Sign in to follow this  
Neyuttad

Classic Battletech vs CAV

other than the fact that they both involve futuristic mecha robots and other units, they are like chalk and cheese.

I love both but I love CBT more.

Stuart

I am trying the CBT rules right now and at first glance it seems to be a fun and tactical game.

As for CAV I haven't tried the rules yet but i found the minis to be a little too blocky, none of them compare to the coolness of a Shadowcat or a Ryoken

I like the CAV mini's way better than any of the CBT mini's I've seen since the 3055 TR was published.

I love CBT.. I was very heavily involved in it for years and years. I have very serious issues with how things have gone since FASA sold the license though.

I think CAV has gaps in the rules that don't exist in CBT, but CAV plays much, much faster than CBT. I like being able to field an entire company and get the game played in one evening.

Neither game is "better". They're just different.

Technically the "official" scale of BT is 1/285 (US Microarmor scale, roughly compatable with 6mm or 1/300, European Microscale).

The thing about BT is that the game is a glorified beer n' pretzels game that has matured into something more mainstream. The game takes several liberties in the interest of playability. So if you have problems wit machine guns with a range of only 90m then you won't like the game. However, if you chalk that up to game abstraction it plays pretty well.

IMHO, the area BT has over CAV is the setting. The BT setting is probably the most expansive, best detailed in the gaming industry, with hundreds of years of detail. It also has no aliens (a somewhat daring stance in SF, considering so many other games seem to consider them obligiatory). I've played the game and "been into" the universe for 19 years, and I don't think anything will replace it for me. In the past couple of months I've probably spend a couple hundred dollars on the game, compared to all my other gaming, which has been negligible...

Damon.

I have played CBT for almost 21 years.

And to be honest, that is the biggest difference. CBT has that kind of time behind it to grow and develop. CAV is pretty fresh. And we are already starting to see its first evolution (hopefully shoring up some of those gaps in the rules mentioned above) with the expected CAV 2.0.

As for the minis, I guess everyone will have their own tastes. I have seen CBT minis for so long that I really enjoy the change of feel with the CAV minis. I will agree that there are a few that I dont care for (name a game where that is not true) but overall, and especially with the newer sculpts, I think they are very well done.

From the way you ask, it sounds as if you are familiar with both games but are relatively new to both... If that is the case, feel free to ask any questions you want.

Are the two lines of mini interchangeable?

The Mechwarrior Dark Age series miniatures ARE the same scale as CAV, though. I've been working on a system that will allow pieces from MWDA to be used as-is in CAV, but so far I've only done the Mechs--Infantry and Vehicles will have to wait as I get more information.

No possibility of merging the universes, tho'. The Malvernis and House Liao share the same home star system, for example. ::P:

One thing I haven't already seen mentioned here - in CAV, conventional forces are more on a equal level with their mecha counterparts than in CBT. They're still effective there, but they can be 'destroyed' with even light damage.

Nope. CAV is 10mm, and CBT looks like it's about 6-8mm. An Atlas mech looks like it'd be on the lighter side of a heavy CAV.

I think comparing CAV and CBT is difficult at best. Mechs tend to be larger, but "lighter" because realistic mass was never applied in CBT (An Atlas would be far heavier then 100 tons.). CAV tend to be smaller but their weight is probably more accurate.

CBT holds a special place in my heart just because I played it for so long. The system is weighty and vague and things like ranges, weights, sizes tend to be all over the board and not entirely consistant, if that's important to you. The game itself takes forever to play if you play with more then a handful of Mechs per side. We used to play company sized battles that would take the better part of a day and we often playd 6-10 hours. In return though the system is more "detailed". I don't like the static damages really but it takes die rolls out of it and that reduces its play time a little more.

As someone pointed out it's got a rich universe behind it. It's been around for a long time and in it's prime had lines of books, minis and game supplements enough to usually warrant it's own section in a game store. Before something like 3040 in the CBT timeline, the game as actually more fun in my opinion. Technology was weak, so you had to think a little more about how to use your Mechs resources to destroy your opponent, heat was always a concern. With the coming of the clans it took the soul ou of CBT in my opinion. It turned into just another big mech game where you slap as many weapons onto your mech as possible and blast away mindlessly until it's all done.

CAV is more streamlined, you can play a company sized game in a couple of hours tops. It manages to get enough detail to make it somewhat interesting, but currently the limits of variation are too small. That sounds like it's getting changed however. The game plays quick which is nice, especiallly if your just looking for a quick pickup game.

CAV historically has been weak on fluff, but that too is going to change.

Overall CAV is a relatively new game and so is still growing. It has a lot of potentialy and it seems like the reaper crew is finally interested in tapping that potential and doing something with it. I feel over the next year the game is going to get much much better. It's fun to play now and that makes it an exciting time for CAV in my opinion.

From the way you ask, it sounds as if you are familiar with both games but are relatively new to both... If that is the case, feel free to ask any questions you want.

Actually I only have limited experience with either of them. (having played using the introductionary rules)

I must say i'm enjoying CBT very much so far. One day, I would like to try the CAV system but I'm rather reluctant about spending $10 on a single playing piece (even more after learning about the company-focused playing style)

Sounds like what you need to do is hook up with a Black Lightning nearby and have them run you through a few games so you can make up your mind about jumping in with both feet. ::):

If you do decide it's a game for you, I can't recomend the starter set strongly enough. It gives you everything you need to play and the mini's that come with it are not a bad section at all. Just tonight one of my newer players used that same section, with a few tweaks, and placed second in our Warmaster format tournament. Plus, it's a way better deal than buying all the components seperately.