh I don't think there was much on that side to begin with, as it wasn't under the cable, just the sides.

Onward!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well stopping for now I can not find the roll of double sided tape I saw in the garage about a week ago. (I did find a package I thought was still in transit over the Atlantic. :lol:)

I'll have to go get some in the morning. I'm glad I'm doing this. It wasn't so bad undoing the screws taking the sides off & such. I did remove my lid completely, as it is flimsy but not as bad as some people have said. I mainly just didn't want to ruin it removing a side. It's when I got down to removing the lcd & cable were it felt uncomfortable due to super glue tape.

Now that I've typed all of this I think I know why I couldn't find that tape. I recall pulling a little bit off & coming to the end of the roll...oh well, heading out early so I can tackle this printer! I took a sheet of that Post It notepaper & covered the whole so no new dust could enter inside.

Also while I can really get into the interior of print box, any suggestions on cleaning products? I've heard of some products removing the uv coating & I definitely don't want to do that!

Till tomorrow! 

• Thanks 1

Well I got the lcd in & it's secure with the old tape. (Sorry it's upside-down but right now that is the way my machine is right now.

16156646046861557457678665401540.jpg

Connector is in as well.

1615664676699968054348669121371.jpg

Problem attaching the new fan. It's taller then the stock photon fan.....

1615664729961455407680651497087.jpg

The standoffs are too small or the screws are too short to accommodate this as well. Sigh. Thou it should be ok.

16156648753431248887526674986039.jpg

Debating on just sticking the stock fan back in & do the fan at a later time. I need to think a bit on this one now. 

To be continued....

• Like 2

Ok rebuild continues, 

I checked some of my order pics & noticed I was putting the screws in thr wrong holes (duh). I needed to use the outer edge ones. Either way, the standoff posts were too long for the screws with the new fan.

I ended up cutting off the ends a bit. Around an 1/8 of an inch off using a tube cutter I bought "hundred years ago" for use in model work.

I then sanded down the end to smooth out the cut. I'm attempting to mount the fan. Hopefully this works or I'm gonna need standoffs & I have no idea where to get more.....

16156706218174655205682975715121.jpg

• Like 2

Ok, I give up in the new fan. Posts were still too long. I tried the old fan & it still sits fine on the shortened posts. I decided to add the grille/mesh, it fit just fine. Plug has been connected, time to button my machine back up!

First thou I'm gonna apply my kapton tape as getting in there to do that is a pain with the enclosed box.

16156720975363759483028867320548.jpg

• Like 2

You thought  forgot about the protective films.....nah I knew they were there & removed both sides. I ended up going with black electrical tape this time around. I like the look.

On to the case!

16156729261666028672262175025464.jpg

• Like 2

It's done! Now I just gotta test it & relevel & all that fun stuff. 

I'm sure whenever I have to do this again it'll be allot quicker. Glad to have done this, just to do it & get over the fear of screwing up my machine to were I can't use it anymore.

Off to run tests!!

Oh bonus,  just for kicks,  I decided to see if the glass from the old lcd could be removed. Success!  Since my other replacement screen has no glass, this makes that one usable!

Bonus 2 is I got the adapter free as well.

16156743731027910423286191488955.jpg

16156744521131451139021668065737.jpg

16156746598154687732645012155363.jpg

• Like 4

LCD replacement is total success!!! All 3 screen tests were solid. Also the fan was silent as well, so maybe I jittered something around when I tried to change it out.

• Like 3
6 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

Still a bit confused about what kind of doublesided tape to use?

Thin style double sided tape. I chose the poster tape due to the backing paper on it.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Awesome!

Still a bit confused about what kind of doublesided tape to use?

If you have Elegoo replacement screen, it comes with all the tape you'll need.

Sounds like the Proton's screen was harder to take off (more stuck down).  The Mars I did it exactly like their video, just hooked the corner with a snap off box cutter/utility knife, and lifted a bit until I was able to get my nails under.  Very easy.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

If you have Elegoo replacement screen, it comes with all the tape you'll need.

Sounds like the Proton's screen was harder to take off (more stuck down).  The Mars I did it exactly like their video, just hooked the corner with a snap off box cutter/util yerity knife, and lifted a bit until I was able to get my nails under.  Very easy.

I got two spares, Original Elegoo Mars.

Didn't open them yet, still working. ( paws crossed)

• Like 2