Classic Battletech vs CAV

Neyuttad

From the way you ask, it sounds as if you are familiar with both games but are relatively new to both...  If that is the case, feel free to ask any questions you want.

Actually I only have limited experience with either of them. (having played using the introductionary rules)

I must say i'm enjoying CBT very much so far. One day, I would like to try the CAV system but I'm rather reluctant about spending $10 on a single playing piece (even more after learning about the company-focused playing style)

Actually even in CBT different factions use different equipment and many of the tournments I've heard about require you to use faction list for equipment... now if yer only planning on playing friendly games then it of course wouldn't matter (the same for CAV).

And yeah CAV is slightless more expensive but in my opinion the model look alot better... (and once again the HEROTIC opens his big mouth) for that matter I think MWDA's figures look better then classic's...

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a friend whose 2000-point army is two models.

Remember, a modern tank platoon is four vehicles. That platoon would be $40-$50 if you use CAVs, and like $20 if you use vehicles.

How much does a 2000-point 40K army cost, again?

Right. Back to the topic at hand, I've played CBT once, and it was fun too. It's not so much the game that turns me off from it, it's the single-minded zealotry of the CBT players here (with a few exceptions, Chris). I used to be that way about CAV, I admit, but I've loosened up considerably.

Edited by Herr Oberfroschmeister

Well, I have played Battletech for a long time. It was actually the game that got me started wargaming, so it holds a special place in my heart. However, I lost interest once FASA folded. Fanpro is doing a great job, dont get me wrong, but it just isnt the same.

As for spending $10 apiece on mins, CBT minis can range from 6.00 to 11.00. So the prices are about the same. The everage was right around 8. So you are paying on average 2 dollars less a mini for one thats half the size and not as well sculpted.

Frosch, seeing as how I just recently purchased a 200 poit 40k army I feel I can answer that question. It cost me around $600. And that was AFTER my discount. SO no the game isnt cheap. :blink:

It's not so much the game that turns me off from it, it's the single-minded zealotry of the CBT players here (with a few exceptions, Chris). I used to be that way about CAV, I admit, but I've loosened up considerably.

Once upon a time I would have probably been one of those zealots. I was crazy about battletech.

When I got on the CBT boards I began to get turned off by the zealotry I saw there though. Plus, I'm not enthused by the Dark Age universe and the inevitability of the CBT game going to that future. I lobbied long and hard to keep them seperate "universes" but to no avail.

The CBT universe of the old days, under FASA was amazing and will always hold a special place in my heart. I played hundreds and hundreds of hours in that universe and devoured everything Stackpole, Coleman and the others wrote about it. I even wrote hundreds of pages of fiction set in that universe that all my friends thought was pretty good. But a couple of years ago something happened that forever soured me on FP and WK. Luckily Reaper was there with CAV, and of course all you nice people here, and I was able to find a "stompy-robot" universe to plunge my imagination into.

Thank you for the compliment Lanse. ::):

I played some BT back in the day. Some Mechwarrior roleplaying too. Great universe. I actually don't mind the new WK rules, but I got sick of getting a frickin' bulldozer every time I bought a frickin' pack. And forget about buying singles. $30 or more for most uniques? Forget that.

The current MWDA rules have some fatal flaws that could easily be corrected by a good long look at the CAV rules.

Things like move & fire for more than just VTOLS, better heat management for 'mechs (since when did even the worst heat mech ever build up enough to shut itself down just by walking?), and defensive fire...

I've played some MWDA... Don't care for it much though. Not really very impressed with the mini's either. I'll take my Starhawk VI's and Revenants any day ::):

I have to give Reaper credit for one thing. With only a couple exceptions, IMHO, the CAV mini's are great. ::):

Well..and they get released too slowly...LOL :lol:

I've played both, and have enjoyed both. I agree with DChihorn's evaluation that, outside of the cosmetic and mechanical, the major difference between the two is the longevity that CBT has enjoyed, and the massive amounts of material, refinement, and back story that goes with it.

I believe that 20 years from now, CAV will have a similar pedigree.

As for spending $10 apiece on mins, CBT minis can range from 6.00 to 11.00.  So the prices are about the same.  The everage was right around 8.  So you are paying on average 2 dollars less a mini for one thats half the size and not as well sculpted.

CAV ranges from 9-13$, not about the same at all when you only need about 4 to play CBT (from what I heard). I for one like minis to stay mini... and beside, i'm buying the minis to play the game, not the other way.

I just purchased 5 CBT mechs for ~30$ at thewarstore. (a Vulture was 6$) Now people are telling me CAV games are usally played in company level? now how many is that? I might consider buying the starter set if they release it with the new rulebook

the major difference between the two is the longevity that CBT has enjoyed, and the massive amounts of ... back story that goes with it.

I believe that 20 years from now, CAV will have a similar pedigree.

If some of us have anything to say about it, it will ::):

CAV ranges from 9-13$, not about the same at all when you only need about 4 to play CBT (from what I heard). I for one like minis to stay mini... and beside, i'm buying the minis to play the game, not the other way.

You can have a very satisfactory game with only 2 minis -- yours and your opponents. I like to play games with between 6 to 12 units per side, a nice all-nite long game, with a lot of different units/types for variety. If you know the rules well enough it actually goes fairly fast (especially since one guy in our group has the hit location table memorized...).

Damon.

As for spending $10 apiece on mins, CBT minis can range from 6.00 to 11.00.  So the prices are about the same.  The everage was right around 8.  So you are paying on average 2 dollars less a mini for one thats half the size and not as well sculpted.

I just purchased 5 CBT mechs for ~30$ at thewarstore. (a Vulture was 6$) Now people are telling me CAV games are usally played in company level? now how many is that? I might consider buying the starter set if they release it with the new rulebook

the new rulebook won't be out for over a year or more

I beleive a typical CAV company (which includes combine arms) is about four to five section (4 models each section). Now if yer just planning on playing Mechs in CBT then yeah all you need is 4 minis for a lance (which is a typical game). How I've found combine arms armies in CBT don't mix well... and there are fewer CBTers that play with them.

I play both CBT and CAV...

When I want some mech on mech fights I play CBT

And when I want Combine Arms I go with CAV (which used to be MWDA for me)

CAV is just better balenced for Combine Arms then CBT... just compare the infantry units from both...

CBT: low damage, high fatality, can't remember the cost (but I believe it was low as long as they weren't anti-mech trained)

CAV: respectable damage, moderate fatality, moderate cost

MWDA: high damage, low fatality, unbelievable low cost (infantry are more dangerous then artillery)

So enclosing, it all depends on whether you want combine arms or mech on mech action...

One more thing... MWDA figures still look better just look at the hatchetman CBT (thin skinny bowlegged) and compared to MWDA's Hatchetman (thin legs but nowhere a gapped as CBT's) :devil: